www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:21   #346
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Koni Sport Springs

Two years ago I installed Koni FSD struts and shocks on my Jetta TDI. At the time, I decided not to spend the money on new springs because the FSDs were advertised as working well with the OEM springs, and they did.

Late last year, the Koni Sport Springs went on sale, so I bought them, and yesterday, I finally got around to installing them. As advertised, the new springs lowered my car about 1-inch all around. Of course, my wife doesn't understand why I NEED to lower my car at all.

I used new strut mounts and all the essential bolts and nuts holding everything together. An air impact gun is a must for removing and installing struts and shocks, as well as spring compressors.

When I removed the front struts to install the new springs, I scraped off the chipping paint and repainted them with Gold Rust-Oleum spray paint. Amazingly, it was the same shade of gold. It bothers me that after spending so much money on the FSDs that the paint started to chip right away, which caused them to start to rust. I've heard others complain about the same thing. Realistically, the chipping and rusting will likely continue. Regardless, the FSDs work great, and hopefully the new springs will make the driving feel even better.

Tomorrow after work I'll go get the wheels re-aligned.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue (Birdie)

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 28th, 2017 at 19:01.
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:14   #347
squire89
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 jetta
Fuel Economy: low 40s

the set up you have is very very nice. I used it for like a year and a half before i upgraded to some fk coilovers. it will handle a lot nicer in the corners.

for another well needed mod on this platform look for a used 28mm swaybar. brand doesn't matter, but it will reduce body roll a fair amount. you won't need to worry about your front one for the most part, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to your front endlinks(not too expensive). i don't know how much that it helps as i did a lot all at one time.
Old May 16th, 2010, 16:23   #348
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Thanks; I'm sure I'll like it too.

I already have a rear sway (stabilizer) bar (Post Nr. 76) and an Upper Front Stressbar (Post Nr. 121). I don't get much body roll with these two bars plus the DG Panzer Plate installed.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 28th, 2017 at 19:02.
Old May 16th, 2010, 21:21   #349
tothemax
Veteran Member

This job is such a PITA.... What a ball buster... I have to say R&R the front shocks is for me one of the most back and knuckle busting jobs on my car. Glad it was you Chris and not me doing this. You will love the lower springs and the way the car will look and feel. Good Job! Post some photos of how she looks with the lowered stance and the body work.
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 00:15   #350
squire89
Veteran Member

i'm sure the car will look very nice. i am looking forward to seeing some updated pics of this fine modded machine.

Last edited by squire89; May 17th, 2010 at 00:20.
squire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 00:22   #351
squire89
Veteran Member

what do you currently run for rims in summer?
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:26   #352
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire89
what do you currently run for rims in summer?
Squire89, you can see the answer at Post Nr. 267, including a picture.

Quote:
i'm sure the car will look very nice. i am looking forward to seeing some updated pics of this fine modded machine.
Now that the front third of my car looks so nice with the new paint job, I want to replace the scratched up bottom air deflector (spoiler). After that, I'll take some pictures and post them. Maybe I can convince my wife to take a picture of me with my project car.

While working on the car this past Saturday, my wife comes out to the garage and asks, "Why can't getting into the car, turning the key, and just going be good enough?" Women! Most just don't understand our desire to make our rides better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax
This job is such a PITA.... What a ball buster... I have to say R&R the front shocks is for me one of the most back and knuckle busting jobs on my car. Glad it was you Chris and not me doing this. You will love the lower springs and the way the car will look and feel. Good Job! Post some photos of how she looks with the lowered stance and the body work.
Yes Pierre, the whole job is a pain. Now you know why it took half a year for me to finally install the springs. However, since I installed the struts and shocks two years ago, I knew what I was up against. That Metalnerd spreader bit doesn't work as well as I would like, and I totally ruined a nickel to get some more opening space for the struts. Even installing the rear springs was a pain (hint: be sure to disconnect both shocks before removing and installing springs). It pretty much took me all day to do this job, and I'm glad it's done. I was rather tired on Sunday morning. I still think changing out a clutch and flywheel is harder, and I did that twice!

I have to say that I'm not sure what "R&R" means. Maybe I'm getting old and this is some sort of texting jargon; though I'm not really that old (i.e., not too many gray hairs). To me, "R&R" means rest and relaxation, which this modification certainly is not.

Two more modifications coming soon, and then an upgrade to RC5 in June.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 28th, 2017 at 19:05.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:20   #353
shizzler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 BEW Wagon
Fuel Economy: mid 40s

Haha. Nice work, also waiting for new stance pics!

R & R is "remove and replace"
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:31   #354
squire89
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer928
Now that the front third of my car looks so nice with the new paint job, I want to replace the scratched up bottom air deflector (spoiler). After that, I'll take some pictures and post them. Maybe I can convince my wife to take a picture of me with my project car.
if you don't have it already look into the 4 motion front valence or spoiler as you called it
Old May 17th, 2010, 16:17   #355
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
if you don't have it already look into the 4 motion front valence or spoiler as you called it
I decided against the Bora 4-motion front valence. I don't really like the look of it, and I was able to pick up the OEM front valence and a water deflector (mine broke a few months ago) from my local dealer at wholesale.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 28th, 2017 at 19:11.
Old May 18th, 2010, 19:59   #356
tothemax
Veteran Member

Yes, taking out and putting the tranny back in is another bear. I have to swap out trannies between my Jetta and Golf and I dread doing it. I think I will pay my neighbor kid to do it for me. The 3.16 R&P may be great for a daily driver but it totally sucks for an autoX car.. It's gotta go .. .the second gear is way too tall and too slow. Going back to stock tranny in the Golf and I will use the 3.16 R&P in my daily driver Jetta.

You will love RC5 ....

Where are the photos of the lowered stance?

Quote:

Yes Pierre, the whole job is a pain. Now you know why it took half a year for me to finally install the springs. However, since I installed the struts and shocks two years ago, I knew what I was up against. That Metalnerd spreader bit doesn't work as well as I would like, and I totally ruined a nickel to get some more opening space for the struts. Even installing the rear springs was a pain (hint: be sure to disconnect both shocks before removing and installing springs). It pretty much took me all day to do this job, and I'm glad it's done. I was rather tired on Sunday morning. I still think changing out a clutch and flywheel is harder, and I did that twice!

Two more modifications coming soon, and then an upgrade to RC5 in June.
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:38   #357
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax
Where are the photos of the lowered stance?
Quote:
Ugh! The demanding pressure is killing me.

It's been raining lately. Supposed to be nice the next few days, so perhaps I'll be able to wash the Jetta and take some nice pictures. I would like to install the new front valence first, which I might be able to do tonight.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 28th, 2017 at 19:11.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:22   #358
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:

While working on the car this past Saturday, my wife comes out to the garage and asks, "Why can't getting into the car, turning the key, and just going be good enough?" Women! Most just don't understand our desire to make our rides better.

LOL, careful there, people get offended when you tell it like it is .
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:05   #359
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Wheel Alignment after Koni Sport Spring Installation

Here are the results of my wheel alignment after installing the Koni Sport Springs. The front was off a bit, but all is good now. Most important to me, my steering wheel is still straight (pet peeve).

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 28th, 2017 at 19:14.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:04   #360
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Quote:

While working on the car this past Saturday, my wife comes out to the garage and asks, "Why can't getting into the car, turning the key, and just going be good enough?"
A good response: "Same reason one pair of black shoes just isn't enough."
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote