MK IV golf right rear door stuck

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Ok as the title says , I have a MK IV golf.
The right hand rear door lock has been acting up and finally I had the time and the weather was warm enough to do this.

I have used the search function on here , again nothing I’ve read here works.

First off the DAMN door will not open either from the inside or the out side. Lock works as advertised.

Tried several of the youtube videos to no avail. Yes I’ve pounded on the door and tried the handles , I’ve also pushed in while trying the handles.....again no joy.

I’ve even lubed what I can access through the door handle no luck.

After some more YouTube videos I was able to remove the interior door trim( not fun but do able ) the window interior panel down to the door locks assy.

Again nothing I do will open the door. I again dosed the lock with some penetrating oil to no avail..... I even drilled a hole to remove the the screw that holds the lever that prevents the door from opening if the child lock is engaged....

I’m at a complete loss on how to get this door open just shy of a sawzall...
I cannot be the only one that this has happened to.
Any advice would be appreciated

chacaocop

TDI
2000 ALH, 2006 BRM
I am brainstorming without success. If the internal cable that is pulled by the handle wont open the door, I am at a loss. An extreme approach would be to remove the hinges, but you have to use a triple square bit with the right size. Once the bolts are out you will have to open it "suicide style" the latch might brake but then you can replace the module. Again, I have never done this. I don't know if it will work. I see that you are in New Jersey. Have you tried pushing the door from the inside with all your might? That might release it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes I’m at that point where I’m probably going to remove the door hinges and see how much play I have with the door loose.
If I can get enough room I’ll use two small sheets of aluminum to try and protect the door and body and try a saws all and cut the “D “ latch or whatever it’s called from the inside.

Yes I’ve seen that video and tried doing that with no success, thanks though for the link.

I see your in McKinney TX, I was down there several years ago with an airplane that was being outfitted there....nice area.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm not familiar with the Golf, but can you pull the inside door panel off and reach inside to try to release it?
Does the rear seat flip over for more access?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wonneber ——- yes I’ve been able to get the interior of the door off with much cursing.
Removing the lower seat cushions help, the backs have to stay up.

Getting the 2 screws is the hardest thing, not so much the front screw and the back won is a beeaach!
I needed a crowbar to slightly lift the trim panel enough it get a flexible drive with a torque bit to get the back one off.
The front one just had to lift the trim a little to get in there.

Then the interior came right off. The rest was easy as if doing it normally.
I was able to get down to the lock assy on the inside of the door , but no matter what cable I pulled on nothing would release.

If you use a couple of large flat head screw drivers you can compress the door seal and see the child’s safety lock , I was able to get a smaller screw driver in there and turned it both ways, still no joy..... I even drill holes into the inside of the door to remove a screw that held a lever that supposedly would allow the latch to reset and be able to open it......again no joy.

BobnOh——— yes I did a search and tried everything mentioned there and then some......even things on you tube with no success.

I’m at the point where I’ll remove the hinges to see how much wiggle room I have and try to cut the door striker pin off........just waiting for the parts to show up.

I will take pictures and post them when I get to it......still cold out.....

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Try pushing on some of the movable parts.
Make sure the lock button is up. :)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol...... been there done that.....nothing pushed , pulled or prodded unlocked the door.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
If it's Reflex Silver and you have to destroy it, I have a spare door you can have for free to pick up in Manhattan.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you Lex.....but unfortunately it’s black.....might still take you up if I destroy the door....I will keep you appraised.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SUCESS......I finally was able to get my rear door open.
I've let it sit a few months as I continued to ponder how to get this open.
I again searched the internet to try and find a solution and none of the videos and suggestions worked.

My original plan was to remove the door hinges but everything I could find was removal with having access to the inside of the lower door hinge....well that wasn’t happening.

I ended up opening the front door and you can see two triple square bolts there , one on the lower hinge and one on the upper. These are the ones attacked to the body, not the door itself.
I also realized that there are two attritional bolts hidden in the lower pillar behind and to the side of the seat where the seat belt tensioner is.

When I pulled these out the door literally feel off the car, caught me by surprise, I don’t whether it was from the weight of the door or that the door twisted when it fell off, but it unlocked the frozen lock.

So tomorrow it gets a new lock and i will finally be able to use the door that’s been locked for two years.........
I don’t have to destroy my door!!!
I cannot tell you how happy this makes me : )

Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited: