2005 Jetta no Start blowing my mind

TDI
1997 1z passat(sold) 2005 BEW Jetta
I'm new here so bear with me. I have a 2005 BEW, I can't get the thing to start. It had a cam position code for the sensor and I verified it wasn't reading when cranking. Replaced the sensor and now no codes no start. Found the lift pump not coming on. I used a aftermarket pump with 12psi right into the fuel rail I ran it out of a bucket and also had the fuel return going back to the bucket. No fuel return even while cranking. Also I bought the car like this. They said it was running and driving until it was shut off and then would not restart. If it sits it seems to run for a second then die. Everything after is just cranking and occasionally tries to fire.

That's all the further I got to mess with it today. I was thinking the tandem pump has gone out but I'm not sure. Anyone have some insight? I could always figure out my other tdi(1997 1z) but this one is messing with me.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Could be a lot of things.
Does the glow plug light come on when you turn the key ON?
Check the timing belt, hopefully it did not break or is missing a few teeth.
You will have to have someone turn the crank with a socket & breaker bar while you watch the belt.
The belt must be tight also, no slack.
Is the battery fully charged?
If its bad and not cranking the engine fast enough the ECU may not be triggering the injectors.
I know the BEW is different then my ALH but it still has a Anti Shutter valve in the EGR housing.
If its closed no air goes in the motor to start.
Try to find out where the fuel from the bucket is stopping.
Can you disconnect hoses from the bucket return going backwards to see where it starts to flow?
I'm not familiar with the fuel system in your.

"If it sits it seems to run for a second then die"
Is the immobilizer light on on the dash?

Rich W.

TDI
The glow plug light comes on as it should. Although it shouldn't matter too much because I had it in my shop and it was warm enough to not need glow plugs.

Timing belt is not broken and does not appear to be missing any teeth.

It's got a brand new battery and I have been putting my jump pack on it as well.

I had the charge pipe off when swapping the CMP sensor and observed the valve open. Who knows what happens when cranking.

I'm assuming the fuel is stopping at the tandem pump. No fuel return either.

The IMMO light is not illuminated after the initial light test

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I would be pulling the valve cover and have a look at the cam, these cars are known to have bad cams... also VERIFY the timing belt and timing is actually correct.. it could have jumped.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Cam timing could do it also.
You would need the cam lock tool to see if it can be inserted with the crank at #1 TDC.
Not sure if the pump on the engine has a shut off solenoid valve on it.
I'm thinking the fuel not returning to the tank has something to do with it.

Rich W.

TDI
So I got it pulled into my shop finally, I had been messing around with it out in the lot because I had a bunch of customer work to do. Anyways. Took the cam cover off and everything checks out well. The egr valve was super coked up. I knocked some off and vacuumed all the loose bits out of the intake. I still had the charge pipe going into the intake disconnected. I cranked it and it started. It ran for a few seconds and then my phone rang and I shut it down. I went back to start it again and it fired. This time it ran for about 30 seconds and then died out. I had the throttle body unplugged. I disconnected it because it was humming and I wanted to know the sorce and I forgot to plug it back it. I had to leave for the day but I'm going to try to get back to it tomorrow with the throttle body plugged in and see if it'll stay running.