Chevrolet Cruze Diesel sales

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
While Cruz diesel engine is of european origin with higher hp and torque than VW, the price as OilHammer mentioned is one reason for few sales. Moreover, I don't see many garages servicing Cruz diesels. I enquired about one. But the price discouraged me for pursuing. While performance of diesel cars have improved, the fact remains that their price, price of parts and service cost, are much expensive then gas cars. Moreover, diesel fuel costs more than gas, their pick-up is not feather like the gas cars, and they are now subject to emission testing. These facts contribute to few diesel cars sales in the country. Would I buy another diesel in the future? No for sure.
Guys get some info. Talk to dealers! Price is not the problem!! The supply has been real thin. Maybe because they are being careful since all this recall mess with all models. My local GM store is crying for Cruze diesels. Can't get EM. Plain and simple. All this talk of letting this model go is hogwash IMHO

TDI
chevy cruze
ur right

Guys get some info. Talk to dealers! Price is not the problem!! The supply has been real thin. Maybe because they are being careful since all this recall mess with all models. My local GM store is crying for Cruze diesels. Can't get EM. Plain and simple. All this talk of letting this model go is hogwash IMHO
Ur exactly right. The supply of cruze diesels has def hurt sales. Along with people not knowing about it yet. The redt of the year should give us pretty good idea because they will be on lots everywhere soon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just built a Cruze and did a local inventory search. There are 9 vehicles that are close matches to my search (black on black, no options) in my area. That's about how many Passat SE automatics I'd find, maybe more. I don't think availability is a problem, at least not around here.

And FWIW, a Cruze with the diesel and no options isn't crazy expensive. Came in at a little over 25K. That's not a lot different from a Jetta TDI SE with an automatic, and it doesn't have leather. I'd have to see the quality of the leather before saying that's a plus, however.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Given a base Cruze can be had here for $14k out the door, I'd say $25k IS expensive, and that IS why there are 3 of them sitting on the lot near my house gathering dust. And there must be such tight margins on them that the dealers and/or GM isn't giving any deals on them [yet].

oilhammer

TDI
...and I too just did the search, there are 15 diesels in the STL area dealers. So if someone thinks there is a shortage, they must not be looking too hard.

Weber, ELCO, Don Brown, Lou Fusz, Jim Butler Chevrolet (as well as Jim Trennary by my house) all have them on the lots now. 2014s, which means since this is August, these cars are actually going on one year old in some cases. I'd not be surprised if some of their build dates were several months ago. They are probably already building 2015 Cruzes.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Given a base Cruze can be had here for $14k out the door, I'd say $25k IS expensive, and that IS why there are 3 of them sitting on the lot near my house gathering dust. And there must be such tight margins on them that the dealers and/or GM isn't giving any deals on them [yet].
LS Manual MSRP from $18,345†
LS Automatic MSRP from $19,530†
1LT Manual MSRP from $19,640†
1LT Automatic MSRP from $20,735†
ECO Manual MSRP from $20,760†
ECO Automatic MSRP from $21,955†
2LT Manual MSRP from $22,120†
2LT Automatic MSRP from $23,405†
LTZ Automatic MSRP from $24,630†
Diesel Automatic MSRP from $25,810†

They all have 2500 cash back right now, plus 0% is available.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe they need a Value Edition Cruze Diesel, like VW did with the Jetta. Take out some features and drop the price 3K: that may make it more competitive. And a manual transmission, of course. Spare tire would be a nice touch, too.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
there are several around Houston on the new car lots. Cheapest I have seen online is about $22K with $2K back offer. Otherwise, most are $25+K models with $2K back.

I have not seen one actually sold and on the road here and I have been looking. :confused:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
A month ago I stopped by a chevy dealer in south west metro denver to see what they had in stock. They had three, one base model ~25k, one mid range model ~27k and one that was black top of their line with a ~31k price tag....

I asked the guy who was head of sales how many have they sold, he said a dozen over the last year. They got their first offering with diesel power June of last year. And they have traded with other dealers to get more to sell....

I am in the camp of they would be doing better with a manual trans offering.. A spare tire wouldn't hurt either....

But from what I could get out of the guy they are selling enough to get the required CAFE boost they were brought here to give, so all is good....

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Well I really hope they will be a success. More for them means more vw sales as the diesel awareness goes up.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
My Aunt bought a cruze gasser a few years ago. It had a dark blue exterior two tone gray black interior that was very nice. The car was a cheapo model but rode great and was very quiet. I actually was impressed. It was very quiet on the hwy with very little wind noise. Yet, reviews of the Cruze diesel were kind of ho him. I did not even look at it but opted for a CPO E350 bluetec.
Someone mentioned that try having it serviced by your GM tech. I have not found VW service to be that good and always had to tell them what was probably wrong with my 05 Jetta TDI from what I read here. If we could clone oilhammer and have several of him in every state in the USA, we would be better off. Then, I would feel more comfortable as a vw owner.

I hope the Cruze diesel proves reliable and stays in the product lineup.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I agree. For anyone on these forums to complain about GM techs when the dealer body for VW as a whole is so poorly thought of is hipocrisy defined. Is not the standard mantra for a new member: "Don't go to the dealer!" ? :rolleyes:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
That auto has got to be the one GM shares with Ford( who calls it the 6F35 ). It is not a bad box, and aside from being finickey about its oil level I would probably be OK with it...then I drive my old, 5-spd MkIV...and GM can kiss my hairy bottom if they think they are going to part me from my sack of cash for that. That thing is how many nice ALH cars? 3 maybe????

Add to that no spare tire? are you effin' kidding me? And yet we're damned if we do and damned if we don't buy it...not going to change it much if we do, and quit if we don't...and the folks at Ford will just say, I told you so...and continue refusing to build a Diesel Focus with an MMT6 in it. With a 1.6L, 110 hp TDCi, that is a real 65 mpg car on the highway....Gen1 Insight territory...:)
cheers,
Douglas

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
With the exception of the Toureg and EOS,I don't know why anyone would buy a VW car. Good luck to whoever buys a Volkswagen and tries getting it serviced by their dealer. If the dealer sells a doz of them it's probably a lot. Do you think they have techs that have a clue on whats going on under the hood?
I found a post equally true ^^

TDI
chevy cruze
...and I too just did the search, there are 15 diesels in the STL area dealers. So if someone thinks there is a shortage, they must not be looking too hard.
Weber, ELCO, Don Brown, Lou Fusz, Jim Butler Chevrolet (as well as Jim Trennary by my house) all have them on the lots now. 2014s, which means since this is August, these cars are actually going on one year old in some cases. I'd not be surprised if some of their build dates were several months ago. They are probably already building 2015 Cruzes.
I was goin by talk on cruzetalk. Everyone was waiting for them and they werent on every lot. Where u live is 1 percent of all the dealers in the US

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I 'tried one on for size' and was extremely disappointed in having to shoehorn my 6'+ frame into the seat. The seat did not seem to move back far enough, and then eliminated any rear passenger leg room. Although it was a gasser since the TDs hadn't arrived, I was not impressed with the interior trim, ride, minimal center console, etc. No comparison to the Passat TDI. The Chevy salesman was sure interested in my Passat, asking a bunch of questions about it.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I 'tried one on for size' and was extremely disappointed in having to shoehorn my 6'+ frame into the seat. The seat did not seem to move back far enough, and then eliminated any rear passenger leg room. Although it was a gasser since the TDs hadn't arrived, I was not impressed with the interior trim, ride, minimal center console, etc. No comparison to the Passat TDI. The Chevy salesman was sure interested in my Passat, asking a bunch of questions about it.
LOL norm...you just did a fine job describing my Golf...:) or a Jetta for that matter. I am looking more and more seriously about manual-izing a Passat because of it.
cheers,
Douglas

oilhammer

TDI
I was goin by talk on cruzetalk. Everyone was waiting for them and they werent on every lot. Where u live is 1 percent of all the dealers in the US

Doesn't matter, dealers transfer cars all the time. I've been in and around the automotive world since I was a teenager, worked for several dealers that covered many makes. Always been that way. If you have a dealer in Oklahoma with 3 cars they cannot sell, and another dealer in New Jersey looking for one, guess what? The car gets moved. They have these things now called computers that keep track of dealer inventory all over the country. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the people at 'cruzetalk' are not as computer savvy as the rest of us.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I stopped behind a Cruze diesel with New York plates at a traffic light on Route 15 in Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. It was the only the second one I've seen on the road. At first I thought it was black, but it had a nice purplish reflection when the sun hit it. I think it's a nice looking car ... not as conservative as the Jetta ... and it's offered in more interesting colors. I haven't owned a GM car since 1974, but I might consider it.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Doesn't matter, dealers transfer cars all the time. I've been in and around the automotive world since I was a teenager, worked for several dealers that covered many makes. Always been that way. If you have a dealer in Oklahoma with 3 cars they cannot sell, and another dealer in New Jersey looking for one, guess what? The car gets moved. They have these things now called computers that keep track of dealer inventory all over the country. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the people at 'cruzetalk' are not as computer savvy as the rest of us.
I needed to smile and laugh about something, thankyou......

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Coworker of mine just bought a Cruze diesel today. First and foremost, he is a chevy guy. Second, he used to work for a Chevy dealership, so he got a great deal on the car.

He has a family relative who has one, and she has been very impressed with her fuel mileage in her Cruze diesel. They drive almost the same distance, coming from Flint to the metro Detroit area daily. It's around 80 miles each way I believe. His relative is averaging about 52mpg on her Cruise.

I'll keep you all posted on how my buddy does with this, he gets it Friday.

ranger1

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
"They drive almost the same distance, coming from Flint to the metro Detroit area daily. It's around 80 miles each way I believe. His relative is averaging about 52mpg on her Cruise."

Interesting, I've been monitoring their forums and haven't found any mention of turbo or hpfp failures at all. They just seem to drive them without much trouble at all.

I also notice that GM has avoided Bosch's HPFP and fuel systems completely on the 2017 MY upcoming small pickup truck. They went with Delphi according to online articles. Isn't that who VW went with for the European 3 cylinder TDI, Polo or something?

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
The Cruze diesel is a massive disappointment. It has the classic trying-too-hard cheesy lux interior that I thought GM was moving away from, and on top of that interior space is way too small. Also the engine and transmission seem weak and confused about their respective jobs at best... the engine reminded me of an old diesel Mercedes without the smoke, very rough, loud, and unresponsive.

At over $27k on the sticker, the only things test driving the Cruze did for me was give me a good laugh and make me feel great about getting a Golf TDI S for $23k.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I got to ride in the coworkers Unicorn today. The Diesel Cruze. Other than just being a slightly smaller interior sized car, I liked it. Sounds good, runs good, and he's gone 700 miles on a tank of fuel already...so much more fuel efficient than his previous car. His commute is 90 miles each way...so this car will pay for itself quickly.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Saw a TV spot yesterday and Chevy is already pushing the longer distance with the Cruze since it has a larger fuel tank than the 2015 Jetta. Also offering up to $2500 rebate or consumer cash.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I drove a diesel Cruze last week when I was car shopping. I bought a CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL with 24K miles instead. They were almost the same price. As it turns out,the CPO VW has a better warranty and I have lot more confidence in the VW dealer and VW diesels than the GM dealer and a diesel engine new to the US. The Cruze was an LTZ, no manual available. The Passat drives better and is more comfortable IMHO. Build quality was OK. Where I live in Texas, diesel pickup's are a dime a dozen and there a few diesel cars. There are more now than when I had my '76 Mercedes 240D. The only place I could find diesel then was at the farmers CO-OP and truck stops. The 240D died peacefully when the unibody started to rot and the engine had a main bearing fail at about 240K miles in 2000. No turbo made slow going in UT, MT, ID and NV where I lived. Get in the right lane, turn on the 4 ways and let the trucks pass you.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Saw a TV spot yesterday and Chevy is already pushing the longer distance with the Cruze since it has a larger fuel tank than the 2015 Jetta. Also offering up to $2500 rebate or consumer cash.
Ads also mentioned that the Cruze now has "free" service for 24/24,000 compared to the VW service of 12/12,000