New SEAT Ibiza TDI

UnionJack

Hi,

I aint dropped by for a very long while (since I sold out and bought a gasser.. sorry. It is a VW though!), BUT! Here I am with a tasty bit of TDI gossip

Anyway. Dont know if any of you guys have seen/heard about this one, but on www.AutoExpress.co.uk (uk web/paper publication) today is a snippet about the new Seat Ibiza due spring 2002.

They generally rave on about the car for a bit then drop this little piece in

>>>>>
"Hot Ibizas make up a large chunk of British sales, but fans of the Cupra models are in for a surprise, as the fastest model in the new range is going to be a diesel!

With oil-burners accounting for 60 per cent of new car sales in Spain, demand for hot versions is high, and the SEAT doesn't disappoint with VW's 130bhp Pumpe Düse 1.9-litre unit and a six-speed manual box. That means a 129mph top speed and 0-60mph sprint of just over nine seconds, allied to 310Nm and 52mpg. But the diesel madness won't end there - a Cupra R model is planned using the 150bhp PD TDI engine just launched in the Golf, to create one of the fastest oil-burners in the world."
<<<<

From what I gather, the 130TDI PD in the current Golf will hit 60mph in under 9 seconds in unmodified form, so I'd imagine the Ibiza's figure will be quicker than the mag's conservative guestimate