Ice racing - guaging interest

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
*Post updated with all relevant info.

So this is typically an event exclusive to Audi S-cars, but this year my dad is taking over the event and I asked if I could extend the invite to the TDI group. He said sure!

1) Date: We don't have a date yet, and the whole event depends on the thickness of the ice. We need 20" to be safe. This will most likely happen in February, possibly even March.

2) Timeline: This is most likely going to be a two day event. It's a free for all for Saturday or Sunday, pick whichever day suits you fine (if there is a higher demand for one of the days we may have to limit the # so we can all get a good amount of runs on the track). We'll get there as early as we can, set up a running order, and go nuts. We then usually break for lunch, do some more racing, and leave with the daylight.

3) Track: There will be two tracks, one for time trials and one straight for top speed runs. These will be plowed out for us by a local.

4) Safety: Beware, there will be modified S cars present which will make our FWD times look pretty pathetic, but it is a HUGE blast to really let these cars loose without any fear of a) speeding tickets b) crashing/damaging your car c) mechanical failure (tires slip, not your shiny new clutch!). For safety reasons, there will only be one car on the track at any time, and a waiver must be signed.

5) Cost: There will be a small cost involved to cover the cost of the plowing. Something like $20.

Interested List:
ssnapier (maybe)
Blizzak
OhMagoo
TDI'ed
CountryGuy
REDNECKDZL
newtdidave
redlinedave
SilveR316
lanciaf1
highlader69 (duplicate from SOS cars)
winger328
papiot

Status Updates:
Dec. 8/09: will be contacting Lake Bernard Outfitters tomorrow. They will let us know when we have the 20" required to be safe. Once we have 20", we then contact the town and go from there. So not until we have 20" will we have a date.

Jan 19/10: location may be moved to Gull Lake in Gravenhurst. Currently there's approximately 10" in Gravenhurst, and likely 12" in Sundridge. Still waiting on that ice...

Last edited:

ssnapier

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Turbo Diesel (RIP), 2006 Jetta TDI
I would love to come and meet you... I could bring my TDI... AND my S-6, but I would need a very long lead time to make that happen because I don't have a passport at the moment!

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! Bring a friend and bring both cars. My pop's car is a 97 S6 with 400+hp.

Like I said, the very earliest would be the end of January, most likely mid-February or even early March. Get that passport! Are you on the audiworld URS car forum? Look for mchaloux/chaloux on there as well.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Hmmmm, I used to race my renault 5 on the ice in Two Mountains Quebec....rubber only vs studded...That was 25 years ago. Its a terrific test of ones driving skills, horsepower is almost irrelevant with rubber to ice. Get ready to crash some snow banks and watch the powder fly.

The old reanult 5s with their soft suspension, and long legs were great for the chewed up icy tracks. The hondas with their *stiff* suspensions were much more demanding. Its a real judge of ones driving skills and feel.

Have fun!!

Craig

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Some people may have studded tires... Damned cheaters!

So you're NOT in, then. Come on guys, I thought more of you would want to brave the true north and have a good time, food, and maybe a beer or two. Or are you all about dyno sheets and car polish? :p

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Hmm...seriously considering this, but it won't be with a TDI.

It would be just what the doctor ordered...stress relief.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Just one car on the track (re: no accidents!). Laps will probably be around 1-2 minutes, so maybe if the interest gets to a certain level we'll have to have a limited number of spots and do first come first serve. It would suck if there was 50 guys and everyone only got to do 1 or 2 laps.

It's basically just a time trial, but it's a great learning experience and definitely helps you get a real feel for your car's limits on ice/snow. Hopefully it will make you a better winter driver - as long as you don't go around driving like everything is a course :)

And just so you know, I'll be driving my Beetle, but I'll probably also have a go in my pops S6... I just won't be able to help myself.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I should also mention that the drive up there is beautiful, and there's still a nice little section of two lane highway to get your high speed passing relief.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
for anyone thinking of trying it.... DO IT!! I've done ice racing on motorcycles with just sheet metal screws as studs and WOW what fun.

rubber on ice only with the cars would be a hoot too.

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
I'd be interested if studded tires are welcome ;) I run studded Hakka 5 :) but they are getting bold. So they might be only a slight advantage on ice but won't give any on snow :D

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I'd be up for a day of ice racing

what's you figuring for a date, cause that will tell me if i can make it or not

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Studded tires are definitely welcome. We'd like to close the event to VAG cars, but since you're a VAG owner Blizzak I think bringing the STI would be fine (and just a bit quicker :p).

So we have 6 people interested from TDICLUB:

ssnapier (maybe)
Blizzak
OhMagoo
TDI'ed
CountryGuy
REDNECKDZL

I'm not sure how many S-car drivers will be there, but hopefully this will be a good turnout! I've been talking with my dad and we are considering a straight for a top speed run (the lake is 4 miles long, no islands).

I will update my original post with more details as they become available. It's hard to set a date right now, but we'll try to figure it out ASAP.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay guys, I'm updating the original post with all the info so we don't have to sift through pages. I'll post the interested list there, as well as the Status Updates. If anything happens, it will be mentioned there!

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Ah, I see...well it would be my friend's STI we'd be bringing (gord273 on these forums) and he owns a modded beetle TDI too, if that makes it any more allowable ;)

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! I'll add you guys to the list. By the way, based on the interested shown so far by both the Audi group and the TDI group, it looks like we'll be doing two separate days (unless you really want to run on a certain day, for whatever reason. A mix is always nice :))

lanciaf1

TDI
2012 fiat 500, 1996 golf td, 1983 BMW E21 320i
I', definitely in, probably with the 1997 2.0 cabrio if not, ill take the wife's beetle.:)

highlader69

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 1998 Jetta tdi
I'm in for sure

This will be my 3rd trip up to Sundridge......great times to be had

I'm bringing my Audi 4000 quattro turbo.

Cheers,

Craig.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Would there be a cost involved? I'd love to come drive around but I won't be sporting winter tires or anything fancy so I won't push too much. Hell, it would be great to just watch and maybe copilot for one of you guys :D

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, that is a good point Victor. I'll update the original post.

There will be a small cost, something like $20, to cover the cost of the plowing. This depends how many people come out. That is all. Of course if you want to eat/fill your car, that might cost a bit extra :)

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
I would certainly be intersted in coming. I have a 2005 a6 3.2 quattro. What is your opinion of all season tires for the race. I probably won't have winters On this year. And your top speed track are you going to spread something on the ice for traction? At least a patch for stopping. Also if you have a 4 mile lake I would suggest that you make the top speed track 3 miles long and braking mandatory by 1.5-2 mile mark. If you keep going fast towards the shore water underneath the ice will be pushed ahead of the car the water will crash into the shore and cause the ice to break. Just a thought.

This really sounds like fun though. Do you know of anyone with audi leaving traction control and stability control on does it work and do they navigate the track faster? From my experience with my car I would say it would be faster but I guess all we can do is wait and see.