B5.5 4mo BHW swap

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Brian, what all do you have? The more I think about this, the more I think the manual conversion route is the way to go. I wanted to keep it an automatic because I wanted to keep the cost down and work with what I have, and since the current slushbox is in perfect working order and has been well maintained, I thought it best to just stay the course with it.
But if it is just going to be too much of a headache to make the gas trans work with the diesel.... and I am certainly not about to try and source a Euro diesel auto trans :rolleyes: I may as well just go manual.
Tall gearing is not a priority, as this vehicle is not likely to be going on many long distance Interstate trips anyways.
Funny you responded today about those parts since I am in Maryland Heights right now :p

I have the trans, rear diff with suspension, axles, and drive shaft. I don't have the shifter or pedals or fuel tank. I was thinking you could drop in this trans and rear diff with your current axles and drive shaft, but you would still need the 3rd pedal, master and slave, and clutch. Looking at previous posts perhaps it wouldn't work in your wagon.

If you want to try it, come pick the parts up any time from Richard's shop. I have a great spare geared BHW I haven't decided what to do with, been looking for a 4mo wagon myself to drop it in but I have too many cars at present :)

I pulled the parts from Mike's A4 (kctdi) last year, paid him a few hundred bux. If you want the manual A4 parts just come grab them, I owe you at least that for your kindness over the years ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well I admit I have had so much going lately I have not devoted much more time into researching my transmission solution for this project, but this morning the car seemed to make the decision to pursue a manual conversion much more agreeable:

Argh... :rolleyes:

I have been driving this car a lot lately since my Golf is getting some much needed TLC and I sold my gasser Beetle and my other gasser Passat. Hopefully it will hold out a little longer (intermittent problem now) until I can get this injection pump back on the Golf. Just arrived yesterday from DFIS. :D

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
05 VW Passat, 12 VW Touareg TDI
Didn't you get this all finished? I'm looking at a 4mo wagon to stick the BHW from my very beat up sedan w/ bad input speed sensor.

Am I able to marry the BHW to the 5HP19FLA or no?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I gave up for now and did some freshening/modifying of the AWM engine instead. Could never get a straight answer on a manual transmission and rear diff from a Euro car.

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
Damn. Didn't VWZips do a conversion? Are all the TDI 4mos manual swaps?

My 05 Passat TDI has a transmission input speed sensor code that keeps kicking me into limp. It has a pretty beat up body, so I keep looking at fun ways to use the BHW just because it's a great motor and it's already had the harmonic shaft delete.

I guess I'll keep hammering away at all 5 projects. Eventually something will work out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I did. I used the stock rear 3.88 rear diff and sourced a 5 speed manual quattro from Frans with same final drive. VARY hard to find. You can get a 6 speed but will need the drive shaft and matching rear diff

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
So is the final word that we can't work the BHW to the 5HP19FLA? Or that it's just gotten to a level where the information isn't available so making the leap is questionable? Because I'll just slap these together and go for broke. At worst I buy a beautiful 04 4mo Passat wagon. It's in great shape aside from the snapped timing.

Unlike most gearheads I prefer an automatic unless it's a purpose-built vehicle. I'm also not interested in dumping $1500-$3000 into a manual when the body of my 05 is thrashed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk