Baltimore to Los Angeles -- Suggestions for BBQ, Lodging, Biodiesel, Etc.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
I'm leaving in 36 hours for Baltimore. After a day or two in the Baltimore area, I'll be driving back Hwy 70 to Hwy 81 to Hwy 40. Any suggestions for great BBQ, interesting lodging, trusted mechanics that I should be aware of along the route, an occasional sight I just shouldn't miss, convenient biodiesel, etc.??? Mostly I'll just be heading home, but I could tweak the trip a slight bit for the above.

Thanks,
Al

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Have a great trip!
Check biodiesel.org for the supply chain en route to TN.
Flying J truck stops carry low sulphur D2, Shell stations carry ULSD.
As long as you are on the road use B99 since the fuel will stay warm enough to be fluid, put D2 when in town and visiting so as not to "gel-up".

Get the MPG for the trip, we all like to know and compare...;)

I live in lower Colorado and a COOOOOLD front is coming by these next few days, so check the weather for what kind of fuel to use.

Good tripping:D , and do not "jinx" yourself looking for mechanics on the way there. You have this page to check the availabily of them, so believe in the TDI as most of us do and GO with wings :)

john

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
OOPS! You are the one going to Los Angeles, sorry.

Fuel is about .40c more in California so fill up and bring a jug to get out of there :p .

Luck, wings and a TDI. What else is needed? :confused:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
In Memphis, look for Corkeys. It's a chain, with a few stores around town. www.corkysbbq.com

downtown you can try the Rendevous, though I don't know the address off hand.

This time of year, watch the weather. I81 gets snow and ice.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Wow! good luck. I want to do that also, but from NJ to LA, and HWY 101 and Disney Land and Hollywood, and and and ... I wish I can trade places with you:eek:
Left Coast Resident said:
I'm leaving in 36 hours for Baltimore. After a day or two in the Baltimore area, I'll be driving back Hwy 70 to Hwy 81 to Hwy 40. Any suggestions for great BBQ, interesting lodging, trusted mechanics that I should be aware of along the route, an occasional sight I just shouldn't miss, convenient biodiesel, etc.??? Mostly I'll just be heading home, but I could tweak the trip a slight bit for the above.

Thanks,
Al