Are Diesel cleaner than Gas cars?

diesel55

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
To add to wxman's super analysis, gasoline emissions get worse over time compared to diesel emissions. This factor pushes gasoline CO much higher than diesel over time.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'd like to see gasoline and diesel emissions compared on an equal basis, e.g. by looking at the total emissions from crude to road. We should have the technology to do this now.

I'll bet diesel comes out a winner because I'll bet it still takes a whole lot less processing than does gasoline.

Might be different for USA vs. Europe. Probably depends on ratio between diesel and gasoline that has to be processed.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
My neighbor, who drives a Prius asked me how I felt driving our Golf TDI because it pollutes so much. She said I would be better off driving my Touareg because it uses gasoline.

If she only knew that it has a V8 FSI under the hood that only has to meet emissions standards of a light duty truck ��

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd like to know how you feel about having such an ignorant (and vocal) neighbor. ;)

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I'm used to her being outspoken but until now, I didn't know how ignorant she really is :)

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I wonder what the total 'emissions' footprint is of diesel vs gasoline, when you start from the point of pulling a barrel of oil out of the ground, going through the refining process of creating a gallon of diesel vs gasoline, and adding the comparison of diesel mileage in similar cars - let's say between a Passat TSI and a Passat TDI. Maybe it was already done, but I'd be curious to see the whole picture.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
I wonder what the total 'emissions' footprint is of diesel vs gasoline, when you start from the point of pulling a barrel of oil out of the ground, going through the refining process of creating a gallon of diesel vs gasoline, and adding the comparison of diesel mileage in similar cars - let's say between a Passat TSI and a Passat TDI. Maybe it was already done, but I'd be curious to see the whole picture.
Based on the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2015) for "upstream" emissions (well-to-pump - WTP) and the vehicle emissions (PTW) of the Passat TDI based on the ICCT/WVU study, here is a comparison of the Passat TDI vs. the Passat 1.8T (using certified emissions of the PZEV version)...

Based strictly on the certified emissions...

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Based strcitly on EPA emission factors (well-to-pump and pump-to-wheels), here is a comparison of generic gasoline vs. diesel WTW emissions...

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I've seen the charts comparing certified emissions, but I was curious to see the total emissions created from pumping a barrel of oil out of the ground, the refining process to diesel and gas, and the number of barrels per year consumed, sort of like a 'cradle to grave' comparo for a barrel of oil between a TDI and non-TDI.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The yellow portion of those bars in the graphics includes emissions generated from the drilling of the well, well infrastructure, processing the fuel, and distributing the fuel.

If you want to compare by gallon or barrel, multiply the diesel WTP emissions by 1.2 (WTP emissions assume the diesel is 20% more efficient per unit of energy than the gasoline vehicle; the WTP emissions are a function of fuel consumption).

Edit: If you are really interested, the GREET model is available at https://greet.es.anl.gov/ . It can be downloaded to your PC (Excel based). Requires registration, but it's free.

Last edited:

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
According to GREET1_2015, here are the well-to-pump emissions in grams per million BTU of fuel available at the fuel pumps (including drilling the well, well infrastructure, and pipeline construction)...

Emission................................Gasoline (E10)...........................Diesel (ULSD)

GHG........................................19,751.....................................18,125
VOC........................................31.567......................................9.615
CO..........................................30.197......................................24.416
NOx.........................................44.983.....................................35.327
PM10........................................ 4.334.......................................2.985
SOx.........................................42.522......................................27.646

B25guy

TDI
'10 JSW 3-pedal. '07 Dodge Cummins, '04 Caterpillar 420D IT, 43' Blue Bird Wanderlodge DP
Is "diesel" becoming a bad word?

This may not be the correct forum but reading a press release from Airbus today (they bought Eurocopter) regarding flight testing "...high-compression engine...piston engine uses widely-available kerosene fuel." The rest of the article goes on to describe 50% lower fuel consumption,double the range as well as an advanced "self-ignition" engine.

Is it me or did this press release go out of its way to not say Turbo Diesel or TDI???

www.rotor.org/rotornews/nov15/airbuspiston.pdf

or this one

http://www.rotor.org/Publications/R...ests-with-High-Compression-Piston-Engine.aspx

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I'm not sure if you think it did, but TDI doesn't stand for "Turbo Diesel"

and those engines are running on kerosene, not diesel.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
My neighbor, who drives a Prius asked me how I felt driving our Golf TDI because it pollutes so much. She said I would be better off driving my Touareg because it uses gasoline.

If she only knew that it has a V8 FSI under the hood that only has to meet emissions standards of a light duty truck ��
Right, this is the thing that makes me the most upset about this whole thing: the regulations are meaningless.

If cars can only pollute X but trucks can pollute XXX and there is no restriction on trucks sold vs. cars then this isn't a system that encourages emissions reductions.

Being at TDIParts/IDParts now for almost a decade, I cannot count how many long time customers are workmen and use their Sportwagens as "trucks" instead of an F150 etc.

So, in this system, those who choose to get the Sportwagen to save $$ on fuel are punished versus those who choose to buy the truck. Its actually WORSE - due to CAFE standards they need to sell the fuel-efficient cars, and those who purchase the fuel efficient cars are in a sense subsidizing the sales of pickup trucks. The Sportwagens have been labeled as "polluters" and are required to have complicated and expensive emission systems to meet some arbitrary NOx numbers. Gasoline powered trucks, nope.

What kind of system is this? This isn't a democrat vs. republican thing - if the administration is serious about pollution, be serious about it, don't set up a paper swiss cheese system. Otherwise, just get out of the way and stop punishing the wrong people.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Right, this is the thing that makes me the most upset about this whole thing: the regulations are meaningless.

If cars can only pollute X but trucks can pollute XXX and there is no restriction on trucks sold vs. cars then this isn't a system that encourages emissions reductions.

Being at TDIParts/IDParts now for almost a decade, I cannot count how many long time customers are workmen and use their Sportwagens as "trucks" instead of an F150 etc.

So, in this system, those who choose to get the Sportwagen to save $$ on fuel are punished versus those who choose to buy the truck. Its actually WORSE - due to CAFE standards they need to sell the fuel-efficient cars, and those who purchase the fuel efficient cars are in a sense subsidizing the sales of pickup trucks. The Sportwagens have been labeled as "polluters" and are required to have complicated and expensive emission systems to meet some arbitrary NOx numbers. Gasoline powered trucks, nope.

What kind of system is this? This isn't a democrat vs. republican thing - if the administration is serious about pollution, be serious about it, don't set up a paper swiss cheese system. Otherwise, just get out of the way and stop punishing the wrong people.

The laws are written by congress.

the president then signs and then applies the laws.

(so put the blame where it belongs)

roflwaffle

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe a TDI in the future. For now... D - 82 Rabbit, 63 190d; H - 00 Insight, 05 Prius ; G - 82 RN30

LDT4 emissions are ~4x LDV/LDT1 emissions, which is bad, but they aren't VW with emissions cheat enabled bad (~5x-35x).

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Passenger car and light duty truck emissions standards have been aligned for several years, with the exception being CO2 since that is tied directly to fuel consumption. A carbon tax would level the playing field for CO2, although at the expense of great squawking by pickup truck and SUV commuters. ;)

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The wankel was not a bad concept, they just had fits getting sliding seals in the thing that would hold up. Perhaps the advances in material technologies will help that now . . . Otherwise, a lot of power is a small package, since 3 combustion pulses per rotor per rotation, as opposed to 1/2 per cylinder with pistons, and zero reciprocating mass . . .

- Tim