trailer wiring

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
just did some wiring for my trailer, used the previous wires same area for connectors, just repainted the trailer, not i hook up the trailer to car and it keeps blowing my 5 amp fuse for parking lights, everything else works wiring is all taped and turn and brake signals work any idea's on what's going on?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
fuse issue....

So the wiring works without the trailer plugged in, but blows the fuses when the trailer is plugged in. Is this correct?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Re: fuse issue....

yes, that is correct, I unplugged it and checked with just a 12 v to see if all the lights worked seperate and they all do marker, right, left. Is the 5 amp fuse to little now with the extra lights?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

well tried it again today with a new fuse and some dielectric grese and works like a charm not sure what's happening but they all work now

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Do you have good fire insurance on your car and trailer?

It would be a good idea to carry a few extra fuses with you since this may pop up at an inconvient time. If you suddenly find that your ten amps start blowing it's time to look for the short.

Where did you get the trailer?

Also, how many lights on each side does this trailer have?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

it's a 5 amp fuse, also the stop turn on the back/marker, plus a red and amber marker on each side of the trailer, I made the trailer myself.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

ah what a pain i took my trailer along tonight when I went for a drive and it did the same thing looks like I will just re due the trailer wiring or would a 10 amp fuse be a good idea? instead of a 5 amp

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI

You will likely have to go to a bigger fuse. A standard rear tail lamp draws 1 amp. A brake filament will draw at least 2 amps each. This is likely the same filament used for the turn signal. A 10 amp fuse will likely solve your problem.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

ah cool I will try that just didn;t wanna double the amps and not have someone else have done it with no problems

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Dick appears to be very good with electrics.

I'll try to keep that in mind.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

ah 10 amp didn;t do it must be something messed up with the wiring, will have to we due it, it's wierd cause this set up worked before, must be a short somewhere.

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI

Just out of curiosity, what is the fuse # (or fuse position) for the 5 amp fuse that keeps blowing (and then replaced with a 10 amp). I can't seem to find a 5 amp fuse listed for lamp circuits in the Jetta.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

yup that's the one.

I am looking into installing that circut protectors on my car, not cheap about 60 cdn

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI

Let's see if I understand how you have wired this trailer. I assume that the stop lamps for the trailer are powered by the same fuse that powers your car brake lamps which is a 15 amp fuse 13. Fuse 2 powers all the turn signal bulbs in the car which is a 10 amp fuse. Then you power the left and right rear lamps and 4 side marker lamps with the single fuse #22 which is 5 amps?

The reason that I am asking is that your Jetta has individual bulb filaments for brake, turn signal, and the tail lamp. Do your trailer lamps have a separate bulb filament for each of these functions just like the Jetta? If you don't have separate filaments to match the Jetta bulbs (for example just one double filament bulb on each side), how did you wire it up? If the trailer does have matching filaments, can you pull fuse 22 and plug in the trailer connector to your Jetta and confirm that the brake and turn signal bulbs light correctly?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

all the wiring does and has worked for two year, so I'm thinking the converter has a short so I am going back and getting a new one, as I just replaced it, all worked well before so I will see what happens, but what I have is brake/signal and marker for left and right, plus a marker for each end of the trailer one in front and one rear. And the brake and turn signal work regardless just the markers that blow the fuse

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

well interesting thing today I removed two marker light as I figured the rear ones were not needed since I changed the positioning of my rear stop/turn tail lights, and well seems to have corrected the problem, will leave it this was and see how long this lasts

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

well had the same problem so out the marker lights back on and replaced all the trailer wiring and all works well so far with the 5 amp fuse
Must have been the old wiring messed up some where