Shine SRS on a B4

robdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I did a search on the past years posts looking for anyone with a shine swaybar and SRS in a B4 Passat. Am I the first?

In the process or putting on my snow tires last weekend, I found a lot of fluid on my rear shocks and the boots were torn. When I did my road test after the tires were installed, The rear drivers side was bottoming out on moderate bumps at moderate speed. I intend to keep the car a long time, and wanted to improve it's on-ramp capability to build merging speed. I decided on the Bilstien HDs, the Shine rear sway, keeping the stock springs (shine recomended), and replacing all the urethane strut bearings, bushings, etc. Anyone else with this setup? Since I called Shine, the bottoming out has gone away, but the highway wallowing is as bad as ever, maybe worse. I did upsize to 15" Blizzaks on new steels. My new summer setup will be 16". Any input would be appreciated.

Rob

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Rob,

If you have the Blizzaks on now, the highway wallowing you feel may be from running those Blizzaks on dry pavement. I've noticed this feeling when running not only the Blizzaks, but other winter snows (heavily siped) when running on dry pavement. This is a typical characteristic when not running a "siped" tire in snow/slush or ice.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kirk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think you're both right. My Blizzaks were quite squirmy when new but are better now (after two seasons). Regarding Shine, I bet the combo of the rear bar, HDs, and stock springs would be really excellent. I have the SRS setup on my Jetta Wagon and I love it, although it does ride firm. I've read in several places that the combo you're considering is a great compromise between ride and handling.

Go for it!

robdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks all for the input on the tires. I had not thought about the tread pattern being a cause. I saw the torn shock boots and oil and assumed shocks right away. The Blizzaks are wider and on a 15" wheel as opposed to the 14" I had last week. I assumed that the tires would have less flex. The tires already have one season on them, (bought used). My wifes A3 Wolfburg Jetta did not squrm like this with new Blizzaks.

I am already scheduled with Shine for the week of Christmas. I had raised the car again to change the oil, and again the shocks are bottoming out.

Thanks all,

Rob

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
I'd go with the TC's.

I have them and they are alright.

I also have a Neuspeed sway bar in the rear.

You don't have to drill to put the Neuspeed sway bar in, that's a big plus for me.

Danix has good prices for Bilstein TC's.

robdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Is the ride "alright" with the TC's? Compared to the worn out suspension before your TC's or compared to replacing the stock components. Anything is better than the bump steer, wallowing, and bouncing I have now.

I am looking for a little more cornering performance. I often wish I had an additional 5 mph merging on the short uphill on-ramp near me.

Thanks,
Rob

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
The ride is higher if you don't change the springs.

At first I changed only the shocks.

The ride was about an inch higher.

It was firmer, still very comfy.

Afterwards, I've put Neuspeed sport coils that brought suspension down to original specs.

Also added a sway bar at the same time.

Ride is still comfy, but firm, as it should be.