Shift tower gasket broken?

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I attached two photos of the shift tower gasket. How important is this gasket? With the gasket in this condition, if I maybe... Perhaps... Might have taken a pressure washer to the tranny, could this cause any issues?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
The seal serves two purposes. It keeps the transmission oil from migrating up and out of the tower and helps protect the small bearing/ trans internals from outside contaminates.

It’s a pretty simple and cheap repair. If your loosing sleep over it go ahead a change the seal.

As the poster above already mentioned, inspect the condition of that bearing. A rusted/seized bearing adversely affects your shifting performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94cobra2615

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Wagon
If the tower isnt sloppy (worn bearing) id just pop off the round black plastic cap and fill it full of grease.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
If the tower isnt sloppy (worn bearing) id just pop off the round black plastic cap and fill it full of grease.

A quick bearing heath check is to push down on counterweight /relay lever ( have it in neutral) and see if it springs back up. If it does,
the bearing is still in good shape

You can always remove the tower body from the transmission and visually inspect it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk