www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 17th, 2019, 09:57   #1
Voluble

Default How important is the Air intake cover that goes behind the driver side headlight?

Hey all, how important is that cover that goes behind the driver side headlight? I was browsing IDparts last night when I came across it, and the description said it sealed off that area for the factory cold air intake. I've never taken a hard look at the intake routing and just assumed the engine pulled air from the outside (as in just a solid tube that goes outside)? I guess I'm just a little fuzzy on how this cover plays a role in the intake system. I removed the cover when I did a projector retrofit to make room for the ballast and all that.

Here's the cover for reference:

https://www.idparts.com/air-intake-h...a4-p-1812.html

I still have the cover, I'd just have to rearrange some stuff to get it back on.

Thanks
Voluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:00   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That is part of the ducting that allows outside (cooler) air into the engine. So yeah, it should be there.
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:03   #3
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

The actual air intake is in the grille, just beside the left headlamp assembly. The cover you reference directs the air from the outside, around the back of the headlamp assembly, then into the rest of the plumbing that leads to the air cleaner box.

By leaving the cover off, you allow much of the air to be mixed with warm underhood air. That might be a slight advantage in the dead of winter, while being a disadvantage in summer heat, and your outside climate directs the intensity of the advantage or disadvantage.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 10:04   #4
Voluble

Copy that, thank you guys for the info. I'll get it back on
Voluble is offline   Reply With Quote