2004 Jetta TDI - my first TDI

crsuperman

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 1.9l
Hello! I just joined the TDI Club and this is my first post. I picked this car up from it's original owner with 146k miles on it. He really did take great care of it. There are a few things I need/want to do but it rides/handles amazingly. I am VERY happy with my purchase.

The headliner is falling a bit and from what I've read this seems normal. The brakes work fine but the pedal isn't as firm as if like. Will probably need to replace within 6-12 months.

While turning at low speeds I notice a bit of noise related to steering or front end springs maybe? Anyone else have the same?

Thanks for all the pointers or advice!

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
At some point I would recommend pulling the valve cover in order to inspect the camshaft & lifters. The PD engines are prone to cam wear; some can last for high miles, some don't. You also want to be sure the timing belt gets changed at about every 80K miles. As far as the soft brake pedal is concerned; I would start by doing a good flush on the fluid (VW recommends doing this every 20K miles). An inexpensive way to do this is get a speedbleeder valve (it is a bleed valve with a built in spring loaded check that prevents air from being sucked back as you bleed, there are other systems that flush the fluid also). If the flush does not restore a firm pedal, try to activate the anti-lock brake system; this can be done using Vagcom (sometimes this circuit can get some air in it). The car didn't have a bunch of air fresheners in it when you bought it? The drains from the sunroof sometimes leak water into the car. Are you sure the noise while turning at low speeds isn't the brakes?