Stage 3.5 - Should I use a SMF or DMF? Problems?

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Looking for feedback for anyone with the malone stage 3.5 tune with CR170 turbo. I'm replacing my clutch and want feedback from those who have replaced the clutch with an aftermarket stage 2+ clutch set, including flywheel. I recently ordered the stage 2 SBC with a single mass flywheel. After trolling around on multiple forums I've read about many having synchro issues soon after swapping to a SMF. These posts are from 2014/15. Has anyone recently done the kit and had the same issues?

Has anyone else kept the DMF (replacing it with a new one) and had any issues or have they been reliable? I was thinking about getting a sachs DMF as I've heard they hold up better, but I can't find them anywhere. I'm considering putting the OE Luk DMF back in (new one).

Thank you for any help you guys can give me.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I remember reading on here a long time ago, of those going for a smf to reduce shutter under load

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I read the same, but came across a lot of people that went with an SMF and ended up shearing the tabs off of their syncros due to vibration. I ended up ordering the Stage 2 kit from SBC with the DMF. Hopefully it will hold up!

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Yeah sorry my contribution to your question was limited haha. No first hand experienced, just what I read on here.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk