Springs for MKIV Jetta Wagon

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
I am in the process of replacing the struts on my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon and was planning on reusing the stock coil springs. Upon removing them, I found one of the fronts broken and the rest are looking pretty bad, so I've decided to replace them. Looking online and reading posts here, I haven't found a solid answer on what springs I should use as replacements for mine, so I'm hoping I can get some assistance with choosing.

My stock springs have color codes:
Front: Purple - pink - pink - pink - pink (150 lb/in)
Rear: Blue - Blue - white - white (170 lb/in)

I do tow a trailer so keeping the rear springs as stiff or stiffer than stock is important.

The Moog front 81134 springs have a rate of 128 lb/in but are 1" taller. IDparts lists them as the stock springs on the VR6 and will give a slight lift, but doesn't state if that's on the sedan or wagon.
The Moog rear 81055 springs have a rate of 163 lb/in but people say they are a direct replacement for the stock wagon springs. Not sure?
IDParts sells a set of Suplex rear towing springs (https://www.idparts.com/rear-towing-springs-pair-a4-jetta-wagon-p-4365.html) that are rated at 190 lb/in. A good upgrade but much more expensive.

I would appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone has as at this point, I'm super confused and conflicted.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
When you want lift and towing capability in these it's really difficult to find anything out right off.
I just had a pair built and told them what I wanted.
I believe it was could sitting specialities. http://www.coilsprings.com/

Also there's a company in Canada that sells a set for lifting the rear a little.
https://customsuspension.com/collec...ch-custom-front-rear-coils?variant=1724299332

You should read this as you need to fab a bracket for the rear shocks to lift them
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473472&page=2
And
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=474749

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I am in the process of replacing the struts on my '03 Jetta TDI Wagon and was planning on reusing the stock coil springs. Upon removing them, I found one of the fronts broken and the rest are looking pretty bad, so I've decided to replace them. Looking online and reading posts here, I haven't found a solid answer on what springs I should use as replacements for mine, so I'm hoping I can get some assistance with choosing.
My stock springs have color codes:
Front: Purple - pink - pink - pink - pink (150 lb/in)
Rear: Blue - Blue - white - white (170 lb/in)
I do tow a trailer so keeping the rear springs as stiff or stiffer than stock is important.
The Moog front 81134 springs have a rate of 128 lb/in but are 1" taller. IDparts lists them as the stock springs on the VR6 and will give a slight lift, but doesn't state if that's on the sedan or wagon.
The Moog rear 81055 springs have a rate of 163 lb/in but people say they are a direct replacement for the stock wagon springs. Not sure?
IDParts sells a set of Suplex rear towing springs (https://www.idparts.com/rear-towing-springs-pair-a4-jetta-wagon-p-4365.html) that are rated at 190 lb/in. A good upgrade but much more expensive.
I would appreciate any insight or suggestions anyone has as at this point, I'm super confused and conflicted.

Hi

I have a bunch of parts off my 2003 wagon ... I can check what colors the factory front springs are .... parts are pretty rust free and dots are still on them ...

I was upgrading everything (struts, springs, lower ccx a arm etc ... not that they were broken just upgraded to more performance oriented stuff... koni special active struts, lesjofors vr6 springs, lower a arm with tt bushings ...etc ...).

Ill have some other stuff from swaps out soon too.

I have not had a chance to put them in the parts for sake section but if you are Interested in this pm me but I'll still see wha the color codes are on the front springs if it'll help you ...

Andrew

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
Hi
I have a bunch of parts off my 2003 wagon ... I can check what colors the factory front springs are .... parts are pretty rust free and dots are still on them ...
I was upgrading everything (struts, springs, lower ccx a arm etc ... not that they were broken just upgraded to more performance oriented stuff... koni special active struts, lesjofors vr6 springs, lower a arm with tt bushings ...etc ...).
Ill have some other stuff from swaps out soon too.
I have not had a chance to put them in the parts for sake section but if you are Interested in this pm me but I'll still see wha the color codes are on the front springs if it'll help you ...
Andrew
Thank you for the offer but just as you did, I want to replace everything w/ new components. My hope is to not have to touch the suspension components for the next 10yrs.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Thank you for the offer but just as you did, I want to replace everything w/ new components. My hope is to not have to touch the suspension components for the next 10yrs.
Hi

I can understand wanting to replace with new components ....

I did look at the colors on the springs and it looks like 5 pink but for whatever reason the first looked A lot more inact than the last four dots ...

When I redid my suspension this is what I used...

Lesjofors vr6 front springs , new lower control arms with tt bushings, koni special active struts / shocks , new sway bar bushings and end links...

The rear springs I kept the same since I think new ones may have raised the rear and I wanted the car to sit more level ....

I did add a white line rsb

Good luck on your suspension ... it makes a big difference in car feel.

Andrew

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hi

I can understand wanting to replace with new components ....

I did look at the colors on the springs and it looks like 5 pink but for whatever reason the first looked A lot more inact than the last four dots ...

When I redid my suspension this is what I used...

Lesjofors vr6 front springs , new lower control arms with tt bushings, koni special active struts / shocks , new sway bar bushings and end links...

The rear springs I kept the same since I think new ones may have raised the rear and I wanted the car to sit more level ....

I did add a white line rsb

Good luck on your suspension ... it makes a big difference in car feel.

Andrew

2018 I did the front springs VR6 Automatic from Suplex, # 39287. I can report no sagging since installation, 10,000 miles at most., Check out Beef on a Budget. VR6/Wagon springs:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=313121

Tom

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Here is the MOOG that I just ordered from idparts. I also ordered the Simplex springs, but didn't need it any higher than it already sits.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Here is the MOOG that I just ordered from idparts. I also ordered the Simplex springs, but didn't need it any higher than it already sits.
It almost looks like the one I had.
Mine had the rust in front of the doors.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
It almost looks like the one I had.
Mine had the rust in front of the doors.
I replaced both fenders and the hood due to rust (hood from chips, fenders from the normal rot). I wire brushed the edges of the rockers and behind the fenders and hit them with a quick spray of silver paint. Got lucky with finding local part-outs in reflex silver.

My 04 needs one fender - the other was replaced under the rust warranty.

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
Got everything installed. I'm not sure if the springs are longer or I'm just so used to broken suspension, but the ride is definitely higher than it used to be. Ride quality is excellent, though, so it's a non-issue to me.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Got everything installed. I'm not sure if the springs are longer or I'm just so used to broken suspension, but the ride is definitely higher than it used to be. Ride quality is excellent, though, so it's a non-issue to me.

What’s the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the fender for front and back’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
Measurement is the same front and back at 27 5/8" from the ground to middle of the fender lip. It's certainly higher than stock but comfortable.