www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 29th, 2013, 08:12   #1
Dankemp
Veteran Member

Talking Brake Upgrade <312mm , Audi A4 B5/Passat B5

Just done this with my car and there wasn't much info regarding this particular upgrade , and all options of it where expensive.

288mm to 312mm. using standard caliper.

ive used high quality parts but if you ensure you use the correct parts im sure you could do it cheaper again..

i found a golf 4 motion breaking and got carriers for 40 posted.

312mm dics 55 on ebay Mintex. these are new and come in a mintex sealed box , very very fast postage i ordered friday there where here saturday.link

Fast road pads - Green stuff link (you
can use a standard pad to save moneys)

312mm Carriers link
Installation

Tools needed are ,
17mm socket + ratchet
size 7 allen socket / bit
1/2 17mm on a breaker bar (may not be needed depends how tight the calipers are)

quite a simple job , took me about 20mins, basically all you do is remove the black caps (where the threaded holes are on the carriers) undo the allen head bolts, they do come out and could benefit from greasing, slide the caliper out toward the back of the car , remove the pads, cable tie or rest caliper on something, undo the 17mm bolts on the hub , remove carrier and disc, put on new disc put grub screw in or wheel bolt ( to stop it falling off), put new carrier on tighten down the 17mm bolts, put the new pads in, one goes into the caliper with the spring clips, and the other put on the carrier on the outside of the disc, slide the caliper on , do the allen bolts back up .

the caliper may need sliding back depending on the condition of the old brakes, to do this i suggest buying a tool to do it, but its very posible without it because they dont need turning back just need to be pushed back. (remove the cap of the brake res)

disc on , my hubs dont have a thread nor a hole for the screw

carrier on ..

Caliper back on..

behind a 19"

Dankemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 08:12   #2
Dankemp
Veteran Member

old stuff.. these discs are fairly new , and with less than 1000miles they have got burn marks on them and i think there slightly warped .
put new ebc ultimax pads on with them but obviously **** discs ! dont buy cheap discs from ebay !! unless there brand named in a sealed box

Dankemp is offline   Reply With Quote