Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
guys thank you very much i took the TCM out of the jetta and started the car 2 seconds later ENGINE LIGHT TURN OF.
Tomorrow after work im taking it to get it inspected hopefully light dont comeback cause i have a broken exaust , im really happy with my jetta .
again thank you for your help ill post back INSPECTION results.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Let me know if you can pass inspection with a check engine light on a diesel... as far as I can tell you will pass with a check engine light on a diesel, just like here in TX

Shawtm12

TDI
Golf '03 01M 200,000km/March 2014
Funniest part about this thread. Buddy like 5 years ago complaining about 18 pages...... Now it's at 149 haha. Can't wait to start the swap! This thread is amazing glad to see people are still actively posting (albeit, same questions over and over)

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
I went in for an inspection and FAIL, my car wasnt ready for reading i did some more driving the engine light came on with the CAT code.
I cleared the code one more time and drove for 50 miles and no code went back for inspection but still not ready for reading and 10 more miles after the LIGHT came on again.
At this point im trying to do the emission cycle so the ecu will be ready for inspection.
Any ideas on how to get emission cycle faster ?
i tried driving at 65 mph for 7 mins then complete stop, then 35 mph and completely stop and still not ready.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Is car gonna pass if you have a cat code? If you have a cat code its not gonna pass readiness.

There is a procedure you can do with vagcom that sets readiness quicker. I've been able to use it on some cars but not others. For instance last week I was set readiness for evap on a 2000 Eurovan but not a 1998 Eurovan.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I know it's been covered in this thread, (I've been reading it for years), but I am stumped.
Project car is an 02 beetle. Instructions followed to the best of my abilities.
Everything mechanical is back together and the wiring is complete. I have set the ecu to manual trans, but I can't seem to get the can gateway to change or save changes. It's set at 6, (with 0's). Subtracting 1 gives me 5. I enter 5 (with the 0's). I hit "do it", cycle the key, exit, etc. However, it doesn't matter what I do, I can't get it to save. When I come back to it, it's always 6 again. I am using a licensed version of Ross-tech vcds. Can anyone provide a better procedure, or insight as to what I may be doing wrong? Also, would this result in a no crank condition? I wanted to eliminate this as a problem before I start pulling switches for testing. Thanks in advance.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Hey DCELL,

6 is correct.

The no crank is going to be your wiring is incorrect

It goes from ground (brown wire) to the switch on the top of the pedal assembly, to the black with blue tracer (on the socket side). You also need to replace the 175 relay with a 53 relay

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Aha! I finally got fire! I double checked the things alpha mentioned, then removed my clutch switches and tested them on the bench. Both were in working condition. I did however find 2 things: battery was low from sitting, (as this project has drug on for a few weeks), and a loose connection at the starter. Charged the battery, snapped the connector on tight, crossed my fingers, and crank!
I guess it just goes to show that double and triple checking just isn't enough sometimes!

alphaseinor

TDI
I've had one where the nut from the ground to the transmission was not installed... that also did it.

Congrats on the swap!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I may have popped the little connector off when I was fitting the battery tray. But of course that probably means I didn't have it fully secured in the first place!

sasquatch7763

TDI
Mk3
Damn 5 speed swap!!!

This post is huge! Ok so I have a 98 glx JETTA VR6 5 speed. Blew the motor. Cracked the block. So I got a 96 GLX vr6 auto. I decided to swap my. 5 speed in. Was pretty easy for the most part. But now with everything where it should be. (So I think) it will not even try to crank over. New battery and starter. Light and all work fine. Unplugged TCM, 5 speed ECU plugged in. Clutch position pedal wired in but nothing!!! I NEED HELP!!!!!!! I'm in Washington.

alphaseinor

TDI
Yeah, MK3's are completely different to MK4 wiring, so... you may be on your own there... I have a 2000 Cabrio I dropped a 96 GLX VR6 into, was a wiring nightmare in comparison to MK4 swaps I've done. and that was just a 2.0 gas to a 2.8 gas swap, both were manuals.

Look for a swap thread by Cyclopath... I can't seem to find it on the Vortex for some reason...

Here's one with a photo or two... no description of wiring.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5997548-MK3-auto-to-manual-swap

for5severins

TDI
2001 jetta,2003 jetta,99.5 golf
Just finished my 2003 5 speed swap. Installed all shifter parts from an 04 Jetta. DQY from a 99 Beetle TDI. All wiring went good. It was a little confusing but I muddled through 149 pages here and about 5 other places made the wiring doable. Finished with Hammer mod! Thanks to all for the great info!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Too bad you didn't find my short how to in my sig and in the TDI 101 sticky "how to" section on the subject that condenses this 149 pages into a step by step process. Glad you are good to go.

JJJTDI

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thx for the reply.I wouldn't be able to swap trans myself.My mech wants 3200. bucks for the job.Would like to know if in Louisville Ky,someone else could do the job? Thx for help. JJ

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I'm shocked at US labour costs, we charge £200 for a clutch/FW swap on a 6 speed, thats like $320. Obviously a conversion would be a little extra but my god!!

alphaseinor

TDI
Yes, US labor costs are about $80-160 per hour, depending on where you live, the swap technically takes two-three days because the junkyards (breakers) can't remove the parts without destroying them. pedals typically have plastic bits removed, broken, brackets missing, shifter boxes with the two rear tabs broken, transmissions with the console between the mount and the transmission missing, etc... Then you get to buy the parts new you just bought to fix the stuff they broke...

$3200 is still cheaper than what I charge for a 5 speed swap

Have you checked the trusted mechanics list?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I'm shocked at US labour costs, we charge £200 for a clutch/FW swap on a 6 speed, thats like $320. Obviously a conversion would be a little extra but my god!!

I charge labor $350 for a clutch change (mk4 jetta tdi) but conversion is $900 + parts of course. Shifter, brake pedal, clutch pedal install and wiring is the difference.

Different areas of USA have different costs. Cost of living in Los Angeles or New England or other areas is higher than here in Missouri.

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Thx for the reply.I wouldn't be able to swap trans myself.My mech wants 3200. bucks for the job.Would like to know if in Louisville Ky,someone else could do the job? Thx for help. JJ
I can help you if you are still looking. Click on my logo in my sig for contact info.

check with Skunkwerx Performance Automotive, LLC in Louisville.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Mechanically, yes it will bolt in. The gearing for 1-5 and final will be wrong for a tdi.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Isn't the R&P gearing different also?

I know the 5 speeds are getting a lot harder to find but you are looking at changing a lot of hardware to make it work properly

volkspro

TDI
jetta 2001
i can buy automatic trany from 2003 Jetta 2.0 gaz engine, can i put this on my 2003 Jetta TDI ?

tk,s.