Mileage To Date-How Many Months-Major Issues?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I know it is early, but......Just wondering what kind of mileage Passat owners have rolled up so far, and if there have been any issues of significance...........I'm at 6000 miles/2months old Saturday, no major issues.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Picked up 10/13/11. 2,700 miles nothing major. Was in the shop for a CEL. Was related to the coolant temp gauge wiring system.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
The only "issue" I've had is wondering how to get 18.5 gallons of fuel in this car....maybe there is 18.5 gal and the fuel gauge is off? Otherwise car has been great, absolutely love it.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
All is well here. 5,000+ miles and not one issue

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Picked up 9/27, 11,900 miles to date. Only real issue was the right rear window would go down and not back up. Dealer reproduced it but when I took it back a month later to get it fixed the window worked fine, and has ever since.

plagasse3

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium DSG Opera Red
Picked ours up Nov 21st. Opera Red SEL Premium. It was ordered by someone else who couldn't take delivery. Lucky me! Absolutely love the TDI and DSG (no hills around here). Almost 3800 miles, average about 39 mpg "consumption". Had check engine light twice, dealer cleared the first one, and the second one caused the exhaust temp sensor to be replaced. No further problems.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Took delivery Sept 30. 15,560 as of today. No major issues other than fuel tank indicator and headlight adjustment.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Initial problem with bluetooth module that was fixed by the dealer. I've experienced no other problems, and am very happy with the purchase. Took delivery on 12-8, and have driven 1,200 miles TDI SEL Platinum Gray/Black. My daily commute which is 50 miles, 80% highway has shown 48 or 49 mpg.It's a very comfortable and smooth riding car.:)

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Initial problem with bluetooth module that was fixed by the dealer. I've experienced no other problems, and am very happy with the purchase. Took delivery on 12-8, and have driven 1,200 miles TDI SEL Platinum Gray/Black. My daily commute which is 50 miles, 80% highway has shown 48 or 49 mpg.It's a very comfortable and smooth riding car.:)
What average speed do you travel on the highway?

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Got ours 2 weeks ago. Grey TDI SE 6MT very nice. just over 1000 miles and on 2nd tank. Avg 45 mpg with combined driving. Loving it and no problems so far. Although the eura thing scars me. they said the tank only last 5000 miles and if you run out it will not restart. Is there a warning light. I will probably keep some extra in the trunk just in case.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Don't worry about the "urea" thing. Forget what your salesman told you, read your manual. Better yet, get over to, or phone, Marten's VW in Bethesda...Ask for Larry in service. He'll set you straight.
I'm on the road, not in my 2012. I believe there is at least 1k miles warning before urea runs out...so no need to "keep some extra in the trunk just in case." And it's very cheap, easily replenished. NOTHING to worry about.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Got ours 2 weeks ago. Grey TDI SE 6MT very nice. just over 1000 miles and on 2nd tank. Avg 45 mpg with combined driving. Loving it and no problems so far. Although the eura thing scars me. they said the tank only last 5000 miles and if you run out it will not restart. Is there a warning light. I will probably keep some extra in the trunk just in case.
The tank lasts up to 15500 miles. Quote from VW site:

"DI CLEAN DIESEL: We know what you’re thinking. Diesel used to be smelly, loud and nasty, and as a result got a bad rap in the states thanks to big trucks and long-ago mistakes by automakers. It’s just not true anymore, so – get over it. Today’s diesel is clean, thanks to the fuel and engine technology that VW uses to help improve efficiency and boost performance.† Fact is, TDI Clean Diesel models are arguably better and more efficient than their gasoline-powered siblings. There’s also the feel-good angle: the 2012 VW Passat TDI meets BIN5/LEV2 emissions standards, courtesy of a computer-controlled injection system that sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber. At high pressure, this helps to promote more complete combustion. In addition, Passat TDI models use a special catalyst and urea-injection system that reduces NOx emissions by up to 95 percent. Filled by a 4.9 gallon tank located inside the trunk, the injection system delivers a range of approximately 15,500 miles. Service is handled at your local VW dealership and is covered by the Passat model’s no-charge Carefree Maintenance Program. ††"

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Took delivery Sept 30. 15,560 as of today. No major issues other than fuel tank indicator and headlight adjustment.
Well, you beat me a bit in the miles driven (Sept 27, 11,900). Sounds like we both have a bit of a daily commute. Mine is from Breezewood PA (south central PA on the turnpike) to Rockville MD (Wash DC suburb).

Don't worry about the urea. I've already done a 10,000 mile service and never ran out. If you check the manual the warning light will come on some time before it is empty and you should have several hundred miles to get it refilled.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Also keep in mind DEF has an expiration date, so storing a bottle may be wasteful spending. Besides, if the warning comes on prior to scheduled service, then simply stop by the dealer and complain that consumption is either in excess of owners manual or someone forgot to top off.

Also, the cost per mile is estimated HERE. "$0.0012 - $0.0014".

My recommendation is to just scout around for a cheap local source.

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Great, Thanks. I could of swore that the salesmen said 5000 miles on the urea and 10,000 on the oil change. Maybe i mis heard or he mis spoke. Either way the 15,000 miles is a lot better. also being able to buy at a Walmart is nice to know being they are everywhere. When the warranty is out that is. Thanks for the help. This site has been very helpful even prior to my purchase. This site may be the reason for buying the TDI over the the other diesel cars. ( BMW ) I knew I wanted a diesel, just didn't know which one.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
This site also saved you 10s of thousands of dollars as well, and will save you more as time goes on...

poppytdi

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG , 2012 Passat SE DSG,1996 Dodge 3500,2005 GMC envoy XL
10,600 miles with no problems mostly highway miles 47.5 average mpg from new. 3 months old last Saturday.
At 10,000 mile service the dealer said it took 1 bottle of DEF to fill the tank.
1 bottle is only 1.89 liter.

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
3 days old 655 miles no issues. just did 200 miles this afternoon up I-26 and accross I-40 and got 49.6mpg.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
3 days old 655 miles no issues. just did 200 miles this afternoon up I-26 and accross I-40 and got 49.6mpg.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........
you are kidding right? you are on the how long have you had it and how any issues thread.....655 miles......
you made me laugh sooooo hard...
gee I have 655 miles and NO problems....WHAT an accomplishment.!

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........
you are kidding right? you are on the how long have you had it and how any issues thread.....655 miles......
well considering i had a transmission go out on the '12 jetta TDI @ 800 miles it is a good thing. up to a little over 1100 now, still no issues. did my first full fill up today and averaged 48.7 mpg. initally it was a bit lower but had to account for my speedo being off by 2mph @ 65mph. i expect to be over 4k by the end of january and 45k at the end of 2012. gonna love my .55 cents per mile write off come tax season.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
well considering i had a transmission go out on the '12 jetta TDI @ 800 miles it is a good thing. up to a little over 1100 now, still no issues. did my first full fill up today and averaged 48.7 mpg. initally it was a bit lower but had to account for my speedo being off by 2mph @ 65mph. i expect to be over 4k by the end of january and 45k at the end of 2012. gonna love my .55 cents per mile write off come tax season.
oh well it was good for laugh

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10,600 miles with no problems mostly highway miles 47.5 average mpg from new. 3 months old last Saturday.
At 10,000 mile service the dealer said it took 1 bottle of DEF to fill the tank.
1 bottle is only 1.89 liter.
Would you mind checking your figures again? It doesn't make sense that you only used 1.89 liters of DEP in 10k miles, when VW says 5 gallons per 12-15k miles.

My dealer sells 2.5 GALLON bottles of DEF ($13.50). I never actually SAW the bottle, so I'm assuming the quantity is correct.

If a DEF tank holds approx 5 gallons, your car should have used well more than 1/2 of the tank...more than a 2.5 gallon bottle.

Am I figuring this incorrectly, or did your dealer fill with a 2.5 gallon bottle? Thanks for checking.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For those of you that don't know tdi90hp, this is his form of humor.:D

tdi90hp: You won't make any friends here with useless posts, tinged with demeaning humor. You're a valuable asset here, don't blow it by insulting/annoying people, and by posting w/o any useful information.:rolleyes:

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI

tdi90hp: You won't make any friends here with useless posts, tinged with demeaning humor. You're a valuable asset here, don't blow it by insulting/annoying people, and by posting w/o any useful information.:rolleyes:

i took no offence just wasnt sure if TDI90 knew of my previous issues with VW and why it was an accomplishment for me. i think TDI and i are on good terms, are in my book anyways. Cheers TDI90 and thanks Tdiatlast for tring to calm any unsetteled waters.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
Some problems can be expected to show up quickly, so, i is a valid check point.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI

it was not meant to be demeaning>>>>just was not hoping for 655 mile challenges....I dont think he was insulted....I just had a good laugh....thanks for your comments tdiatlast