I just threw up a little (DSG flywheels.. maybe)

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Side note:
AMAZON.com is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!
Amazon Garage is telling me the wrong parts. lol LuK DMF 126 which is the right part but Amazon says it doesnt fit, but the LuK DMF 123 does. I wish they would fix this. DMF126 is the correct part for DSG from all the info I can find. Further reading I found that its hard to find the clutch and/or flywheel on some sites because the DSG technically is NOT an automatic tranny so parts are found in the manual tranny part of the sites that sell them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The DMF123 is the flywheel for a MKVI six-speed manual, not DSG as you've noted. And the LUK flywheel is OE in VW DSGs. Manuals also use Sachs flywheels.

Clutches in your DSG are an entirely different animal: It's a clutch pack (two clutches) that are inside the transmission and operate wet, or in the fluid. They shed material in use which is why the fluid change interval is important to follow. They also don't wear out often.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The only place I've heard the DSG referred to as a manual trans. is in some VW literature. It is called an automatic 99% of the time. This sort of situation is exactly why a lot of garages don't like the customers to supply their own parts. It's confusing, and often the wrong or substandard parts show up.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
CaptainAF:

Please listen to the guys here and buy the flywheel and bolt kit from a vendor here. Also, do the DSG fluid and filter change. You will be happy.

These vendors here have your back if there is a problem.That's worth a lot.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
CaptainAF:

Please listen to the guys here and buy the flywheel and bolt kit from a vendor here. Also, do the DSG fluid and filter change. You will be happy.

These vendors here have your back if there is a problem.That's worth a lot.
Well you finally talked me into it. Ordering parts as soon as my motorcycle is sold. Found a good shop that will let me do payment. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced since Im in that are??

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Shop I found is still going to replace the flywheel for 750 so that is good deal. One shop told me to take it to a tranny shop and not a Vw/Audi shop as they were much more pricey but I wasn’t sure they would know what dsg was given most of there clients were big ass diesel truck. And yes I know it’s a tranny shop so they should not but they were a little confused so I ran. Just notice today that the noise stops if I’m in drive and only rattles in park. So weird!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Personally, I look for those mechanics working on the big ass diesels versus a VW shop...at least I know they're actually experienced with diesels! If I have any concerns about their knowledge base, I watch over their shoulder :)

There are some pros in this thread and they might disagree with me, but I don't think any special knowledge regarding the DSG is required for this repair (other than purchasing the correct parts). That said, they might have been confused as to what you were asking them to do since this isn't really a transmission issue and maybe you were describing it was one (or maybe they don't handle repairs outside of "transmissions"; a flywheel is part of the engine). Probably a poor analogy, but imagine taking your car into a brake shop and inquiring about axle repairs. If they aren't a general shop, their expertise is going to drop off sharply once you move past the back of the wheel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The flywheel may have stopped rattling because it's locked up. May make it difficult to remove.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
It rattle when in park just doesn’t seem to rattle while driving but if it’s cold and I let off the throttle is will rattle once.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Ooh boy it looked like something that came from the bottom of the sea. Just a brown metal circle. Some bolts snapped off. It was a Jersey fleet car. Field like one solid piece.