www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 20th, 2018, 15:30   #31
KBCB

TDI(s): none

well... poop!

I needed to move the car out of the garage yesterday to finish up another project. When I started it I didn't notice any white smoke. So I decided that I would go ahead and see if I could re-create the initial problems as described to me.

I gingerly went down the driveway and got onto the main road. Things seemed to be going ok. Then I gave it maybe 1/2 throttle then noticed lots of smoke coming out the back. Started backing off the throttle. Couple seconds later the RPM's started picking up. CRAP! Shut off the ignition and put the clutch in and started making my way towards the shoulder. After maybe 10-15 seconds with the engine racing BANG! Things started coming apart, and the engine sounded like a bunch of bolts in a coffee can. Got to the shoulder, got out and saw bits and pieces all along the road with a nice oil streak.

So drug it back home, got it back in the garage. The block is cracked in at least 2 spots that I could see. Near the bellhousing, and near where the dipstick enters. I'll post up some carnage pictures later this week.

So looks like I'm in need of a new ALH block! Thanks again for all the thoughts and suggestions!
KBCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 16:37   #32
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

I am truly sorry for your loss, we have all been there when we made a wrong move that made things worse.
I am not trying to be mean by saying this but you did not listen to all of our advice on starting it up. oh well, another one bites the dust. My suspicion is that you had a head gasket failure, you warped the head and cylinder past its egg limits, too much blow by and oil consumption caused it to run away and that dominoed into a total failure.
A leak down test would have exposed this issue, there is a high chance that this was going to happen or you were going to find out that the block was fubard and in my opinion it was doomed and you blowing it up just caused you to have less work and $ in parts on an engine that was already ready for carnage.
again, i know it feels really sh!tty but feel relived that its over, you didn't spend more than you just lost. Maybe you can do a engine swap and have some fun with a new build!
Any chance you can upload some pictures and we can have a moment of silence internet style for the loss of another beloved TDI?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 17:35   #33
KBCB

No offense taken. Given how fast this engine grenaded I don't think it was long for this world anyways. My suspicion is that there was a ring failure that was causing the smoke. And I would also bet this wasn't the first time that it did this. When I saw the smoke billowing out (for the spit second I was able to divert my attention) It didn't look white to me. It looked blue.

At any rate I do have a decision to make. I could probably part this out and get my money back out, but to be honest I was really looking forward to having a little TDi wagon. So I'm going to look around and see what I can find for an ALH.

I will post a couple pictures as soon as I can.
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:06   #34
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
I am not trying to be mean by saying this but you did not listen to all of our advice on starting it up.
Honestly, I tried to re-reading this entire thread and nobody really warned him about checking the oil in the intercooler... unless I somehow missed it.
Old February 21st, 2018, 09:40   #35
tadawson
Veteran Member

Yes, they did . . . post #10.

(Not that that matters at this point . . .).
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 09:44   #36
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Yes, they did . . . post #10.

(Not that that matters at this point . . .).
Yeah, but they didn't say not to start it.

(Not that that matters at this point . . .)
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:28   #37
KLXD
Veteran Member

I didn't follow this thread but read through it today. I don't mean to kick you when you're down and hindsight is 20-20 but...

Bad TC put oil in #2 increasing the compression either by oil pooled in the piston or just helping the rings seal?

He did the compression test with the plugs in the cylinders not being tested. They should all have been out.

And with a suspected head gasket leak he should have pulled all the plugs anyway and spun the engine to blow out any water. This might have revealed oil in #2.

Motor running away? Don't put it in neutral, shut off the key and use the brakes to control the speed while pulling over.

Also interesting that the ASV didn't stop the motor. Or was it disabled during the troubleshooting? He said he shut it off before pulling over.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5

Last edited by KLXD; February 21st, 2018 at 10:33.
KLXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 11:29   #38
KBCB

No worries, at this point I'm treating this as a post-morteum discussion. I'd rather learn from this, and move forward, than shy away and not say anything about my mistakes. This discussion will hopefully help someone else from making the same mistakes.

This is also my first go-around with getting my hands this far into a diesel. But it isn't going to be the last time. I still have my donor ALH to go into my 4Runner. And part of grabbing this car was to really familiarize myself with these engines. Well, be careful what you ask for!

I realized afterward I should have stalled the motor with the breaks. I didn't disable the ASV for any troubleshooting, so it should have shut the engine down. Not sure how fast the ASV is supposed to engage, but this all happened very quickly. Hard to estimate time when these things are going on, but I was probably doing 35mph and before I could get the car to a stop, or even appreciatively slowed, the engine was already done.

Quote:
He did the compression test with the plugs in the cylinders not being tested. They should all have been out.
Noted for next time!
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:30   #39
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Regardless of going to school or not, we all pay for our education as adults. we can only learn from others and from our own mistakes. The more costly the mistake, the better the education. Think of this as a $~1,500 educational course in TDI care, learn from it and share with others, it's all you can do!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:10   #40
Franko6

KCBC,

I've been lurking waiting to see what happened. That's a catastrophe. Rod through the block... But the rod was not the inception, just the last crack in the wall(pun intended). I was wondering if it was the #3 or #4 rod. Usually it's #3.

We have been using a main bearing set that has 6 radially slotted bearing shells and 4 solid shells. The reason for the additional slotted rod bearing is to keep the most often broken rod, the #3, from doing exactly what yours probably did. The 'extra' slotted bearing goes in the #4 main bearing cap, so that you have a slotted bearing top and bottom. This causes the oil feed to the #3 rod to be 100% duty rather than 50%. The solid bearing cuts oil flow to the #3 rod off for 1/2 of it's rotation. Although all of the rods do the same, the #3 rod is the most strained because of the intake manifold design directs air to the #3 and the water flow makes the #3 cylinder hotter. It receives more potential strain.

We build a lot of engines here and have a reputation for getting it right. The one thing I can say is you cylinder head is probably just fine. The crank might be ok. You probably have several pistons and rods that will work. We don't weld holes in blocks...

But you might be lucky and even if the crank is galled, it's probably repairable.

Let us know if you need some help.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:42   #41
Prairieview

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

OP:
This guy parts out items in Monument. He may have something for you.
I made a run down there this early winter.
https://eastco.craigslist.org/search...y=tdi+monument
Prairieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:01   #42
KBCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieview View Post
OP:
This guy parts out items in Monument. He may have something for you.
I made a run down there this early winter.
https://eastco.craigslist.org/search...y=tdi+monument

Thanks for the link! How was he to deal with? Fair?

Frank thanks for the input. Like I mentioned before I have another ALH that's going in my 4Runner. In your opinion would it be worth it to redo the bearings in that motor? My top priority for any engine in that truck is reliability. That's my adventure-mobile and it's not uncommon to find myself wandering through BFE, where a break-down could be serious.
Old Today, 00:56   #43
Prairieview

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

Monument:
Yes. He seems a good man. Know what you need prior to getting there. I believe much of the engine items disappear quickly. But, he is getting stuff all the time out of the city to the north.

I worked on obtaining 5-speed components.
Prairieview is offline   Reply With Quote