www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old August 8th, 2017, 13:17   #151
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
I agree the 1.8 is impressive. My wife just got her new '17 GSW two days ago, 5-mt. Base Trendline with connectivity+ package. I couldn't ask for more car! I have yet to drive it but my wife says in back and forth commuting to work Tuesday and yesterday, she's seeing 6.0 L/100 km on the MFD which is probably 6.4 true. It's only a 12 km drive, on 16" tires and the car isn't anywhere near broken in.

My own Golf 1.8 TSI has been averaging 5.5 indicated, about 5.9 true, since I took off the snow tires. Mine is also manual. I drove my sister-in-law's '15 Golf TSI automatic quite extensively when we visited her out west a while back, and the non-DSG automatic didn't do as well as my TSI, maybe as much as 1 L/100 km more.
Interestingly, the MFD on my wife's wagon seems to be very accurate. I compared MFD to hand-calculated and they came within 0.1 L/100 km of each other. But that's only one tank, I shall need an average to be sure. On my hatch, MFD is consistently optimistic by 0.4 L/100 km on an average of around 6. So I dusted off the old VCDS and adjusted the scaling factor on my Golf. I set it to 107% and it is now much closer to reality, and matches my wife's fuel consumption exactly. My wife is away and I did a few drives on the same circuit to compare the cars.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 20:55   #152
SkiWell

Thanks KJ! I just looked the allow 18' cost a lot! so I probably drive it for a while, and see how it will perform on the snow...
SkiWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 04:39   #153
boomer1

Fuel Economy: Average 47.5 mpg in first 1300 miles

This may, if there are different transmission ratios, change the revolutions per mile to a lower number when you put on the larger tires. Does anyone know if the gear ratios are the same or different for the models with different tire sizes as supplied by the factory??
boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 06:49   #154
3fordasho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWell View Post
The S is only coming with 17" tires- do any of you know if it is safe to replace them with 18"? the alltrack is sitting 1" higher than Sportwagen, but it would be nice to lift in up one more inch. i ppreciate any of the advises!
I doubt very much that the factory 18" wheel set up is going to give you 1" lift. That would be a 2" increase in rolling diameter which is huge. Typically factory wheel set ups be it 17 or 18" have about the same rolling diameter. The 18" wheel itself if 1" larger but the tire is usually a lower profile resulting in about the same rolling diameter.

You could select a non-factory wheel and tire size that could give you some amount of lift, but now you need to change other things to get your speedometer/odometer to read correctly, not to mention how it might affect shift points (DSG equipped)
3fordasho is online now   Reply With Quote