2002 Jetta 1.9 ALH engine stalled, wont run, intake full of oil.

super vw

Hey guys/ gals.

So I have a interesting stall/ no run problem with my 2002 Jetta TDI Automatic trans (1.9 ALH).
Specs on the engine (recent complete rebuild, about 8,000 miles ago)
-stock engine management.
-Stock injection pump (11mm auto pump) with larger nozzles.
-Borg werner S7 turbo (similar to a VNT-17)
...everything else is stock.

Here's the story,
I was driving along on the hwy at 75 mph for a duration of about 45 minutes from cold start. So the car was up to temp and humming along like normal... then all of a sudden, I lost engine power. There was no major noises, NO check engine light, and no obvious mechanical damage, also no loss of power to engine management.

I had the car towed back home... further investigation begins...

Items that I have check and confirmed to be in/look to be in good order:

-Engine oil level ( at lower line, so it had consumed a bit).

-Turbo shaft looks/feels like it did new, no seen damage.

-Engine timing (crankshaft, camshaft, and injection pump all line up at TDC-1 like it was when i built the motor, so no belt skips...ect).

-Camshaft/ lifters look great (remember recent rebuilt)

-Compression on all cyl are at 395psi across the board. (at an elevation of 3200 feet above sea level).

-Fuel supply, (filter flow fuel, injectors are bleed out).

-Engine management power, all good.

-Fuel supply cut out solenoid works like a champ.

So, things that are NOT looking correct/ not in order and weird:

-Intercooler full of oil (some what normal, but this is alot!)

- oil blowback on MAF

-Oil soaked intake tube (fron MAF to turbo air inlet)

-Oil soaked turbo intake hose from turbo to intercooler.

-Turbo compressor side/snail full of oil.

THE ENGINE WILL RUN AT IDLE ONLY WHEN:

-Disconnect the intake/intercooler hose from intake manifold/egr inlet.

Other items noted when the engine is running at idle include:

- Large amounts of crankcase air pressure coming from the PCV valve on top of the valve cover (mixed with lots of oil vapor, that is very dense, causing pooling and condensing of oil).
If you disconnect it, it will purge alot of air/oil...even after cleaning it out.

So... I think this is why it died, the oil is pooling in the intake causing an air blockage and no run scenario.... Why/How?
Could there be mechanical damage or internal issues making this happen?
Just need some more brains on this question.

What is normal amounts of Crank case pressure/ air flow?

Thanks for any insight!
Jonathan Rall

super vw

Update:

After much research (hours!) I turned my attention back to the turbo, why...

well a few things,
First being lots of crank case air flow and oil coming from the CCV.
Also my research on turbo failure (also in particular to the new S7 turbo) indicated that its possible for the turbine shaft to break, causing an exhaust leak, to leak exhaust pressure into the crankcase through the oil lines on the turbo.....
So since I only checked out the compressor side of the turbo (and it felt, looked and SPINS by hand nicely and with compressed air blown at it), I thought it would be also critical to inspect the exhaust/ turbine side for issues.

AND, it's broke!!!!!!!!!!

The wheel/turbine looks intact, not all botched up.... but jammed into the housing. So the shaft is broke somewhere in the middle.

The S7 turbo only has roughly 8,000 miles since it was installed onto a fresh motor, the cars been sitting since June of this year, waiting for me to have time to diagnose/ fix it.

(new oil lines, new/ reconditioned everything!)
The turbo was primed before initial fire up and install, nothing was out of wack... so kinda odd this thing failed.... it ran like a freight train, was a blast to drive. no warning signs.

Guess it's time to call up Kerma TDI and see what the scoop is on warranty and this S7 turbo being a problem?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Upon reading your first post, my first thought was that the turbo has failed. Now that I have read your second post, I am quite sure that your turbo has failed.