www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 13th, 2018, 23:56   #16
Festa

TDI(s): Vw t5 van

Thanks guys again I really appreciate the help
Fix until broke....thanks for the link..
We're here for one reason and that is to extract what we can from an engine.
Most have been in a position which we kinder know what's going to happen or want clarification but you don't always have someone in the workshop to bounce ideas off.
Hoping that most of you know this is agear driven 5 pot that's been fitted in a toe rag and it seems that there's not many have tuned this lump as it had a short life compared to the 4 pot 1.9/2L
The gear driven timing isn't a proplem and is reliable which is more than I can say for the rest of it, but I do have a soft spot for it.
It didn't really help that I had some machine work done which didn't turn out right so that's why I'm here as to get over a problem.
Topping the pistons.....next time as now I know what direction to go as I have another set that's seen sign of a load of metal been thrown around the crankshaft area but with a bit of tlc and coating will be fine.
Forge pistons I believe grow more than the oe piston.
Gasket....I have gone the route of 486. I've ordered a 3 hole thickest gasket and will take a piece of the new/old only compressed gasket that's not had a heat cycle yet and going to insert within the new head gasket and hope it doesn't let go.
I did run with a inserted leaf a couple of builds ago but took it out because of the white smoke at cold start issue...It looks like an old coach starting.
Really starting to miss driving the old girl now as it's like a pair of old shoes.
Festa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 19:50   #17
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festa View Post
Thanks for the input guys..Yes Martin is right I have made a gasket up with two gaskets in the past but I was trying to avoid this as it seems bad practice.
Its not bad practice at all. I buy Cometic's for my Turbo Caravan's and customers turob Daytona's, GLH's etc, and that's how Cometic does it, but they do use a thicker shim but we've done that for years with Cometic's, mixing and matching to get the required compression, and they hold fine at 30+ psi of boost.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 00:27   #18
Festa

TDI(s): Vw t5 van

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Its not bad practice at all. I buy Cometic's for my Turbo Caravan's and customers turob Daytona's, GLH's etc, and that's how Cometic does it, but they do use a thicker shim but we've done that for years with Cometic's, mixing and matching to get the required compression, and they hold fine at 30+ psi of boost.
Thanks for the heads up..I was a bit worried of the reed effect of a thinner leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
and they hold fine at 30+ psi of boost.
I'm over that but I think it should still be fine.
Engine is mostly now back together and just waiting on some stuff back from the powder coaters..trying to work out how to upload pictures?
Festa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 20:50   #19
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festa View Post
Thanks for the heads up..I was a bit worried of the reed effect of a thinner leaf

I'm over that but I think it should still be fine.
Engine is mostly now back together and just waiting on some stuff back from the powder coaters..trying to work out how to upload pictures?
You can use a photo host site or save them on here.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote