R32 TDI conversion for sale

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
Thor, sorry to threadjack, but at least this keeps your situation out of the shadows.

Racer/Jon; yes that is my car. The builder is advertising it for sale because I need to move on with my life. It literally has less than a day of work to be done to be 100%. How long it will take to get that work done is anybody's guess.

Jon, the claim of 300/450 can be seen on the build thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=399613 I have used the terms "nudging 300/450" myself, hopefully that does not mean I'm guilty of exaggerating. The Dyno operator put it at 289/456, I think that is in the territory of "nudging 300", but calling it 260/414 uncorrected is also accurate.

Brian e. Yes, I have spent over $37K. In retrospect it is horrible. At this point I just want out. I started with a $17K, highly built HPA FT450 gasser with 52K miles three years ago. I did a bunch of work; redone sound system, front LCAs, corner balancing etc etc etc. Had about $22K in it by the time I sent it to TX The rest I have spent out there or in purchasing things overseas and domestically and shipping them to TX.

Greengeeker, I cannot adequately explain. As a Dave Ramsey fan, I am paying what he calls "stupid tax". It seemed like such a cool build when I sent it off. The car is awesome, only 54K miles and the interior is like new. The list of performance mods is amazing. The amount of regret I'm experiencing is monumental. I don't know what to say. Either someone gets a highly built car for a little more than half of what I spent on it, or I remain in purgatory waiting for the a/c to be charged and the exhaust hung for who knows how long before it is shipped back to me.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
One more point. I had nothing to do with the CL ad. Did not know it was there until a forum member sent me a link in a pm. I had asked the builder if he wanted to buy the car or try to sell it.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Either someone gets a highly built car for a little more than half of what I spent on it, or I remain in purgatory waiting for the a/c to be charged and the exhaust hung for who knows how long before it is shipped back to me.
I'm sure you've entertained the thought but could you just have them ship you the car as it sits, finish these last [easy] steps locally and then decide which direction you want to go?

I'm sorry your quest ended up in this place. I was really looking forward to seeing how your car ended up. :(

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Greengeeker, that's exactly what I intend to do unless someone snaps it up very soon.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Steve in Fort Worth, TX
TDI club trusted mechanic.
TechnicalDieselInnovations

NOT

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
Even given the situation I'm in, I cannot say that about TheTDIguy. I think he has overestimated what he can do for extraordinary conversions while providing routine service to his customer base. Even though I have yet to see it, eyewitnesses such as Marin have said my project is well done, yet incomplete. I am reserving judgement, but I am at a crossroads. It either will be completed this week, sold for a song, or returned to me incomplete. I'm out of time.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
No problem, he is working on the car. He installed the engine and is doing the wire harness now :D

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Well, I was the one that ended up buying the RTDI from rspring.

Dealing with Rick(rspring) has been phenomenal and would definitely buy anything from him again.

Picking up the car was a bit of an ordeal though...since I was unable to go get the car due to being in a wheelchair, so I had a friend fly to Dallas to pick up the RTDI.
Fran was supposed to be picked up at 9 am from the hotel...needless to say he did get picked up till 10:30 and then when he got to shop the car wasn't even there. The car was at one of the mechanics homes. Apparently the mechanic didn't even know the car was getting picked yesterday Saturday May 30th,2015. So when Fran first saw the car there were wires every where and half of the dash was apart. The glove box was out, the wires were every hanging loose, the door sills weren't on, and the Borla exhaust that was supposed to be installed wasn't.

This is after I called down this past Wednesday May 27th, 2015 to confirm that the car would be ready for the 1200 mile trip back to Wisconsin and was told it would be ready to go.

Fran called me to see if I still wanted to buy the car, because he couldn't imagine the car was going to be able to be driven back. After explaining things to me, I figured the interior could be put back in at least, so the mechanic put everything together.

Then the extra parts had to get loaded in the car before Fran could leave, so that added more time.

Here is the real kicker...is that Fran went to fill up the car and couldn't, because come to find out the original R32 filler neck was still in the car.:mad: Fran headed back to the shop and asked how they filled the car and was handed a foot long funnel to fill the tank on the car.:rolleyes:

When he had to use the funnel to fill up the car it was a huge pita and the regular gas vent was leaking fuel, when he got near to top and luckily a bystander noticed and mentioned it to Fran after nearly a gallon had leaked out. The whole car wreaked of diesel and because of this, Fran had to stop for the night, because the fumes were getting to him. If not for that he thought he could have made the trip in a day.

Luckily Fran has helped me with my car, otherwise he never would have known where to look for the hood release under the hood because there's no grill in place for the hood pull to go through.:rolleyes:

The drive back went pretty smooth, minus running out of fuel, because the fuel gauge isn't working and showed 3/4 when he ran out. Luckily a police officer stopped and stayed with him till the tow truck got there with diesel. Good thing for a lift pump.;)

Fran did say that the car ran great once up to temp and made good time by following a group of bikers at 90 mph and had to catch up once, because they got away when a few semis got in the way, so he did a quick 120 mph sprint to catch up.:D He also really likes the responsiveness of the brakes.

I'll have to go through the car over the next couple of days and see what parts are in the car...hopefully a MKIV Golf TDI filler neck.

Any idea Steve if it's in the car?

Well there's mine and Fran's experience on getting the car from Fort Worth Texas to Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin in 2 days.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If you get a chance,please post some pics;). This sounds like it will be an awesome TDI, once it gets finished:eek:......

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
What motor mounts are in yours? I have 034motorsports mounts and it is still a lot of vibes at idle...

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
If you get a chance,please post some pics;). This sounds like it will be an awesome TDI, once it gets finished:eek:......
I'll post some up in a few days.

And exactly, once I give it some tlc, it will be an amazing car, but it'll take some time. I guess I could start a "build" thread:p

I will get it delivered, lol!
I looked into that and it was $975 to get it delivered to Green Bay, WI

It was a lot cheaper to have a friend fly down stay in a hotel and pay for fuel and eveything else.;)

What motor mounts are in yours? I have 034motorsports mounts and it is still a lot of vibes at idle...
Not sure...I'll check for you in a couple of days.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Whats his #!? ?
If you're serious he maybe willing to drive your car back, since he had a fun time driving my car back. Hopefully your car will be 100% when it gets picked up.

So if pay for his flights, hotel, fuel, and a little bit for his time he might be willing to drive it to you.

PM if your serious.;)

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Dang quite the story, looks like it was about 90% there before he showed up, not a good thing to find out right before a 1200 mile trip!

Excited to see this thing. R's are sweet.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some pics of the car. I'll be making a build thread in the next few days. Just need to find the free time.:D

With our 16 year old Golden Retriever photo bombing the picture:D

I'll post more pics in the build thread.;)

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
nice!! Are the wheels all rashes up? look similar to bbs Ch

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
nice!! Are the wheels all rashes up? look similar to bbs Ch
Unfortunately they are real deal BBS CH's all curb rashed.:(
I hope you weren't that harsh on the wheels Rick and that the guy before you committed such an atrocity.;)

Anywho, on with some engine bay shots.:D

As you can tell it needs some tlc to bring it up to my stringent standards.:D