Crank position sensor fault symptoms

DieselDork

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW
Popped a code and had it scanned. Shop said it was the engine speed (crank position sensor) The car wouldn't start and then did after some trying. Also, car will die for no reason while pulling away from a stop and shudders frequently while on the high way. Question, if I replace the sensor, do I need any special tools/precautions? I have seen a guy on YouTube do it and he says the cranks doesn't need to be at any specific TDC. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
This sounds similar to what our Jeep did when the CPS died. I've never heard of one going out on a TDI.

In the Jeep, it was just a matter of finding it, unbolting and replacing. Easy job. If yours is bad, you can confirm by hooking a voltmeter to it and putting a hair dryer to it. They usually go batty from heat when they are bad (if it fails for the same reason as the jeep ones do).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Nothing special to change it. They do fail occasionally on TDIs. If you have a manual transmission, when it dies and you haven't pushed in the clutch, does the tach read any RPM? Or when it's cranking and won't start will the tach read any RPM?

These are signs that the CPS isn't working.

The crank does not need to be at any certain position when changing it.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
its not the sensor that goes bad , its the wire insulation breaking down inside the plug ...or thats what was found on mine...would start and run , wiggle connector and engine would die...replaced sensor all good,
disassembly of old sensor showed wiring chaffed INSIDE the connector where no one could possible see that any problem existed...fwiw

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yep, simple systems that work or do not. It's the cylinder thing in the bottom center of the picture. The one below it shows the cutout that it uses as a reference.

newedgesvt

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yeah, my CPS went bad last year and I had the exact same symptoms as you and it took me forever to figure out what the issue actually was.

Really easy to change. One small bolt (I believe 12mm 12point, don't quote me on that) holds it in, wiggle it out, unplug it and replace it.

Haven't had that problem with dying while pulling away from a stop since...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Yeah, my CPS went bad last year and I had the exact same symptoms as you and it took me forever to figure out what the issue actually was.
Really easy to change. One small bolt (I believe 12mm 12point, don't quote me on that) holds it in, wiggle it out, unplug it and replace it.
Haven't had that problem with dying while pulling away from a stop since...
I believe mine was a 9mm 12pt head. Pretty odd size. Mine intermittently stalled for several years (once every couple of months) before finally crapping out. No codes until it finally died.

newedgesvt

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I believe mine was a 9mm 12pt head. Pretty odd size. Mine intermittently stalled for several years (once every couple of months) before finally crapping out. No codes until it finally died.
I think you're right on the bolt size. I know it was a 12-point socket.

Mine would only throw the check engine light on when I had cranked it for more than 10 or 15 seconds after it died. But lo and behold, when I plugged in VCDS, there was a hidden code for fault CPS

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
Hate to bring an old thread to life, I recently purchased a 2004 TDI Golf and driving it home from the seller the car stalls, No engine code at all, called the old owner and he said the car has never stalled on him, the next day I drive the car and the car stalls again and won't start this time, I was able to coast backwards and jumpstart it, engine light is on and get P0727 code. Hopefully the Crank position sensor change will be the fix to a stalling Golf.
Also I put almost 175 miles and the needle hasn't moved off the F on the fuel gauge :)

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hate to bring an old thread to life, I recently purchased a 2004 TDI Golf and driving it home from the seller the car stalls, No engine code at all, called the old owner and he said the car has never stalled on him, the next day I drive the car and the car stalls again and won't start this time, I was able to coast backwards and jumpstart it, engine light is on and get P0727 code. Hopefully the Crank position sensor change will be the fix to a stalling Golf.
Also I put almost 175 miles and the needle hasn't moved off the F on the fuel gauge :)

Same issue

"After further inspection, I noticed that about 5 inches of the wire between the plug end and the sensor is missing. So I'll replace that and see what happens. Maybe something ate it I guess."

From here

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4760577

The needle staying at F could be that the tank is filled right up, I think it takes a bit before it starts moving but if in doubt the sender can be reached under the back seat, take off the black metal plate and it's there. You can take it out and visually check the fuel level, if it looks half full or that then try working the float lever up and down a few times while pushing it gently against the sender. Can help clean the contact bit the float runs against.

Cured one of my previous golf tdi's

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
Same issue

"After further inspection, I noticed that about 5 inches of the wire between the plug end and the sensor is missing. So I'll replace that and see what happens. Maybe something ate it I guess."

From here

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4760577

The needle staying at F could be that the tank is filled right up, I think it takes a bit before it starts moving but if in doubt the sender can be reached under the back seat, take off the black metal plate and it's there. You can take it out and visually check the fuel level, if it looks half full or that then try working the float lever up and down a few times while pushing it gently against the sender. Can help clean the contact bit the float runs against.

Cured one of my previous golf tdi's
The Crank position sensor cure the stalling issue, the fuel gauge is working fine, just was making a comment about it not moving because of the amazing MPGs this car is getting, as it's my first Manual from my previous 2002 TDI Jetta auto, I was at about 120 miles when it moved. I'd be lucky to get 400 just passing 1/2 tank, I'm at 400 now and 1 line before the 1/2 way mark.
Can't wait to see how many miles I can achieve 75/25 hwy city.

sjurea

TDI
2002 Caddy (built 2001) @ 155000 km
Sorry for raising the tread from the dead, but did anyone figure out what sort of 12-pointed bolt it was? XZN, 12-spline flange or maybe double-hex?

Here's mine, btw.

Last edited:

Billygolf4tdi

TDI
Mk4 1.9 tdi
raising the dead here.

I have to replace a crank sensor (g28 fault)

where does the connector plug into?
I see a black blue and white plug by the oil filter.

I have a mk4 4 1.9 tdi 130pd asz

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
It's the light gray connector just above the black connector next to the oil filter housing.

Billygolf4tdi

TDI
Mk4 1.9 tdi
Is it the light grey one which has a black one below it?

It is just that my 03 has had 17 years of bodges and electrical tape (I have only had it a year.