The 400k mile club!

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Just turned 480,000 miles this morning on the way to work. Last month was note worthy, when I turned 477,800 miles I completed my round trip from Earth to the Moon. Now thats a road trip!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'm catching you, only about 10K behind.....

My next picture is 434,960 miles (700,000 Km) and I usually take them every 5K anyway. I change the car badges every 50K, so sometime this October I'll be changing them again.

Last edited:

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Just turned over 495,000 miles this weekend, it feel good! trying to reach 500,000 miles by 12 July 2013, the 10 year anniversary!

RichmondKYtdi

this thread saddens me.... however the 2003 jetta will live on in the 5 speed swap happening in 2 weeks and a back up engine should i ever need it.....

Some of you were asking... had a run in with freezing rain a few months back: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=378941

My wife's 2001 auto is on its last legs so i took her car (she now only drive a couple of miles a day) as my project and she got the new-er Subaru. Bruce (paramedick) and Eric came and stripped it down to the bone before hauling it off to the junkyard. The 2001 is gonna be pretty sweet, new tires, Koni reds, 5 speed swap, and the injectors from my old car will be making this one into a nice workhorse for years to come!

Last edited by a moderator:

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Well the old auto tranny is running strong. I drive 190 miles a day to work and back. I bought it with 145,000 on it in 2008. I do as much work on it as I can. Like all fluid changes, all suspension work, control arms,ball joints,inner and outer tie rods and all brakes. I do drive to Kentucky to let Bruce and Eric do the timing belt and advise me on what else needs to be done or what will need to be done soon.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Well the old auto tranny is running strong. I drive 190 miles a day to work and back. I bought it with 145,000 on it in 2008. I do as much work on it as I can. Like all fluid changes, all suspension work, control arms,ball joints,inner and outer tie rods and all brakes. I do drive to Kentucky to let Bruce and Eric do the timing belt and advise me on what else needs to be done or what will need to be done soon.
I'm not sure what's more impressive, your high mileage VW or the fact you do a 190 mile commute a day! How long does that take you?

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
It takes 1hour and half each way.So a total of 3 hours a day. Its not that bad. At least I'm moving. I have been in DC where it takes 3hours to 20 miles.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
It takes 1hour and half each way.So a total of 3 hours a day. Its not that bad. At least I'm moving. I have been in DC where it takes 3hours to 20 miles.
Not bad at all, I have a 40 mile round trip commute which takes 1hr 10 min in the morning and 1hr 30 min in the evening.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Any updates?? New members to this elite club? Afraid I won't ever get there.....

montyypythonss

TDI
2002 jetta
I bought the car used with 120k miles in 2006, Items/mods since I bought it are..3rd transmission auto to manual this time @165k, front struts and shocks twice, front and rear suspension bushings once @300k. 3 timing belt jobs. one door lock assy, heater blower fan, 2 sets of emergency brake cables. one maf sensor. One set of oe axles (tore up 2 sets of napa china axles fast) actually i should have never changed the axles when i had the front bushings replaced, i thought i was doing some preventive maintenance but only had problems with the aftermarket junk. went back with a used set of oe axles. PP502 nozzles, Kerma tune, race pipe, egr heater removal, 3 in downpipe and 3 in open exhaust, ventectomy, Aluminum skid plate. .658 5th gear, valeo clutch (should have bought better clutch), had 17/22 turbo for a few months but the exhaust impeller broke a blade, put the original stock turbo back on, :(. New colt 2 cam and lifters at 365k, but after changing the oe cam still looked good and only one lifter had noticeable wear, have arp head studs but have not installed them yet. Change oil every 10k miles, use shell rotella t full synth 5w-40. I do miss the turbo but it needed bigger nozzles but my clutch was starting to slip as temps dropped this winter. I will probably leave stock turbo on until after i have to change my clutch. It has been a very reliable car, it was a good decision to get this car. It is still in good shape, some paint chips and the right front fender has some rust. and the front end still looks decent considering how many critters it has killed. averages 47 mpg.

KAT90

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Hit 400K today in my 1999.5 Jetta & still running strong.

Parts replaced over the years:
E-brake cables x4
Windshield wiper motor
Cat
MAFS
Timing belts x5
Clutch @ 375K with life still left on it
Brakes x4
Shift linkage
Suspension refresh @ 350K
Starter & battery x3

Things that broke that pissed me off:
Arm rest hinge
Glove box hinge
Antenna base
Head light bulbs every 6mo.

Things that haven't needed fixing (never done)
Intake removal & clean
Any injection parts
Turbo
Alternator & parts
Cooler
Muffler
Any internals of engine.

Dead in the water x4 (towed to shop)
Water pump bearing - lost all coolant
Intake in fuel tank plugged - holes drilled
Shift linkage - stuck in 3rd
Frozen fuel filter - bad fuel

Over all it's been good! going for 500K

Last edited:

TDInewb069

TDI
99.5 TDI jetta 5 speed
My 99.5 Jetta has just hit 414,768 all original except turbo was replaced and of course typical maintence first TDI and im loving it so far.

KYTDIGUY

TDI
05 Jetta TDI auto 300k plus
I'm currently at 418k on my 05 MKIV. Still running strong. The car is bone stock. Only things that has been done is TB jobs, 3 lift pumps and 1 set of front wheel bearings. Brakes of course and a blower motor.
Never replaced the cam as with most BEW Engines and I use the Castrol 5-30 from the dealer (cause it's cheaper) . Change the oil between 10k-20k religiously. Lol. And still only uses a quart every 8k miles. Same as it did at 136k when I bought it.
I am starting to wonder how long the triptronic auto tranny will last though. Takes it a few minutes to go into first when it's cold out.
I read all the time about all the issues with these cars and all the preventative maintenance such as oil analysis and such. My theory is VW builds these cars to be DRIVEN not pussyfooted around.
I run 130 miles a day and most is with the cruise on 80. Get 40 mpg day in and day out. I've work on VWS since the rabbits appeared in 75 and have owned my fair share of both gassers and diesels and all have served me well. Even when the rabbits would break in half. I'd weld them up and keep on going.
This is just my take on things.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I hit 400k on my 97 B4 today-I bought it in November 2011 from member Mcgink w/ 312k on it. 2 timing belts(326k & 386k),IP reseal,and numerous other little things in the 3+ years,as with any B4;)......

BCFP

TDI
2009 JSW
Any 2009 or newer up on this board yet? About five months away and think I am currently winning. So far have not come across any. Car is still pulling strong and have no doubt that 500k is possible.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
We want glamour shots when you cross the line! :)

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
2000 Golf, today has 423,000 on, should have looked for this thread earlier.

Original engine and 5 speed trans, with a few go fast mods,

Kirk

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
The thing I always seem to ask is did you know you were going to go this far? Is this your first diesel?