MK1 Jetta Coupe ALH TDI Syncro Swap

Cavicchi

TDI
84 Jetta Coupe Turbo Diesel
I'm pretty bad at build threads and keeping updates but since I've already completed most of this and have been driving the car this summer I think I can handle posting my project.
I've owned the MK1 for the last 7 years and has gone from a 1.6td to a stock ALH TDI and now to a ALH TDI with a GT2256v and Syncro AWD.
This is one of the earliest pics I have of it, was pretty rough when I got it

After fixing pretty much everything to do with the body and driving it as a 1.6TD I felt the car needed a bit more go so I started collecting TDI parts.

At first I was going to swap in all MK4 wiring and computer but after looking up other build threads and performance upgrades for the AHU TDI I figured out I could simply swap connectors on the AHU harness and get a chip to run the VNT turbo. Malone made the tune I used which was basically to run a stock AHU with a VNT turbo but without a maf or egr. It still amazes me how similar AHU and ALH are.

Cavicchi

TDI
I drove it with a 1.9AAZ Transmission for a summer, I really should have had a better clutch but ended up swapping in a MK3 TDI Trans that winter.
Last year I had a lot of issues, mainly 2 failed turbo's and one run away engine that put a rod through the block. It was my fault to trust turbo's that I didn't know the history on but it's in the past now.

I did end up putting in another engine and drove it for the rest of the year but I still felt the car needed more go, but whats the point of more go if you'll just spin?
Comparison of the VNT15 to the GT2256, I used a cast VW turbo manifold from a 1.6td and a friend fabbed up and adapter to match the up the turbo to the manifold but I cant find a picture of it.

To fit in the Syncro drivetrain I welded in a B3 Passat tunnel, raised up the steering rack 2 inches, shortened the middle section of the Passat driveshaft and shortened the passenger side axel shaft. I also had to make my own mounts for the rear passat beam, not exactly a direct swap.

Cavicchi

TDI
As for the engine I ended up building another as I dropped a valve. It's a stock ALH bottom end with head studs, 11mm pump, .216 nozzles, no EGR or MAF, ALH N75, custom intake,FMIC, VR/G60 clutch/flywheel, Stock G60 Syncro trans and a GT2256v turbo running 30lbs. The car works great and I haven't had any issues except for destroying a rear diff and my clutch slips sometimes under boost.

And this is how it currently sits, It's really fun to drive and I love the fact I can just jump in it and go for a drive without an issue

Now I'm likely forgetting something but if you have any questions please just ask.

Cavicchi

TDI

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Oh man. Got excited when I saw your location being Canada and no front plate... Then saw the NS plate ;) Awesome project!

GEE-BEE

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 AAZ
Battery in the trunk ?
Iam ruuning a 1/0 cable to a bmw remote jumper term, using the battery mount area for a ram-air airbox filter location and the a small box for the phillips hid's componets
Mine is still in paint , complete paint, no doors or engine ( mk1 coupe )
Why no breather catch can on valve cover..
GB

Cavicchi

TDI
Yeah I have the battery moved to the trunk, my intercooler piping kinda took up the space. As for the lack of catch can, it wasn't something I thought about

Cavicchi

TDI
I dont have an intake on it, i just run a screen on the turbo. It's not ideal but I dont daily the car and since the sunroof hates rain i dont drive it when it rains either. It will take some magic to get a nice intake mounted up since there is so much stuff in a little engine bay.