02 ALH TDI installed in a 1986 Syncro Transporter

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Figured I would post the latest project we are completing for a customer of ours.

Vehicle: 1986 Syncro Transporter
Engine: Rebuilt 2002 ALH TDI "Automatic"

The engine has been modified slightly with 0.216mm injectors and we have increased the boost to about 1.15 bar. The injector pump is an 11mm as it is an automatic. The exhuast is a 2.5" 6" diameter mendel bent u-pipe with a straight through 4" 'muffler'
- over all it is quiet, but you can hear that ultra-cool turbo spooling up sound quite well!
This setup should be good for more than 275Nm / 200ft.lbs of torque - just what a 1600kg (empty) Syncro needs!

As many of you know, all North American 2000 and later VWs have an immobilzer. This install has the original 2002 instrument cluster located under the front seat along with the key, which the owner can remove should he want to immobilize the vehicle.

Top View - detailing the general layout of the engine bay.

Top Left View - showing the intercooler installation, control valves, vacuum resivior etc.

Top Right View - showing the ECU and realy box location and the air box that is behind the water tank.

Intercooler setup - stock ALH intercooler with a 20cm radiator fan behind it that comes on with the engine.

Skid plate modifications - we lengthened the skid plate slightly so that a shroud could be built for the belt. Notice there is no AC compressor or PS pump on this install!

Engine Control Unit and Relay Box

N18 / N75 / N239 Configuration

Since these pictures were taken we have installed an external air cooled oil cooler. We have also installed thermocouples on the air intake system, exhaust system and have installed temperature and pressure senders on the oil system. The engine's vital stats are be monitored by a multi-function digital gauge located under the differential lock control panel.

The only thing that would make this swap better is if I would have removed that black undercoating prior to the installation.
The addition of the plastic cover for the engine would be a bonus - too bad we didn't get it.

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
David your alh kit is looking better and better! I especially like how you used the wbx cross member to extend the skid! Looks like you got everything low enough to use the stock deck lid.

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
David your alh kit is looking better and better! I especially like how you used the wbx cross member to extend the skid! Looks like you got everything low enough to use the stock deck lid.
As this is a Transporter it fits like a glove as the bed is higher than a normal van. You can see in the photos where the 'original' van engine cover would be. If this was mounted in a van a 3" 'bump' in the engine cover would be needed to provide enough clearance for the engine to move around. Small price to pay for mounting such an awesome engine!

Hasenwerk

TDI
Re: 02 ALH TDI installed in a 1986 Syncro Transpor

WOW top work!
Hey thanks a lot!
LOTS of hours spent on this project and others around here too.
Installing the engine is simple - the time consumer is trying to make it all neat, tidy and logical so if there is ever a need for servicing, someone other than me can figure it out.

Hasenwerk

TDI

I wanna see the pictures too, not those stupid red "x's". Nothing ever works right here.
Seems to view OK here on my computers! Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E

Looks good David. Lets see a couple pics of the rest of the doka