Location advice needed!

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
All...

Normally I wouldnt post this stuff in this forum, however, this is the most informative forum I've ever been a part of, and I'm in a time crunch - so figured I'd give it a go. If in the wrong forum, mods please move it.

Without disclosing too much info - I just got a job offer that requires relocation.

Here are the options I was given - If you have knowledge, info, suggestions - good or bad - on any of these locations, I'm all ears. I requested the weekend to make a selection...

Cost of living, general living, weather, people, etc.

Just trying to get as much insight as possible. I currently live in Lancaster, PA. I like 4 seasons. I wouldnt die without snow (NOLA) but also dont mind it.

IL - chicago

MA - boston

MI - detroit

NJ - newark

NY - alexandria bay

TX - presidio

VT - derby line

WA - blaine, oroville

LA - NOLA

Thanks!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Detroit, Chicago, Newark, you'll need a new set of body and vehicle armor. Alexandria NY High tax burden. The process of elimination.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Higher cost of living, but I would go PNW Blaine all day long on this list. ALthough VT would be very tempting

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
All...
Cost of living, general living, weather, people, etc.
IL - chicago
MA - boston
MI - detroit
NJ - newark
NY - alexandria bay
TX - presidio
VT - derby line
WA - blaine, oroville
LA - NOLA
Thanks!
My .02:

IL - Chicago: Very different from Lancaster, lots to do, too much traffic and noise and people.
MA - Boston: Love it, but cost of living is too high.
MI - Detroit: Lower cost of living isn't worth living in D.
NJ - Newark: No.
NY - Alexandria Bay: Beautiful, quiet, closer to PA, not much to to do in winter except snow sports, a bit remote.
TX - Presidio: Love Texas, but no- and definitely not as Border Control or Customs.
VT - Derby Line: Love that area of Vermont (NEK), maybe live in Derby or Newport. Beautiful, quiet, but a little remote.
WA - Blaine, Oroville: Blaine would be good, but live in Bellingham. Oroville is the most remote place on your list, along with Presidio.
LA - NOLA: Tempting, but no.

Beautiful, Quiet, Better for the Outdoors = Alex Bay, Derby Line, Blaine.
City, Restaurants, Activities, Big Sports = Boston, Chicago.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
My .02:

IL - Chicago: Very different from Lancaster, lots to do, too much traffic and noise and people.
MA - Boston: Love it, but cost of living is too high.
MI - Detroit: Lower cost of living isn't worth living in D.
NJ - Newark: No.
NY - Alexandria Bay: Beautiful, quiet, closer to PA, not much to to do in winter except snow sports, a bit remote.
TX - Presidio: Love Texas, but no- and definitely not as Border Control or Customs.
VT - Derby Line: Love that area of Vermont (NEK), maybe live in Derby or Newport. Beautiful, quiet, but a little remote.
WA - Blaine, Oroville: Blaine would be good, but live in Bellingham. Oroville is the most remote place on your list, along with Presidio.
LA - NOLA: Tempting, but no.

Beautiful, Quiet, Better for the Outdoors = Alex Bay, Derby Line, Blaine.
City, Restaurants, Activities, Big Sports = Boston, Chicago.
Awesome. Thanks. Lots of good insight. I've lived in chicago for a summer. It was fun. It was also 10 yrs ago. NOLA probably has the best opportunities.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I think it's easier if you define your parameters (either privately or online). Cost of Living is easy to compare, but the others depend on your preferences. I love the snow, so winter in some of those locations doesn't bother me, but the humidity in NOLA, for example, or the heat in Texas, can make it challenging in the summer. General living is tough- do you want the things that larger cities offer, or want to avoid the hassles that come with them? Would you rather have neighbors close by, or have acres of land? Even the nicest people may become a nuisance if proximity increases. New Englanders can be tough compared to how friendly the mid-west can be, but there are good people everywhere. I like NOLA alot for visiting and restaurants, but I prefer someplace smaller, with fewer tourists, and a wider selection when looking for areas to live.

I've been to each of those, except Oroville and Presidio itself, and don't know Blaine itself well. I'm biased towards smaller, outdoors, less pricey, and "safer," but I'm sure your criteria differ. Much of your evaluation may come from work circumstances- commute, people, hours, etc. Someone doing work connected to the borders, for example, will it varies significantly from region to region. Canada, minus the crossing at Windsor/Detroit is much more pleasant than some other areas.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it's easier if you define your parameters (either privately or online). Cost of Living is easy to compare, but the others depend on your preferences. I love the snow, so winter in some of those locations doesn't bother me, but the humidity in NOLA, for example, or the heat in Texas, can make it challenging in the summer. General living is tough- do you want the things that larger cities offer, or want to avoid the hassles that come with them? Would you rather have neighbors close by, or have acres of land? Even the nicest people may become a nuisance if proximity increases. New Englanders can be tough compared to how friendly the mid-west can be, but there are good people everywhere. I like NOLA alot for visiting and restaurants, but I prefer someplace smaller, with fewer tourists, and a wider selection when looking for areas to live.

I've been to each of those, except Oroville and Presidio itself, and don't know Blaine itself well. I'm biased towards smaller, outdoors, less pricey, and "safer," but I'm sure your criteria differ. Much of your evaluation may come from work circumstances- commute, people, hours, etc. Someone doing work connected to the borders, for example, will it varies significantly from region to region. Canada, minus the crossing at Windsor/Detroit is much more pleasant than some other areas.
Thanks. The best professional opportunity is NOLA. Best chance to grow professionally. But we have 4 big dogs. I thought I was set on NOLA, until we started looking at what types of properties were available and the commute times. We need a yard, and decent sized at that.

Alex Bay is beautiful, is building and expanding, so all brand new facilities in a couple years. Housing is much cheaper. 4 seasons. Much slower lifestyle. The issue is in getting stuck there and being unable potentially transfer out, and the professional experiences will be less varied.

This is much more difficult than expected.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been to all those places, some many times. Alexandria Bay and Derby Line Vermont sound appealing to me, but winters in both places are pretty harsh.

Since I've spent most of my life in the Boston area, and live on the South Shore, I'll comment more about this area. As I mentioned, I've traveled a great deal (enough to be Platinum for life on American Airlines), but greater Boston is where I choose to live. By and large I like the weather, although sometimes the gray in November and March can be wearing, and the humidity in July can be hard to take, but as folks say, no weather condition here lasts long.

Traffic is horrific. It isn't right now, but I don't think this is permanent. Real estate costs are among the highest in the nation, although they're more manageable if you get outside the Route 495 beltway. But don't trap yourself into a long commute. I worked downtown and traveled to the airport (right beside downtown) for years. That 34 mile drive would sometimes take 40 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. Driving downtown from my home at peak traffic would typically take 75-90 minutes. Parking downtown is at least $30/day. And public transportation is generally slower than driving. Glad I work closer to home now.

Property taxes are high, costs for services (landscaping, home repairs and improvements, etc.) are high. Taxes are not as high as our reputation indicates. Schools are excellent, as are town services in a lot of towns. And Boston is truly one of the world's greatest cities, for many more reasons than I could list here.

And it's beautiful here. I took a walk this morning along the Cape Cod Canal, and it's a perfect day here. Here's a photo I took the other day of the bridge to the beach (3 miles long) in my town.

Longest and oldest wooden bridge in the country. I mention these things because, if you're willing to accept the downsides of living here (mostly congestion and cost), it's got lots of benefits.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm from the local chamber of commerce. New Englanders are usually not so effusive about their place. We like to complain. But it is a great part of the country.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been to all those places, some many times. Alexandria Bay and Derby Line Vermont sound appealing to me, but winters in both places are pretty harsh.

Since I've spent most of my life in the Boston area, and live on the South Shore, I'll comment more about this area. As I mentioned, I've traveled a great deal (enough to be Platinum for life on American Airlines), but greater Boston is where I choose to live. By and large I like the weather, although sometimes the gray in November and March can be wearing, and the humidity in July can be hard to take, but as folks say, no weather condition here lasts long.

Traffic is horrific. It isn't right now, but I don't think this is permanent. Real estate costs are among the highest in the nation, although they're more manageable if you get outside the Route 495 beltway. But don't trap yourself into a long commute. I worked downtown and traveled to the airport (right beside downtown) for years. That 34 mile drive would sometimes take 40 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. Driving downtown from my home at peak traffic would typically take 75-90 minutes. Parking downtown is at least $30/day. And public transportation is generally slower than driving. Glad I work closer to home now.

Property taxes are high, costs for services (landscaping, home repairs and improvements, etc.) are high. Taxes are not as high as our reputation indicates. Schools are excellent, as are town services in a lot of towns. And Boston is truly one of the world's greatest cities, for many more reasons than I could list here.

And it's beautiful here. I took a walk this morning along the Cape Cod Canal, and it's a perfect day here. Here's a photo I took the other day of the bridge to the beach (3 miles long) in my town.

Longest and oldest wooden bridge in the country. I mention these things because, if you're willing to accept the downsides of living here (mostly congestion and cost), it's got lots of benefits.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm from the local chamber of commerce. New Englanders are usually not so effusive about their place. We like to complain. But it is a great part of the country.
Thanks! Yes, in a few years when I hit GS12, boston would be affordable. Unfortunately, not currently.

Alex bay is where we're leaning. I dont mind cold and snowy winters. I actually miss them - as they seemed much more prevalent in SEPA 25-30 years ago.

Derby line looks great. Just a bit too remote and difficult for her to find work as she has a degree in hospitality management. The fact that hill farmstead is 40 mins from derby...yum!

NOLA, while it would be fun, I'm not sure I can afford the size yard I need with 400# of dogs...lol. also the commute from such a property isnt something I want.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I haven't spent time in that part of NY, but i've driven over the Thousand Islands Bridge a bunch of times, usually late in a summer evening. The view is breathtaking. I feel upstate NY is one of the most under appreciated parts of the US.

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks gents. Ended up selecting Alexandria Bay.