Found my Unicorn

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Is this skid plate really the only option for B4's??
https://www.evolutionimport.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A3004a&CartID=1

I wish shipping was less. My car is missing the belly pan and i'm sure the aerodynamics are worth spending $$ on a new one.
Sadly, untrue about the aerodynamics. Didn't gain one bit of vroom vroom mpg from it.

I do prefer having it though for the protection of my engine. But for most stock engines, that steel oil pan should suffice.

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
Cut and capped fuel line to 5th injector today. Brass and fuel rated thread tape.

Next up: replacing the ecu hose. CEL is on and shop I got it from says code is: 65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
Did some EGR work today and fixed my leaky ECU hose.

My heart stopped for a few minutes when it wouldn't start back up. Crancked for a minute or two and she fired up rough. I think some carbon found it's way into the valves. Running fine now and no CEL.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A PD130 manifold from a Euro Passat will fit, you'll need a race pipe made to replace the EGR on that manifold, or modify the PD130 EGR to fit the Passat intercooler hose.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Cleaning the ports can be very labor intensive on the car. Care needs to be taken, to ensure the valve is closed and that the remnants are blown out.

You'll never get the stuff out that's at the valve pocket. To truly do it right, the head needs to come off.

I've done it both ways.

-Todd

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^Kinda disagree with this.

Firstly, never try and clear/clean the manifold on the car - too much chance that carbon will fall into the cylinder(s) and cause damage. The manifold needs to come off no matter how you try to clean things.

The intake gasket can be reused in a pinch, but should really be replaced. They're cheap - like $10 cheap. If I was stuck and had to reuse, I would coat the gasket both sides with a thin skim of silicone.

That said, cleaning the intakte ports in the head is not that hard if you take your time.

Fashion a small scraper tool from an old hacksaw blade, and you can scrape out the vast majority of carbon in the ports. Best if you have a nice bright light and a dental mirror to make sure you remove as much as possible.

You can make sure the valves are closed by blowing some air into the port with a tube (or use compressed air If you have). The port with an open valve will sound different - deeper, as the air pressure will go into the cylinder. Like the difference between blowing across a freshly opened beer bottle and one which is empty.

With the 1Z/AHU, care needs to be taken when cleaning all of the carbon out of the manifold - The solvent and fire cleaning methods can damage the diaphragm in the EGR valve.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I suppose I was a bit ambiguous with the term 'port'. I was referring to the head's ports, not the intake. I'd never consider cleaning that bolted to the car. Way easier to burn it out.

This is one of the ports of the head that I cleaned on the car.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5097925&postcount=5756

Pic of what I used.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5098463&postcount=5760

Even with impromptu tools, you'll never get the head totally clean. This is the head that I pulled, to clean.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5167401&postcount=40

I'm pretty confident that junk is still stuck in the valve pockets, on the car that had the head cleaned in position.

-Todd

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
Searching for a abs and parking brake dash light cover. It looks like a snap on button cover. I've searched local yards and eBay with no luck, seems like theee have all gone missing. Anybody have a source?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Searching for a abs and parking brake dash light cover. It looks like a snap on button cover. I've searched local yards and eBay with no luck, seems like theee have all gone missing. Anybody have a source?
It's not a cover, it's part of the light unit that fits into the dash, if you pull it out you can find the part number for that particular one. I have at least one somewhere but IDK where at the moment. I'm not sure if it's the same as yours though there were several different ones made. Seems to me the one I have might have air bag and abs lights and not parking brake, just don't know.

I will look tomorrow and see, but if someone else turns up the one you need grab it. You can also check in the FS forum to see if someone is parting a B4.

Steve

c3k

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat

The only switches I've seen have either all 3, ABS/parking brake/airbag, or just 2 parking brake/airbag.

I think the '95 VRs came with a 3 light switch with ABS/check engine/airbag but I'm not positive.

I think I have a spare switch for just the parking brake/airbag found on TDIs if you're interested.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
FYI, it's not a switch - it's just a set of warning lights, as above the 3-lamp is for ABS cars, and the 2-lamp is for cars without.

The lens is not a tight fit, and can come off easily and get lost. I shimmed mine with a little tape after it came flying off over a bump.

I would have glued it in, but the only way to replace burnt bulbs is to remove the lens.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Nice find! If you need any help with VCDS hit me up :)

PS: I still haven't installed the struts I got from you on my SDL yet...

-J

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
FYI, it's not a switch - it's just a set of warning lights, as above the 3-lamp is for ABS cars, and the 2-lamp is for cars without.

The lens is not a tight fit, and can come off easily and get lost. I shimmed mine with a little tape after it came flying off over a bump.

I would have glued it in, but the only way to replace burnt bulbs is to remove the lens.
Yep, this is the part i'm looking for. If anybody has one please PM me, happy to pay a fair price.

Thanks everyone!!

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
I think I have the light cover that you are looking for, I will check later and let you know.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
Hey there

Sorry for the delay, I know I do have one of those covers, I needed to butcher the light unit behind it to get mine to stay in the dash as the tabs had broken.

I have looked all over though and I can't put my hands on it. I will keep looking over the weekend as it will give me an excuse to tidy up. I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten.

There is a guy parting a wagon on the vortex that probably has one on it also.

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
I wanted to give an update on my rig.

A week or two into daily driving I started to get a fuel system related failure. The car would run rough, and stall. There is another thread on the details.

Lucky for my I'm not too far from Oliver - TorqueJunkie - so we decided to let him take a look and see if we could get her running right. I think most of you know Oliver - for those that don't - he's the man.

We decided that the needle lift sensor on injector 3 was bad, and replaced the injector. Thinking that this had solved what could have been a vastly more expensive repair, I went ahead and called ID parts and ordered a south bend clutch and PP520's.

Once these were installed I picked up the car, but to my dismay the fueling issue wasn't solved. Back to Oliver - who ended up having to replace the injection pump. He also dropped and scrubbed the fuel tank, which was a good thing because the pick up was full of sand & mud.

It's been around 2 months since this all started, and i'm super excited to get my mystery wagon back and back on the road. It's been done for weeks, I just need to get a ride the 65 miles from my house to the shop to pick the car up.

Many thanks to the folks who know these cars and keep them going. Will update again after i get behind the wheel.

Best to all

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Glad to hear Oliver is still keeping TDIs going. Great find on this B4V. Echoing others, I too miss mine. It went to a good home within the community here though to somebody with the initiative and skills to keep it running like a top.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I am happy that we got to meet and hope you keep your car on the road for another 20 years! Such a sweet find for such a rare car in great shape.

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
Few more things off my checklist, windows tinted, no budget for rims but plasti dipped hub caps, new pads and rotors all the way around, and got the radio working. I've got an email out to Rocketchips to get the tune ordered up, we previously discussed RC2.

Got a check engine light last week: 01268 - Quantity adjuster (N146) 35-10 Intermitent.

I finally shelled out the cash for a VagCom and cleared the code. Considering the IP pump has less than 1000 miles on it, i've ordered a new fuel tank pick up, since mine was super rusty and nasty. Hopefully this solves it!

#2isgreen

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon
Folks on this thread - I'm gearing up to sell the wagon as soon as I can remember how to post photos. Anyone interested please pm me.