"snow screen" "pre-screen" air filter update

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
\"snow screen\" \"pre-screen\" air filter update

Just stopped by the dealer on the way home. To see if they would replace my broken cup holder under warranty even though I was at 40k miles.

Sure enough they did.

Williams Auto World is awesome. Service is incredible. These guys are good.

Anyway back to topic.

Jeff Fowler (sp) is the service manager there, a while ago I brought him in some printouts of my pre-screen clogged.

He was very interested in seeing them. They had no idea what they were or that they were there. He said he would pass them on to the VW folks.

Well I figured I would check up see if I could get any information.

Jeff, said right away, thanks for that information. Even before I could specifically say what it was that I had asked about before.

He said that they have come accross this many times since I dropped the photos off. It sounds like checking this has become a regular servicing.

Turns out it is on ALL turbocharged VW engines. On the 1.8Ts it trips a check engine code when it is only 30% clogged. It might not turn the light on but the code remains in memory. Cleaning the screen prevented the code from coming back.

All those 1.8 guys smart enough to have Williams service their cars owe me one.

Anyway, VW still hasn't gotten back to them yet about the "official" purpose of the thing. I think just to protect the turbo and well Jeff thought so too.

But he made it sound like if you put a K&N in there or other stronger than OEM paper element you should be fine.

Anyway. I will post an update or official response if I ever hear of one from VWoA.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Re: \"snow screen\" \"pre-screen\" air filter update

Williams Autoworld is pretty nice, I live down in Jackson and it was a toss up between them and Howard Cooper, but since I work in Ypsi/Brooklyn Area along, US 12, I went to Howard Cooper, for better pricing anyway, but WAW does have great service...
P

-InfoSec Boy

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

How long does it take to get an appointment for warranty work?

The dealer near me took 2 weeks to get an appointment. The dealer didn't like my telephone review of them and called to complain. I said that had said that everyone was polite. I just said that they need to hire more mechanics - as 2 weeks for an appointment for a car that can't start is excessive. He said the wait is now over a month and that they try but just can not hire any qualified mechanics - they can't be found. We didn't talk about the 6 working days it took the dealer to do a 2 hour job. Though we did discuss that the mechanic forgot to enable the cruise control on the new ECU. It seems that these peoples' careers live or die based on these after-service-interviews.

I suppose it is nice that someone out there has a grade A+ excellent dealer to visit.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The wait for service can be a week or so sometimes. They are pretty good with emergency kinda stuff. And they generally right on with the length of time it takes to finish a repair.

Waiting time last time I looked, was just over 1 week, but they appologized and said that they have been swamped lately.

But for regular servicing where it is possible to plan ahead they are veyr accomodating and pleasant.

All of their service writers are great. I've been dealing with Milt lately, good guy.

When I was scheduling my service I would have to make it for the Monday night service. They are open until 9pm and so I would set up an appointment for 5 or 6pm usually 1 to 2 weeks in advance.

Hondo

Veteran Member

GeWilli
Did they put in the new style cup holder?

You are right the people down at Williams are an awesome bunch. They sold me new take off steel wheels tonight for $17.20 each, what a hell of a price. Hubcaps for only $25.00 each. They are a good honest group of people.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

nope I tried but Mac went adn got the same part number not the new one. And Milt changed the face plate himself. And for free, all at 42,000 miles (13 months after I bought it).

Great price on the steel wheels, you got your snow tires yet?

Hondo

Veteran Member

I ordered the tires yesterday, from place in TC, MI.

When I go in for my 10k service(3-4 weeks) I am going to see how much $$ to upgrade to the new style cup holder. I hate the old style cup holder. I am going through withdrawal symptoms form no coke in the bottle.
Hondo

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

VWparts.com has the new cup holders

Part number:
1J0 858 601 for the old style
1J0 858 601B for the new style

Old one lists for more money. I think it was about $50.