has anyone used the cheap ebay nozzles?

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Brent,

Good luck. You're going to be hard pressed to get people to not give you their "opinions." Many of these same people troll in the Alt. Fuels section and tell people that they are idiots for using Veg Oil. Maybe they are, but they're in the Alt. Fuels section. You're asking a legitimate question. I have a set of Bosio nozzles that came from Kerma that haven't been installed, but I'm always open minded about other products. I say that it's your car, so go for it. Just be warned that anytime you put in non-oem parts you're exposing yourself. I've even seen OEM parts break. Go figure. My car was made of OEM parts when it was new.

I might buy a set for the hell of it, and give them a fair shake. Honestly, more ground would be paved on these subjects if there was less "told you so" attitude. People might be more willing to try new products and report back on a failure if they weren't going to be blasted so hard. We would all benefit, and there would be more knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

Are you looking at the ones from Prothe? I've purchased a few items from him for my MK1, and a few other pieces such as grill inserts and gasket sets with good results. His shipping is slow, and his service is lacking, but I've only had one incident, and I got a refund in 3 days.

China is a BIG place that produces a vast array of products. Chances are good that your computer and your expensive TV was made in China. Normally, if there is good QC (that is typically not Chinese) the product leaving the facility is good.

Last edited:

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
I think everyone's opinion is relevant to some degree, though personal experience does help (does blowing up an Inj pump count becuase of cheap replica parts from the same guy who sells the nozzles!?)

I am not sure what the OP really wants. It's been clear for the last two pages that 95% of people think it's risking a healthy engine, with a couple of people who feel they've done allright with the cheap nozzles.

It's time to make a decision, forget what people think now, its up to you - is it worth the risk? Why would most people pay more, willingly? Are the nozzles likely to fail?

I think everything has been answered in some shape or form, personally I won't be risking it again.

Whatever you chose I don't wish any car harm, but I hope any lesson's learnt are learnt quickly and without too much damage.

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
I see 2 chinese nozzle fail in 3 years on many many set of low cost nozzle install on many cars.
-First is not seal correctly, engine run ok but difficule to start after more than 8 hour stop, does not pass leak test on poptester, no engine damage.
-Last have 1 hole blocked, engine run badly, bad spray pattern on poptester, no engine damage.
My car have 473,000km and run low cost nozzle without trouble since 365,000km.
Never see and never heard nozzle with break tip, never heard nozzle are break engine but i see and heard story of engine blow by heavy right foot on bad tune car.
Right nozzle size with right setup and chip is the key of healty and trouble free engine!
If chinese nozzle cost only 10 or 20% lower than brand nozzle, i never touche chinese part, but with 2, 3 or 4 time lower price, it's not the same game.

Dieseleux

Last edited:

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
OK this seems to be a crowd of non readers, If I ask hey how do you like bridgestone potenza tires. If you have only ran generals I wouldn't want your opinion :D
Bosio are not stock nozzles either how did anyone ever talk you into them :)

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
OK this seems to be a crowd of non readers, If I ask hey how do you like bridgestone potenza tires. If you have only ran generals I wouldn't want your opinion :D
Always listen to advice, regardless of whether or not you take it.

That said, this is a community forum, people will post their two cents, it's not really fair to ask them not to. I do think all the information you need has already arrived, just need yourself to do a little reading, digging perhaps.

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
LOL I can play devils advocate by myself, that is my point. I think it is totally fair to ask to not have a negitive comments posted unless the poster has/had/have had personal experience with the product in question. I just was trying to keep the cheerleaders off the field :D

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
heads-up Brent: very few of the members on this site could be called "cheerleaders" by your implied definition. I've learned very quickly that the guys on this site DEFINITELY know what the hell they're talking about, and would be happy to help if asked nicely. Even if they haven't personally tried a SPECIFIC product, they know enough to tell you to stay away.

Personally, I'm trying "cheap ebay nozzles" anyway. It's enough of a price difference that it's worth it for me to give it a shot. But I came to my conclusion without being an ass.

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
I have asked nicely :) I have laughed many times. A cheerleader is someone who thinks only one product will work and all others fail, I understand there could be a difference in quality between a 330.00 set of nozzles and an 80.00 set. I am simply asking what the experience is of people who have used them! I have nicely asked that if someone has not used them to not mess up my thread with useless junk. How nice do I have to ask? at what point should I get angry with people who have a problem with reading comprehension? :) Not sure which way I am going to go yet.

MOD's you can delete this whole thread. I am done with it :)

Last edited:

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a forum, so you'l probably not get what you want, regardless of how nice you ask. It's a community, if someone has something to say, they can.

As long as they are constructive, then there's nothing wrong with that, if it isn't what you want then ignore it. You can't ask people to shut up if they are trying to help you.

As for removing the thread - I doubt it - this thread sure would help a lot of new people to the forum save their 80 bucks imo.

Yes, yes, I know perfectly well that there are people out there so stubborn and intent on buying their cheap chinese nozzles, without understanding it's the manufacturing process, materials and precision that makes them so expensive in the first place. These people would probably use cheap pistons if they could! :eek: I just don't understand why they seem to hang out asking on a forum, if the forum's advice is not going to have any effect on their choices, rather than just going out and blowing up their car/engine/components in the first place without all the fuss.

Last edited:

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Brent, be proud, kid, you're the first person to make my ignore list. This is an open forum, any thread can have any response that is not against forum rules. You have received a few requests of the type you requested, I included links to several more, and the only posts you comment on are those you don't like. Before you comment on reading comprehension, or anything else, you might want to look in the mirror. Or start you own forum.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It's true that most folks who contributed to this thread have not used cheap eBay nozzles themselves -- they were warned against them, bought good nozzles instead, and now are warning others to avoid a big mistake.

The main point is not that every nozzle made in China is bad, but that you cannot count on getting four good ones if you order them. You might get two good ones, or three good ones, or you might luck out and get four good ones. Do you feel lucky?

The other thing, and Dieseleux hinted at it, is that one bad nozzle can destroy your engine. Okay, not literally, but a nozzle that fails can cause a melted piston, and if this happens you might as well start over with a new block/pistons/rods, possibly reusing the head.

Bosch nozzles, Bosio nozzles... I don't know if we've ever had a report of one of them failing. OE Bosch nozzles may be seriously worn after 200k or 300k miles, but they aren't failing catastrophically. The cheap nozzles will never last 200k miles, probably will not last 100k miles, and could fail catastrophically almost any time after installation.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
In last 2005/early 2006, member tsterkel from Texas had a melted piston problem. We never did find out the true cause, but he was probably running OE Bosch nozzles. (I suspect bad biodiesel, but he deleted many of his posts before leaving the TDI Club.)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=12183

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
TornadoRed said:
(snip)Bosch nozzles, Bosio nozzles... I don't know if we've ever had a report of one of them failing. OE Bosch nozzles may be seriously worn after 200k or 300k miles, but they aren't failing catastrophically. The cheap nozzles will never last 200k miles, probably will not last 100k miles, and could fail catastrophically almost any time after installation.
I had a failed Bosio R520 nozzle straight out of the box brand new as confirmed by Drivbiwire ;) No nozzle manufacturer is perfect. I say try the cheap ones if you want, but get them spray tested and check pop pressures first...

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
Souzafone said:
Brent, be proud, kid, you're the first person to make my ignore list. This is an open forum, any thread can have any response that is not against forum rules. You have received a few requests of the type you requested, I included links to several more, and the only posts you comment on are those you don't like. Before you comment on reading comprehension, or anything else, you might want to look in the mirror. Or start you own forum.
You missed the point, I am qualified and no the problems that can happen if an injector fails, I understand there could be engine damage,etc etc. I do not know if this has proven to be the case with all the nozzles made in China. I can only figure that out if the people that have had china nozzles post in here, I want to hear what they have to say about them, good or bad. :)
Cheers from a 43 year old kid :)

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Yes that is the place :) It wasn't tuned there though.. as you say they do mustangs only. Let me tell you I felt pretty wierd bringing in a yellow diesel beetle to their dyno with all these GT 500 2009/2010 mustangs! They were VERY surprised with the torque :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI'ed said:
They were VERY surprised with the torque :D
And maybe surprised when you told them of your total lack of interest in the air/fuel ratio.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Yes, I am learning :) I should have had them log that... I realized afterward that for the sake of my tuner I should have had them record that. Honestly I was surprised they were set to go with the diesel engine.. I think it was the first time they used some of the equipment and it was my first dyno experience. I'll know for next time.

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
TDI'ed said:
Yes, I am learning :) I should have had them log that... I realized afterward that for the sake of my tuner I should have had them record that. Honestly I was surprised they were set to go with the diesel engine.. I think it was the first time they used some of the equipment and it was my first dyno experience. I'll know for next time.
first dyno is always fun, sometimes can be hard on the nerves though!
sent me back in time, I raced there 98 and 99, I used to live in Michigan so not far away.

Jukums

TDI
1.9 TDI 1Z TDR.lv
Has anyone tried to run cheap ebay, aliexpress PD nozzles ?
Like DSLA150P1043 with bigger hole than standard ?