Low Heat Output--foam loss

ncbound44

TDI
1991 VW diesel, 2002 Jetta TDI
Hello! Over the last 1-2 years I have had lovely foam blowing out my AC and heat--from little specs that get in my eye to giant chunks that get stuck in the air flaps/grates (sorry, not sure what they are called) that I fish out with a screw driver so I can still get air.

In the end of January I noticed I was not getting full heat--full air output pouring into the car but not HOT. Luckily, I live in NC so this really only mattered for about 2 additional days this year, but now that it is warmer and easier to take a look at things I would like to figure out how to fix this before next winter--the mount of heat is not enough to keep my windshield clear on freezing day on the highway.

I assume that the foam loss has something to do with the heat loss? I am not sure how to triage this--I have never dealt with a heat issue. Of course I checked that my coolant was up to level, and my AC does fully work.

Thanks for any help!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The foam is/has come off your blend doors. Do a search on this site and you tube and you'll find out what you need to do.

ncbound44

TDI
The foam is/has come off your blend doors. Do a search on this site and you tube and you'll find out what you need to do.
thanks! I had searched variations of foam and heat ETC. Hopefully I will have better luck with blend doors!

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Same problem here, but I have heated seats which make even a cold car feel warm. Besides even with missing foam, I find my car gets plenty toasty after the engine’s Cold Temp light goes off. Oftentimes I’ll start with full heat, and then turn it back to 1/3rd heat on the dial

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
BTW this is an example of VW cheapness. My Honda Civic at 2 years older and 200,000 miles never had foam fall out the vents

ncbound44

TDI
Same problem here, but I have heated seats which make even a cold car feel warm. Besides even with missing foam, I find my car gets plenty toasty after the engine’s Cold Temp light goes off. Oftentimes I’ll start with full heat, and then turn it back to 1/3rd heat on the dial

Lucky!!! I did the first two years but this winter in the 40s I don’t get hot with it on full and when i was in western ny where i grew up stand it was 10 out.... i used blankets and shivered in the car even with my heated seats

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, I was gonna say, the solution to your problem is in the sticky at the top of this very forum!