www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old April 20th, 2019, 12:59   #1
FarmerboyTdi

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default 06 Jetta Dsg question

Hi, have had 06 Jetta Dsg for about 5 yrs. but just joined here with questions. Car has 205k mi. Dmf is bad but it also felt like slipping clutch in low gears. Is that a symptom also or do I have clutches going also? Changed oil on trans first and didnít look bad. A little dark with 35k on oil but not burnt. Donít really want to tear it down further just to look but neither want to reinstall trans and still be slipping. Any thoughts?
FarmerboyTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2019, 13:08   #2
joep1234
Veteran Member

Did you change the filter also? When you scanned the car, were there any codes. The clutch pack is relatively easy to replace while you have it out. I think Kerma has a complete kit that comes in at around $800+/-. The DMF I used on my car was a Lux and it cost me $325 with free shipping. If you are doing the work yourself, you should be in it for around $1200. What fluid did you use when you changed? LiquiMoly is a little better than the VW fluid for a DSG trans. You also need the fill from the top tool and a scanner because you have to get the trans up to temp before you close it off. The filter is on the top and looks like a small roll of toilet paper inside the housing.
Old April 20th, 2019, 13:54   #3
FarmerboyTdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep1234 View Post
Did you change the filter also? When you scanned the car, were there any codes. The clutch pack is relatively easy to replace while you have it out. I think Kerma has a complete kit that comes in at around $800+/-. The DMF I used on my car was a Lux and it cost me $325 with free shipping. If you are doing the work yourself, you should be in it for around $1200. What fluid did you use when you changed? LiquiMoly is a little better than the VW fluid for a DSG trans. You also need the fill from the top tool and a scanner because you have to get the trans up to temp before you close it off. The filter is on the top and looks like a small roll of toilet paper inside the housing.
No codes only noise. Yes changed filter too. Decided to look further and took the outside cover off clutches. The large snap ring that holds the clutch assembly together was off and rattling around. Put it back in but it seems loose like it lost its tension.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:33   #4
joep1234
Veteran Member

I think Kerma has a clutch service pack with everything you need to change it out for $800. While you are in there it's not a bad idea. BTW did you use the DSG fluid in it? It stinks if you used the right one. VW spec or LubriMoly. Doesn't have an oil smell, more like some nasty chemicals.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:50   #5
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
What fluid did you use when you changed? LiquiMoly is a little better than the VW fluid for a DSG trans.
Why is LiquiMoly a little bit better?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:25   #6
joep1234
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Why is LiquiMoly a little bit better?
That came from a recommendation from one of the trusted mechanics listed here on this site. He is a Porsche, Audi, VW and BMW shop that is great at what they do. My son and I both have used it in our cars.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 13:54   #7
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
That came from a recommendation from one of the trusted mechanics listed here on this site. He is a Porsche, Audi, VW and BMW shop that is great at what they do. My son and I both have used it in our cars.
OK, recommended not necessarily better. Less expensive yes. Nothing empirical info. I have always purchased by price and availability/free shipping etc. I have used Febi-Bilstein, LiquiMolly, and Ravenol and cannot tell any difference in drivability. Rowe is next.
They all carry the OEM Part # G052182A2.

Last edited by MichaelB; April 23rd, 2019 at 22:24.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 04:17   #8
FarmerboyTdi

Quote:
I think Kerma has a clutch service pack with everything you need to change it out for $800. While you are in there it's not a bad idea. BTW did you use the DSG fluid in it? It stinks if you used the right one. VW spec or LubriMoly. Doesn't have an oil smell, more like some nasty chemicals.
Talked to KermaTDI and they have nothing but upgrade clutches for $1,200. Idparts is the only one I could find who sell the clutch pack.
Old April 24th, 2019, 05:04   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The M-unit monitors clutch slippage, it would flag a DTC if it was deemed excessive, which would trigger a MIL request. I have only seen this once, and I am pretty sure that car had gotten the wrong ATF once which likely ruined the clutch material.
Old April 28th, 2019, 15:33   #10
FarmerboyTdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The M-unit monitors clutch slippage, it would flag a DTC if it was deemed excessive, which would trigger a MIL request. I have only seen this once, and I am pretty sure that car had gotten the wrong ATF once which likely ruined the clutch material.
I donít remember any cel but then by the noise it was making I didnít look that hard. Knew it had a problem. The clutches look fine(tho probably worn some from 200k mi. No warping or discoloring of the steels. If I could have found the snap ring by itself I would have just put it back together. Oh well, now Iíll have new clutches too.