Upgrade 2009 Jetta Headlights

Jeff7

TDI
None
Hey guys, so I'm going to be doing lots of highway night driving and there's lots of wildlife in my area so I thought I should upgrade my headlights, since they're not the brightest, especially the Lows. But this car (I've got a 2009 Jetta TDI) was bought because it was a good deal and I needed something good on fuel to mile up, so I don't want to spend too much money on it.

So I was thinking instead of 2 LED conversion kits (Highs and Lows) I could go with just one (the Lows, save like $150-250) but instead of an H7 bulb replacement, go with something like an H4 bulb replacement with 2 lights and wire in my high beams to them too. I know in my old chevy truck I put in a relay so my Lows stayed on with my Highs and this made a big difference for it. Thinking maybe this would be the same, would have LED lows and then stock Highs with the other LEDs on.

What do you guys think? Has anyone done something similar? Or do you guys have any better ideas to upgrade my headlights? I'm not sure what's going on under the hood for wiring right now, I'm away from home and it's -30 C so I don't want to be taking apart any plastics until I get home to a heated garage, they like to break easily when it's this cold haha.

Thanks!

DieselJunkie7.3

TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0L
Hey Jeff

Sorry to revive an old post, but did you ever figure out a solution?
I am looking to upgrade my low beams to LED, but due to VW's "creative" bulb bracket, it isn't a direct replacement and I haven't found any easy solutions. The best I've found is the adapter on the sight linked below. I'm thinking I can use this with some DIY wiring, but I'm not convinced this adapter will fit the 2009 Jetta or the LED light I'm looking at.

https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-volkswagen-h7-hid-bulbs-adapters-1999-2010-rabbit-golf-jetta/

Jeff7

TDI
None
No sorry man I never ended doing anything to it. I was on the lookout for stock HID housings I could easily swap in but never found any. I didn't have the time to try any projects as the reason I had the car was to commute to work (I was working 700km away from home for 13 months) and had no where to work on it. I sold the car this summer.