Motive brake fluid change (caution 3MB of pics)

Lightman

Veteran Member
Ok two basic quesions. What size ID hose are you guys using for the bleeder screws? Where can ATE brake fluid be found, and I'm assuming it's fine for our tdi's?

Also whats with the clutch bleeder, does that flush out the clutch's fluid as well?

Lightman

Veteran Member
Ok well I figured out where to get ATE blue, however, still wondering the hose size. Do you guys think the cap for the motive bleeder will fit MB's as well?

Lightman

Veteran Member
well what the heck. I got caught up in the moment of this thread, and just ordered a motive and ate blue. My MB needs it and the dealer charges $100 for a brake fluid change. I guess my cost will come out around half so it will save money anyway.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Lightman said:
Do you guys think the cap for the motive bleeder will fit MB's as well?
Lightman, many Euro cars require the 45mm cap which is standard fitment to the MOTIVE. You shall have no concerns.

Lightman

Veteran Member
Does the motive bleeder accept different size caps or do they sell different sizes? I'd love to use it to bleed the brakes on my ATV as well.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lightman said:
Does the motive bleeder accept different size caps or do they sell different sizes? I'd love to use it to bleed the brakes on my ATV as well.

If you check the MOTIVE site, you will find many additional additional caps/adapters but you'll have to measure the ATV's corresponding size. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Neil Womack

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2003 Jetta 2009
Can a really cheap person, like myself. Just use the old method of bleeding brakes.

You know the one where a helper, who can follow instructions, sits in the drivers seat presses and holds the brake peddle till told to let it up. Then repeat till done.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
dieseldorf said:
Lightman said:
Do you guys think the cap for the motive bleeder will fit MB's as well?
Lightman, many Euro cars require the 45mm cap which is standard fitment to the MOTIVE. You shall have no concerns.
I HAVE used the motive bleeder on my MB. It works just fine.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

DallasTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta then 2011 A3 & 2013 Beetle
Is it me - or does the PDF in the fifth post not work?

I REALLY want to save and print the PDF for future use, but it's blank. Any ideas?

AWESOME write-up BTW Cosmic. Muchos Grassy Ass

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver Arrow
[ QUOTE ]
DallasTDi said:
Is it me - or does the PDF in the fifth post not work?

I REALLY want to save and print the PDF for future use, but it's blank. Any ideas?

AWESOME write-up BTW Cosmic. Muchos Grassy Ass

[/ QUOTE ]

Gewilli has the PDF available at his TDI website. Check it, its a great resource. Thanks Geoff. Here is a link to the pdf.
http://www.cst.cmich.edu/users/willi1gl/VW/PDF/BrakeFluidChange.pdf

EDIT - It does appear to be you as the pdf link in the fifth post does work for me.

Jeroen

TDI
2014 tdi sportwagen
"Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means, it absorbs water over time. Under extreme loads, steam bubbles form in the brake system, which causes the brake pedal to go to the floor when braking. The threat of brake failure is very real. Only regular replacement with, say, Original ATE brake fluid will ensure that the brake system is fully functional in all driving situations."

Dieseldorf, does this hygroscopic property also over time threaten clutch performance? I am at 72K on my 2000 Golf and suffer intermittent clutch slipping which appears not be temperature dependent. I have never changed the brake fluid, but I have added to it. If one reservoir pressurizes/supplies both perhaps I need to switch this fluid?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no, bad brake/clutch fluid is not going to be responsible for a slipping clutch.

When you perform your Springtime brake fluid flush, there is a separate bleeder nipple for the clutch...it's all very simple. Don't overlook it.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
[ QUOTE ]
...When you perform your Springtime brake fluid flush, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

hey dieseldorf, is there a specific reason why you do this in the spring, or is it just for weather-related convienience? our dubs are due in february for the biannual flush and i was wondering if i should wait a month or so. thanks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]

hey dieseldorf, is there a specific reason why you do this in the spring

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's when you are coming out of the most severe conditions (meaning humidity and temp changes) the car experiences during the year.

AVE_ENG

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic Blue
Can someone please post the hose size to use for the bleed nipples????

Throughout this whole thread, it was never answered. I'd like to start gathering the tools and materials, so this would be much appreciated.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
I have never changed the brake fluid, but I have added to it. If one reservoir pressurizes/supplies both perhaps I need to switch this fluid?
Jeroen: I have the Motive bleeder. Buy a litre of Super Blue and we can quickly swap-out your old fluid for fresh.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Ok two basic quesions. What size ID hose are you guys using for the bleeder screws? Where can ATE brake fluid be found, and I'm assuming it's fine for our tdi's?

Also whats with the clutch bleeder, does that flush out the clutch's fluid as well?
So the hose is 1/4" ID or 3/16" ID. Is the clutch screw the same as well?

I will be doing my brakes this weekend. Why do the clutch screw? I don't think it was answered and would like to know why.

Also when bleeding, some don't fill the Motive with fluid. Do you pour the new fluid in the brake fluid reservoir, between the high & low marks and pump the Motive? Then release the pressure on the bleeder, unscrew the cap on the reservoir and then add more fluid when needed, then pump the Motive again, repeating the process when needed. Am I following this correctly? It seemed to be explained well in the first post but just wanted to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks.

I hope someone will answer before Saturday

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I have done several vehicles with the motive, and it works quite well. Im not fond of the chain mechanism for vehicles other than the TDI, but hey. It got the job done.

If you go to NAPA, they have perfectly clear fluid, and it is easy to distinguish from the old stuff. No need for the blue, IMO.

When I turkey basted out my old fluid from the resevoir of the TDI, I got quite a bit of chunks of something. Odd, but the mesh seems to have done its job.

Its pretty easy to do all in all.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Did the brake bleed on my daughter's Jetta recently. The push, hold release method works just fine it just takes an extra person and takes a while.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I will be doing my brakes this weekend. Why do the clutch screw? I don't think it was answered and would like to know why.

Also when bleeding, some don't fill the Motive with fluid. Do you pour the new fluid in the brake fluid reservoir, between the high & low marks and pump the Motive? Then release the pressure on the bleeder, unscrew the cap on the reservoir and then add more fluid when needed, then pump the Motive again, repeating the process when needed. Am I following this correctly? It seemed to be explained well in the first post but just wanted to make sure I do it right the first time.
Any anwser to these? Sat. morning is coming up.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Also when bleeding, some don't fill the Motive with fluid. Do you pour the new fluid in the brake fluid reservoir, between the high & low marks and pump the Motive? Then release the pressure on the bleeder, unscrew the cap on the reservoir and then add more fluid when needed, then pump the Motive again, repeating the process when needed. Am I following this correctly? It seemed to be explained well in the first post but just wanted to make sure I do it right the first time.
Any anwser to these? Sat. morning is coming up.
You bleed the clutch because it is a hydraulic system, and shares the same reservoir as the brakes. So all the bad things that can happen to brake fluid will happen to the fluid in the clutch, too. Go ahead and bleed it. Just be aware that you have to pump the pedal while bleeding it.

As far as what method is best, it really doesn't matter. I have done it both ways. Most folks just fill the Motive because it is easier. If you use the reservoir method, be sure to keep a close eye on the level in the reservoir to prevent air from entering the system.

Also, when removing the old fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster, don't forget to remove the screen so most of the old fluid is removed.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. When pumping the clutch pedal, the fluid should change from brown to blue and then let the pedal come up and then tighten the clutch screw is way I asuume. Tomorrow is the day. It should go fine, I hope.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Cosmic,

Thanks for the write up. I followed this this weekend and all is well. Thanks to those who also answered questions. Really easy with the Motive (thanks to mycruiseagent for letting me borrow the Motive)