www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 9th, 2017, 03:06   #6556
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

small, fuzzy, cloggy, formerly rubber-y
sounds like you thought you had a big enough air box, you must have a restriction there, quite a restriction to suck your rubber piece in.
i wonder if you can use an air filter, seems you have so much air flow. (jk,still may be the case). run 'er open, your a race car vroom
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:23   #6557
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
small, fuzzy, cloggy, formerly rubber-y
sounds like you thought you had a big enough air box, you must have a restriction there, quite a restriction to suck your rubber piece in.
i wonder if you can use an air filter, seems you have so much air flow. (jk,still may be the case). run 'er open, your a race car vroom
It was a rubber spacer that squeezed out of place when I was installing the filter - it was probably sitting loose inside the housing for a couple of days. I feel stupid for not noticing.

It was a spacer ring like the ones in that picture...

The actual damage happened at nearly 5K RPM at 29ish PSI, that's a LOT of airflow.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old September 9th, 2017, 14:59   #6558
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

sucks in and look at the fuzz. haha. oh yea it made good work if those blades on that side. yup after a few days or more at med and higher rpms it ll just get sucked down.
ruined you nice new intercooler? did any of that stuff get inside the cylinders?
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 16:59   #6559
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

More cleaning of the rot box. The interior smelled horrible, after sitting overnight. The seats may have neen a little damp, but it was atrocious. Went through 2.5 cans of Lysol spraying down the seats and carpet.

Pulled the door panels and scrubbed them down.

Scrubbed the rear deck, dash, headliner, A, B and C pillars, using the 2 bucket method. First bucket was black, the 2nd gray. Had to be gentle with the headliner... it was starting to come down. Sprayed everything down with Lysol after drying overnight.

The car smelled normal this am, but the seats and carpet were in the garage.

Fixed some pretty nice sized holes in the floors. Took the easy way out and shaped the sheet metal, screwed it down, hammered to shape, then seam sealed. Doors have some nice cavities and the left rocker is in need of help, which it's not getting.

Tossed the seats and carpet back in and sealed the car up. If it stinks tomorrow am, I'll know the seats need further treatment.

I expected to have the clutch swapped by now and all I've done is clean...

I did get a gas cluster from the JY. Has silver faces and orange needles, which looks pretty good. I'll need to install it and see if the steppers are good.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 00:54   #6560
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
sucks in and look at the fuzz. haha. oh yea it made good work if those blades on that side. yup after a few days or more at med and higher rpms it ll just get sucked down.
ruined you nice new intercooler? did any of that stuff get inside the cylinders?
There was a decent coating of powdered rubber in the outlet pipe of the turbo. By the time it got to the IC there wasn't so much. I vacuumed out the IC as best I could, I won't really be able to clean it completely. I cleaned the pipes out well, the pre IC pipe was definitely the worst as some of the rubber had sort of melted together at the turbo end. Simple Green plus a rag on a piece of coat hanger seemed to take it out ok.

Yes, some definitely made it through the engine. Found bits in the intake. At least powdered rubber will burn and is softer than aluminum / iron.

She's running totally normally at the moment, drove around today with the new turbo. Sounds exactly the same, performing normally.

Old September 10th, 2017, 03:38   #6561
powerstrokeless
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a POWERSTROKE!!

Since my "Trusted Mech" (about 1 1/2 years ago) told me he hated all VW's in particular B4's. Last year had a condensation leak after the said mech. did a blend door repair, and he was not willing to help figure out the source. This past Spring, I decided to blow air up the condensation line and there has not been a leak since! have kept the lower coverings off to make sure.

In my Search for a Mech.--I had a several options of who to use and went with mountain-valleymotors, they performed - timing belt, installed new headlamps, inspection, and tires - all at a very reasonable cost, + they like VW's!
powerstrokeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 08:47   #6562
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeless View Post
Since my "Trusted Mech" (about 1 1/2 years ago) told me he hated all VW's in particular B4's. Last year had a condensation leak after the said mech. did a blend door repair, and he was not willing to help figure out the source. This past Spring, I decided to blow air up the condensation line and there has not been a leak since! have kept the lower coverings off to make sure.

In my Search for a Mech.--I had a several options of who to use and went with mountain-valleymotors, they performed - timing belt, installed new headlamps, inspection, and tires - all at a very reasonable cost, + they like VW's!
Nothing worse than having a mechanic / shop that you thought you could trust finally up and tell you that they hate the car you own and hate working on it. Unfortunate really, the newer cars are far more complicated than what you brought it to terrorize him with.

I wouldn't want to be around a new Sonata or Optima when they get to be as old as our Mk3 / B4 cars...oh wait, they'll never make it that far so never mind.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 19:19   #6563
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I don't get that attitude.

A car is a car - sure German cars can be annoying and over-engineered, but I would work on anything back in the day. I'll just quote you an appropriate amount of time and dive in.

Snowflake mechanics these days...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 18:37   #6564
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Today was "what happened to my instrument cluster lights" day! On my last road trip I blew fuse #3 which does the license plate lights plus all the dash lighting.

After much deducing and pulling things apart I isolated the short to the supply for the central console lighting (the cigarette lighter "ring", the heat controls, the ashtray light and the radio light). Cut the factory splice apart and it turned out to be the radio line! I have an aftermarket radio but it is installed with a conversion harness and has been there for about 3 years, no reason for it to be acting up now. Since I don't actually do anything with the illumination line to the radio I redid the splice without it.

Also have had some burning oil smell since I swapped my turbo - was pretty sure it was from the copious amount of PB Blaster I sprayed on everything to loosen up the bolts. Doused the back of the engine with degreaser this morning and washed it down - no more burning oil smell.

Going to take the car in for rear wheel bearings and brakes on Thursday - I've had enough wrenching for this week.

Old September 15th, 2017, 08:13   #6565
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

Over the last week:

Had my starter rebuilt by a local shop for $170 out the door. Works great now! Had to replace basically everything replaceable.

During that job the wires on the reverse light plug broke off, so I soldered some new wires on the stub and wrapped it in lots of heat-shrink to keep them steady.

And changed the $24 Napa brake pads I'd had on the front since I bought the car 2 years and 70k miles ago. I heard it start to make a scaping noise and I changed them the next day.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust CCV/EGR Deleted Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ Autometer Gauges Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 13:38   #6566
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Reinstalled the interior in the rotbox. I can't tell if it's still got a musty/moldy smell or if the 3 cans of Lysol I sprayed needs more time to dissipate. It's a lot better, at least. I may try some Zep odor eliminator.

Installed the JY cluster and it's also bad, but only the tach needle is shuddering.

Drove it around the block twice. First time I've driven it, since buying it. Still need to drop the tranny and see what's happening inside.

The rockers are in pretty sad shape, so I'm unsure if I'll be able to lift it with the QuickJack.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 20:05   #6567
Mrg-images

Question Seats

Installed leather seats!

Have cloth for sale. Good condition. blue in color. Anyone in florida need b4 seats?