www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 9th, 2019, 05:46   #61
Spipa

TDI(s): Mk 7 GTD

Hi Schultze,

So how many km have you driven now after replacing the heater core? And still no coolant boil out? And how severe is the coolant loss?

How often did the boil outs happen before you replaced the heater core?

Last edited by Spipa; August 9th, 2019 at 05:52.
Spipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 01:40   #62
mm-rocco

TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spipa View Post
Hi Schultze,

So how many km have you driven now after replacing the heater core? And still no coolant boil out? And how severe is the coolant loss?

How often did the boil outs happen before you replaced the heater core?

This info would narrow the search for a long term solution, i am so fed up with this problem !
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 01:43   #63
mm-rocco

Can any of you allready confirm that the blow out of coolant only accurs just after the DPF ???
Old August 10th, 2019, 02:49   #64
Spipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm-rocco View Post
Can any of you allready confirm that the blow out of coolant only accurs just after the DPF ???
I am 99% sure that is the case. Since the coolant overflow only happens to me after a dpf regen during highway journeys. I never experienced a coolant boil out without the dpf regenerating the night before.

If you think about it, have you ever had a coolant boil out after just city driving? Or like me, only after highway trips?

Last edited by Spipa; August 10th, 2019 at 03:03.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:08   #65
mm-rocco

Quote:
I am 99% sure that is the case. Since the coolant overflow only happens to me after a dpf regen during highway journeys. I never experienced a coolant boil out without the dpf regenerating the night before.

If you think about it, have you ever had a coolant boil out after just city driving? Or like me, only after highway trips?

@Spipa Only motorways......on citydrives or short drives the engine will not be warm enough to do a full DPF-cycle.....
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:13   #66
mm-rocco

If you have a Blue Tooth CANBUS connector laying around you can use the free version of the VAG DPF app. I have been monitoring over 3000 kilomters now and i am convinced the the both are related...
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:15   #67
Spipa

Quote:
@Spipa Only motorways......on citydrives or short drives the engine will not be warm enough to do a full DPF-cycle.....
So that supports the theory of the dpf regens being the cause of the problems. During city driving (even with engine getting hot) and higway trips without a dpf regen, everything is just fine for me. If we just could legally remove the dpf..
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:20   #68
mm-rocco

Quote:
So that supports the theory of the dpf regens being the cause of the problems. During city driving (even with engine getting hot) and higway trips without a dpf regen, everything is just fine for me. If we just could legally remove the dpf..

I think it is the clogging up of the heater core, heater matrix which is just behind the Partikel Filter. After the DPF proces extrem hot air is blown against the heater core, as there is no circulation cause of the clogging this could cause the certain blown out of coolant.

Removing the DPF is not an option for us

I hope Schultze can backup the theory by confirming his problem is gone after replacing the heater core AND he can confirm that his blow out of coolant problem was related to DPF as well.......of that is the case the solution would be nearby

Last edited by mm-rocco; August 10th, 2019 at 03:31.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:31   #69
Spipa

Quote:
I think it is the clogging up of the heater core, heater matrix which is just behind the Partikel Filter. After the DPF proces extrem hot air is blown against the heater core, as there is no circulation cause of the clogging this could cause the certain blown out of coolant.

Removing the DPF is not an option for us
I hope that you are right, I just find it strange that the heating works completely fine when the dpf is not regenerating. If the heater core indeed is clogged, wouldn’t the heating be affected all the time? Not just during regen? My knowledge of cars is very limited but it doesn’t seem logical to me. I am waiting for my next regen to check the if the heating shows weird symptoms for me.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:35   #70
mm-rocco

Quote:
I hope that you are right, I just find it strange that the heating works completely fine when the dpf is not regenerating. If the heater core indeed is clogged, wouldn’t the heating be affected all the time? Not just during regen? My knowledge of cars is very limited but it doesn’t seem logical to me. I am waiting for my next regen to check the if the heating shows weird symptoms for me.

I am not a mechanic either, i did a lot of reading about his problem and the heater core and DPF seems to be related. We will see what Schultze thinks after replacing the heater core.
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:41   #71
mm-rocco

Quote:

@Spipa Is you car still under warranty ??
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:43   #72
Spipa

Quote:
@Spipa Is you car still under warranty ??
Unfortunately not
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:53   #73
mm-rocco

Quote:

Last weekend i did a test with the heating. Just after the DPF-proces i turned on the heating to max and drove for about 10 minutes then i stopped and checked the engine bay, coolant reservoir. The coolant in the reservoir raise almost near the top far above mex but did not blow out. Hopefully this information helps with solving the puzzle..
Old August 10th, 2019, 04:05   #74
Spipa

Quote:
Last weekend i did a test with the heating. Just after the DPF-proces i turned on the heating to max and drove for about 10 minutes then i stopped and checked the engine bay, coolant reservoir. The coolant in the reservoir raise almost near the top far above mex but did not blow out. Hopefully this information helps with solving the puzzle..
Did your heating show anything weird or no difference compared to normal? And did you put on the heating during the regen or right after it finished?
Old August 10th, 2019, 04:07   #75
mm-rocco

Quote:
Did your heating show anything weird or no difference compared to normal? And did you put on the heating during the regen or right after it finished?

Just after REGEN and the heating was warm but no extreme heat...