Mk2 Tdi swap

das_neue_tdi

I know this has probably been discussed many times over, but i've got a 98 Jetta TDi (MK3) and a 91 Jetta 1.6 NA Diesel (MK2). Both are CE2 from what I can tell. Should this not be a pretty straightforward swap? Any info would be most appreciated as I begin to compile the punch-list!
-MJ

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
As far as electricals are concerned, it's as straight-forward as it gets. You may need to make a bracket for the throttle position sensor to mount to (unless you can make a B4 Passat's pedal set fit).

A '91 Jetta is CE2, yes.

I would recommend using the TDI's transmission as well. This will require you to fit the hydraulic clutch setup and the cable-shift box, though. 020s tend to have very short gear ratios that aren't well-suited to TDIs for efficiency reasons. Imagine your TDI spinning the same RPMs your 1.6 IDI does on the highway (if it actually had a tach, that is. They'll spin near 4000 RPM at 80 MPH!).

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your swap is nearly identical to mine. I have an 86 Golf and I have to convert to CE-2. But the thread become quite informative, very quickly. If you take a look:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246154

The short list for you is:
MKIII Cable shift
B4 passat pedal cluster
MKIII cross member for the better mounts
A3 Jetta TDI Cluster

There is much more, but to start those are the big players. You will want the MKIII crossmember because I am told from an experienced source, that the MKIII motor mounts are much better. Looking at their setup, I am inclined to agree.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
the passat B4 crossmember fits directly with the Mk3/A3 stlye mount, A3 crossmembers dont fit.
The A3 subframe is much better though! I made custom mounts for mine using hockey puck, it cost me $20 all together! lol

Passat B4 pedals fit with one small mod to the top bracket (30mm to one side) this will give you hydro clutch and FBW

The A3 clusters ar not a perfect fit but they are OK, ive got a GTD A2 tach cluster and will use the correct cable which fits inside the speed sensor housing

Cable shift requires slight bodgery unless you are good at fabbing, lol the A4 shifter setup is nicer and no harder to fit (other than the cable ends!!)

Last edited:

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Yup, you want the B4 crossmember (houses front engine mount) and a MK3 subframe aka, K-frame.

B4 Pedals, here in the US with left hand drive, fit with no modification in a MK2. Mine did anyways.

das_neue_tdi

Thanks for the info guys! I have the complete '98 car, so using the subframe for the rear mounts and all of the cable shift parts will be no problem. I was planning to use a corrado g60 pedal cluster though, will that not work? I would like to use a passat front crossmember if i can get one, but my have to upgrade it later as the part becomes available to me. What is the main reason to use the MK3 instrument cluster? I was going to use a vdo tach in my gauge panel, and i'm already diesel, so i have glow plug light etc.
-mj

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
das_neue_tdi said:
Thanks for the info guys! I have the complete '98 car, so using the subframe for the rear mounts and all of the cable shift parts will be no problem. I was planning to use a corrado g60 pedal cluster though, will that not work? I would like to use a passat front crossmember if i can get one, but my have to upgrade it later as the part becomes available to me. What is the main reason to use the MK3 instrument cluster? I was going to use a vdo tach in my gauge panel, and i'm already diesel, so i have glow plug light etc.
-mj
The Corrado pedal cluster should fit, but it won't have the provisions for the TPS. that's why everyone is after the Passat cluster. If you choose to keep the stock MK2 instrument cluster then you're probably going to end up with either a speedometer or cruise control, but not both. There will also be no provisions for a tachometer with the MK2 cluster unless you wanted to rig something up.

das_neue_tdi

I didn't realize i need the TPS on the pedal :( Is it from the B4 or B5 passat i would need? Also, i don't have cruise, and I was planning to use a seperate tach. I can use the mk3 cluster if i have to, i just like the look of the mk2 cluster better :) Does the Mk3 cluster fit in the mk2 dash?
-mj