Any tips on picking up car from dealership?

jsanders

I am picking up my new Golf GL TDI on Wednesday. This is my first new VW and the stealership has been less than impressive so far and has exhibited a marked willingness to stretch the truth. Does anyone have any suggestions about the kind of inspection of the car I should make before accepting it? I have a print out of what dealer prep should consist of. My guess is that if the monkees at the stealership do half of what is expected I will be lucky. Is there anything in particular they are likely to miss? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver
My experience with Volkswagen sales departments is that they'll give the minimal service possible to make you happy. Note the last part: to make you happy. They will cut corners if they think the customer won't notice, but not otherwise. Volkswagen of America appears to be rather strict in how it deals with its dealers: when they call you to ask how the dealership did with various aspects of the sale, they'll ask you to rank the dealership between 1 and 5; anything but a 5 is a "failing" rank. Less-than-perfect scores means fewer perks from VWoA, such as car allocations. If there's something you're not happy with, let the salesperson know, because chances are your satisfaction with the sale could directly impact their profit from the sale. If they don't care, talk with the manager. Buying a new car isn't cheap, and when dropping five digits on something one should be treated with according respect. (Likewise, you won't get the same service as though you were buying a Mercedes..)

If you're really not happy, chances are there's another dealer nearby who'd be happy to have your business, even for the exact same car.

That said, I think the most important thing on delivery is to talk with the service folks, and see how much they know about caring for the TDI engine. The sales folks will never touch your car again, but if the service is out of touch... Possible things to ask about are the timing belt, oil, Relay 109, and if you really think they're out to lunch, spark plugs. Don't let them touch the car if they think it has spark plugs.

$0.02.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the club. My TDI makes up for all the problems with the dealers I've ever dealt with; I think yours might do the same

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Kyanoti ]

JettaKnight

TDI
Jetta wagon, 02, silver
My 2 cents worth... Before I take delivery, I tell the salesperson to have a set of dealer plates on the car when I come to pick it up. I want to take a test drive BEFORE I own the car. There is a much greater chance that the dealer will expeditiously correct a problem if you still owe him money. Once you sign for the car, get in line with everyone else!!! Be sure to check for paint runs, faulty lights and all of the equipment on the test drive. If you find any problems, tell the dealer you will sign off on the car AFTER it is fixed. I would let the salesman know you will be doing this test drive in advance, as they just might be a little more thorough on their vehicle inspection. GOOD LUCK!!!