Odd behavior

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Ok so 313k on the clock. Just replaced timing belt and new mounts all around. Also replaced all control arm bushings and inner/outer tie rod ends. Now I’m not sure if replacing these parts showed something I’ve never had before but here goes. Car beers to left upon hard acceleration and steering wheel shifts to the right. It restores after letting off throttle.

Also now have clunk below in center of car after getting on throttle.

Any ideas.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You have to center the engine mounts when you install them, did you do that? Also, if you have a clunking, something is loose, and probably the root cause of your steering issue. Crawl under there and start inspecting things. Could be lower A arm bushings shot.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Did you get an alignment after swapping out the tie rods?

The clunk sounds like dogbone engine mount.

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Yes got an alignment. As far as centering the mounts not sure what you mean by that. This is my 2nd belt job and didn’t have it after the first one.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
What bushings did you go with, stock or TT?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
Check your lower engine 'dogbone' mount I had the same problem. It was really worn.

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Stock bushings and stock everything. Replaced dog one as well. The weird thing is the steering wheel shift occurred after I replaced the trans mount on drivers side. I thought it may have been a bad new mount so sent it back and got one from idparts. Same deal. Not sure why replacing the trans mount would cause this? I assumed it just made another issue worse.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
check all your suspension bolts for torque
I managed to leave the vertical LCA bolts on mine finger tight once

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Bump for help
Read this a couple times, can only conclude something is loose or broken.
If you got an alignment and the steering did this, why wouldn't you take it back? Big part of an alignment is checking all that stuff.
If you must pursue on your own, put it way up in the air and use a pry bar or something to check for slop. YouTube may have something (not a TDI thing).

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Hmmmm

I never cease to amaze myself when it comes to breaking things. So it was the upper control arm bolt that was loose. I also realigned the mounts and they were off center.

Go to fire up for a test drive and NO START. Vagcom shows no issues. Cracked injector lines and no fuel when cranking. How in the hell did this happen? I found a thread on vagcom checking rpm and injection quantities and the log is perfect. But yet no pouring of fuel out the lines. Not sure how vagcom measures quantity when nothing is going through the pump but here I am. Advice?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Check the prime of the pump.

And what do you mean upper control arm bolt? You have a strut front end with only lower control arm

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
does the ever present bubble move in the clear fuel line?

if so, you've got fuel, check the shutoff solenoid on top of the pump head, you can remove the rubber plunger in there so long as you've still got the anti shudder valve working

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
I meant forward control arm bolt. The bolt that is horizontal.

Now that I think of it I was wiggling the fuel filter to get the inter cooler pipe out for easier access to the mount.
I’ll check the prime and go from there. Thanks

homermandy

TDI
2002 GLS 5spd TDI
Success

Opened injector 4 line at engine and pulled fuel through with suction. Cracked a few injectors and started right up. Not sure how I lost prime but anyhow I am good to go. I appreciate all the help. Will report back after test drive.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
109 realy, wiggle it when cranking. very typical. connections wear out and now loss