2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI ECU Tune Options

Deckardk

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI
Hello all, first post here.

Been looking at doing something to increase power and wondering what the best course is. Many say do nozzles first (no idea what's involved with that or cost), but others say just perform a tune.

APR seems to be pretty popular right now and is on sale for $539. It's an OBD-II only upgrade, so no risks in messing with the ECU box. This tune is based on stock nozzles, so wondering if changing nozzles later (or even before the APR tune) will gum up the tune.

Also wondering about other options.

TIA!

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_30tdi.html

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Best option is a Malone tune as he's a diesel guy. APR do great gasser stuff, but I wouldn't trust their diesel stuff.

No nozzles available for your truck - that's only for the older TDIs.

Next step would be a DPF delete, but that's for off-road use only.....

47driver

TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI, 2010 Touareg TDI, 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen
A tune is the fastest and safest (provided the company is reputable) way to get a measurable performance gain out of a diesel.

I have no experience with Malone, but they come highly rated by many members here.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
Thanks all. Larger gains from APR. Will give that a shot.
You'll be sorry...... You get what you pay for Malone is a trusted Desiel Company if you want a great steak you Dont go to Denny's or I hop.....
Just my 1 cent

Kj71109

TDI
2016 A6 Prestige
You'll be sorry...... You get what you pay for Malone is a trusted Desiel Company if you want a great steak you Dont go to Denny's or I hop.....
Just my 1 cent
I concur. Had an awesome tune on my Passat from Malone. I now have an A6 TDi and Buzzken is hooking me up with dpf delete and Malone tune as we speak. :)

Please post your review of the APR tune though! Always nice to hear feedback on the products available for our 3.0 diesels.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
1)You won't be upgrading nozzles on your Q5
2)There is technically more risk of messing up the ecu with obd flashing(especially with the company with a history of bricking)
3)An apr tune on that truck cannot make more power than the malone tune without unsafe boost levels, unsafe egt levels or magic pixie fairy dust injection.
4)You came here asking for opinions, you got them.

Deckardk

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI
1)You won't be upgrading nozzles on your Q5
2)There is technically more risk of messing up the ecu with obd flashing(especially with the company with a history of bricking)
3)An apr tune on that truck cannot make more power than the malone tune without unsafe boost levels, unsafe egt levels or magic pixie fairy dust injection.
4)You came here asking for opinions, you got them.
"1). You won't be upgrading nozzles on your Q5."

This was mentioned before.

"2)There is technically more risk of messing up the ecu with obd flashing(especially with the company with a history of bricking)"

Is this based on your personal experience or do you have something else to back that up?

"3)An apr tune on that truck cannot make more power than the malone tune without unsafe boost levels, unsafe egt levels or magic pixie fairy dust injection."

Okay.

"4)You came here asking for opinions, you got them."

Are you angry about something?

Edit:
Another thing that drew me to APR has to do with something fundamental to consumer comfort level: APR lists a phone number and address on their contact page, whereas Malone has neither. Very disconcerting.

https://www.goapr.com/contact/

http://www.malonetuning.com/contact-us

Last edited:

Kj71109

TDI
2016 A6 Prestige
Another note from me as I've had experience with both tuners. I had APR on my MK6 R and it was a beast at Stage 2+ All APR products. They are a great company with amazing support for gas engines. However, it seems like they don't push to tune the diesels as much as say Malone. There are a couple posts on audizine or audiworld about trying to get the tdi tune on their cars and unfortunately APR was unable to come through or are still working on it last I heard. So for me having experienced both I'm going with Malone because they have the most experience with diesel in the states.

Also regarding the contact info, just PM or email Buzzken, he is a dealer for Malone and responds as quickly as he can. Or check out the website and contact your closest dealer. Malone uses dealers as far as I know because he is very busy. Anyway whichever way you go, please post up your feedback as it goes along way helping others on which way they want to go with their diesels.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Edit:
Another thing that drew me to APR has to do with something fundamental to consumer comfort level: APR lists a phone number and address on their contact page, whereas Malone has neither. Very disconcerting.
Malone happens to be hearing impaired, so email if fine to get ahold of him or any of his dealers could talk to you.

APR is bankrupt and was sold and been doing some shady things recently so..

http://www.audiboost.com/content.ph...-want-you-to-read-and-the-RSC-exhaust-scandal

You wanted some honest opinions and you more than got them.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I have a 2009 Q7 TDI. It had gobs of power bone stock. Your Q5 is lighter and I think the timing is such that your's might have a bit more power. How much more can you get out of the 3.0?

SigQ5

TDI
Q5
Best option is a Malone tune as he's a diesel guy. APR do great gasser stuff, but I wouldn't trust their diesel stuff.

No nozzles available for your truck - that's only for the older TDIs.

Next step would be a DPF delete, but that's for off-road use only.....
I read your note and those from others that are knowledgeable with great interest.

I would appreciate help understanding:

1- What impact the Malone tune would have on emissions?

2- Does the Malone tune impact car software or leave a record in car?

3- What does the "DPF Delete" consists of?

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
"DPF Delete" = remove the Diesel Particulate Filter - would certainly impact emissions (fine carbon particles). Implies removing the Adblue system too, in the Q5 (NOx suppression).

Malone tunes are available that do not require this hardware modification - I do not know if these versions impact emissions in any way.

Malone tune would be visible to Audi diagnostic equipment. I believe a dealer reflash would wipe out the tune so once it's there, be careful about going to a dealer

SigQ5

TDI
Q5
"DPF Delete" = remove the Diesel Particulate Filter - would certainly impact emissions (fine carbon particles). Implies removing the Adblue system too, in the Q5 (NOx suppression).

Malone tunes are available that do not require this hardware modification - I do not know if these versions impact emissions in any way.

Malone tune would be visible to Audi diagnostic equipment. I believe a dealer reflash would wipe out the tune so once it's there, be careful about going to a dealer
Thank you for your good response.
It helps

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Yes, it is visible. The flash count shows every time you've flashed the ECU. You can return it to stock, but the count increases.