Why GM is betting on the Diesel

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There aren't a lot of body-on-frame SUVs left. GM and Ford pickup based ones, Toyota pickup based ones...I think that's about it. Used to be an SUV with unibody construction was called a crossover, but that name has faded as almost all SUVs are unibody. So the SUV/CUV distinction has emerged.
I thought the "crossover" was a fairly new designation to move the soccormoms from the SUV/CUV into something that is marginally easier to drive and costs more. Much as the SUV/CUV offerings did for the minivans.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Body on frame passenger cars are antiquated at best. Unibody construction has been around since the 30s and is stronger, lighter, and offers better space utilization. When people buy a body-on-frame passenger vehicle they're taking a huge step backwards.

Crossovers were introduced primarily because of the efficiencies offered by unibody construction of SUV-type vehicles, the ability to build additional models from a single platform (for example, the Honda Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline are on the same platform), and because they offer better safety, space utilization, and driving dynamics. People in the industry felt a need to differentiate these models, so they named them crossovers. All "cute utes" or CUVs are crossovers, or unibody. Many larger SUVs are, too, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, All Mercedes and BMWs, and the Nissan Pathfinder (which is on a front drive Quest platform).

Sport utility vehicles are all about a higher driving position, perceived safety, and market acceptance compared to mini-vans. And about profit for automakers. They're good at generating that, too.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Really?

Chevy/GM/Most American cars quality is awful. Adding a diesel engine isn't going to make it any better. You guys be the guinea pigs.
I see you also have a 2006 TDI. I am no fan of VW since my 2006 Jetta is my 4th and last VW I will ever buy. Manufacturing Quality? The finish started flaking off of my power window switches in the first year, in the second year my blend air door motor failed in the AC unit. In the last year of my warranty my camshaft started failing since I did used oil analysis I caught it early on but VW wouldn't fix it since I had "no symptoms" so I ended up fixing it on my own dime after the warranty expired.

My used oil analysis report advised me that my extremely high Iron indicated that I had a serious failure in progress and advised me to not drive the car until it is repaired. I was informed that used oil analysis means nothing to them and insisted that I had no symptoms. After my car was out of warranty large chunks of paint started flaking off of my door pillars exposing bare aluminum and the final screw up is my headliner delaminating and falling down.

My wife has a Chevy Cruze and apart from the fact that I don't find the seats very comfortable it has been an extremely reliable car for the past 8 years that has never been a problem. My most recent acquisition has been another Chevy. This time a Corvette since my mid life crisis set in later than usual lol. As far as fit, finish and just plain driving pleasure it is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned with the exception of a Boss 428 Cougar that I owned during the muscle car era.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Now that VW/Audi are quitting the diesel market for the US, you can expect the other makers to follow suit. The only reason GM tried diesel was because of the high mpg and popularity of the TDIs. Now that no one is driving that, it's done.

Sad really. I love mine. But that's pretty much it for diesel in passenger cars in the US. 4-5 years maybe of GM and MB selling them.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...porty+Cars, Station+Wagons&srchtyp=newDslCars
Not going to happen, VW made a huge mistake pulling out of diesels. Chrysler sells everyone of their 1500 diesel Rams and people are on a waiting list. Diesel is here to stay. :D

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not that one. That's the previous generation. New platform and drivetrain in 2017.