Alignment

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
I wasn't sure where to post this, if this is the wrong place let me know where...it's a 96 B4V, 150k, I finally replaced all the suspension parts and bushings from IDParts, to improve the front suspension. And everything seems to work fine, I just need an alignment.

In the past I've taken it to Les Schwab, but after taking apart my suspension and seeing that most of the adjustable parts were corroded solid, I don't see how they could have aligned anything and have lost a little confidence in them.

Is there a Seattle area alignment shop that comes recommended to do these cars? or even outside of Seattle.

thanks

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
All you can align is the toe. I do mine with a tape measure. Measure across the front of the tires, then the same treads across the rear. The difference is the toe in/out whicever is the case. I keep my toe 0-1/8" toed in. ECS tuning sells adjustable camber bolts if you see some obvious camber issues. The alignment shops basically rip you off everywhere. Save your money!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Front camber is adjustable without aftermarket kits. Eccentric bolts are only needed if a really large correction is required.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Front camber is adjustable without aftermarket kits. Eccentric bolts are only needed if a really large correction is required.
Eccentric bolts should NEVER be necessary. If you can't get the alignment into spec with the stock bolts, something is bent. Pure and simple.

Typically the stock bolts allow for an adjustment of anywhere between +3 degrees to -2.8 degrees or thereabouts. At least that's been my experience as an alignment tech. That's a HUGE range of adjustment. If you need more than that, something is seriously wrong.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Camber is very much adjustable, just depends if the shop have the correct tool. If not, they should be able to get it close just with basic tools.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Eccentric bolts should NEVER be necessary. If you can't get the alignment into spec with the stock bolts, something is bent. Pure and simple.

Typically the stock bolts allow for an adjustment of anywhere between +3 degrees to -2.8 degrees or thereabouts. At least that's been my experience as an alignment tech. That's a HUGE range of adjustment. If you need more than that, something is seriously wrong.
Agreed! ...unless you're trying to achieve something well out of the ordinary, like trying to get even tread wear on something like this! Yikes!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I stand corrected. I saw the process for adjusting the camber in Bentley but didn't have the proper tool. The eccentric strut bolts do a pretty good job. Anyone tried camber adjustment with home made tools?

Last edited: