Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45 18

John Nash

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDi
Has anyone installed these Michelins as replacements? How do you like them so far?
I have four waiting to be installed soon. :) Gotta be better than the Bridgestones!
Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
I put a set of those on my former Camry after the OEM Bridgestones were done at 40K. They gripped well, rode comfortably, were much quieter and appear to wear very well. With 22K on them the showed little wear.
I'll put them on the Passat when it's time.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have them, coming up on 55K miles. They have been a great tire to have.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I put the stock size, 17", on my Passat after only 3k miles on the Hancraps. Car is much quieter, but not as quiet as I would like. The car handles, responds and rides SOOOOOO much better. I am running tire pressure at 40psi. I have 25K miles on the tires now and no real sign of wear except at the center as I was running them at 44 psi, which was too high.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am deciding between the Michelin MXM4 and the Continental PureContact.

I have had good luck with Michelin on other cars and they are rated well, but the Conti's are rated higher at TireRack in every category. The MXM4 is not Michelin's best tire but is all that is available in the 235/45r18 size. The Conti PureContact is NOT the same Continental tire that is OEM supplied. This is a different model that looks to be really good. I'm leaning toward the Conti...

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have had good luck with the Conti's in the past. I would have put them on this time but I couldn't find the size I needed in the style I wanted. Conti was out of them and not sure when they would have more... and the Hancraps HAD to go so I went with the MXM4's.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
I have had Michelin MXM4 on my JSW and they were noise. I trade my JSW in for new Passat with Hankook tires and I will be installing Contis PureContact in next few weeks. Looks like they have better ratings with Tire Rack

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Has anyone installed these Michelins as replacements? How do you like them so far?
I have four waiting to be installed soon. :) Gotta be better than the Bridgestones!
Thanks for the feedback.
I installed these as part of my purchase last year. I have been very happy with them. 30k miles on them so far and no issues.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
I have Michelin Defender 225-50-18 on mine with 40K the tires still look new and they ride well.
I don't drive my Passat like a sports car so I don't need high performance tires.

Just my 2 cents worth

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I have the MXM4's on my 2012 TDI SEL. I highly recommend them. I took off the Hankooks at 4000 miles and stored them in case I need tires when I sell the car. The Michelins have 16000 miles on them and don't show any wear. You love them for ride, handling, and noise reduction....

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I had a set of MXM4's and they were great tires for the first 20,000 miles. At that point the tread was too thin to pass an inspection so I swapped for a set of Conti PureContact. The PureContact have slightly better turn-in response and seem to tighten the Passat suspension.

Can't go wrong with either tire.

John Nash

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDi
Michelin

I have Michelin Defender 225-50-18 on mine with 40K the tires still look new and they ride well.
I don't drive my Passat like a sports car so I don't need high performance tires.

Just my 2 cents worth
The Defender was what I was going to go with for the mileage, 90K thats amazing warrenty.How do they feel being a little narrower and taller tire?
My X-wife had the Michelin Hydroedge which was the high mile tire before the Defender and they cracked on the sidewalls which Michelin gave her 50% off her new MXM4 replacements after 80K miles.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
Just replaced my Hankooks with Michelin Primacy. You'd never know it's the same car. Smooth and quiet.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Defender Tires

The Defender was what I was going to go with for the mileage, 90K thats amazing warrenty.How do they feel being a little narrower and taller tire?
My X-wife had the Michelin Hydroedge which was the high mile tire before the Defender and they cracked on the sidewalls which Michelin gave her 50% off her new MXM4 replacements after 80K miles.
It handles and rides well I don't like going below 50 series because of ride quality.

DerekS

TDI
Golf TDI wagon
Thanks for the feedback.
After test driving yesterday a 2014 Passat TDI Highline (SEL) with Bridgestone Turanza 400s, I now understand your comment on these tires. They are simply dreadful riding tires. My assessment is confirmed by Tirerack.com that rates them at the very bottom of the "standard all season tire" category.

VW should not install such lousy tires on a Passat. Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Conti PureContact Eco+ would surely result in a huge overall improvement in handling and ride.

Last edited: