VW VW T5 2.5 with hybrid turbo now at 287hp/ 620nm.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
My van probably won't go back on the dyno anytime soon unless I fit my other injectors but if it does I am more than happy to get a dyno run done on both 4F and 6F to see the difference.
Ryan is right regarding the shoot out modes giving different readings but 5-10% difference seems extreme but I guess could be the case in some instances.
I found a tuner that had posted up his dyno charts on another site as he was asked the same question so did about 8 runs back to back in different shoot out modes to show the differences, I won't bother loading the graphs up but the figures are as follows:-
Standard ramp rate 422hp
Shoot out:-
4 426hp
4F 422hp
6 426hp
6F 433hp
6F with air temp raised 35 degs 468hp
8 437hp
8F 442hp
So yes there was a difference of 11hp/ aprox 2.5% on this vehicle when comparing 4F and 6F.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I'll post tomorrow shoot 4, 6 and 8 from a car we have on there

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
I'll post tomorrow shoot 4, 6 and 8 from a car we have on there
That would be interesting to see, just looked through all my old graphs and the only run I have on 4F was when JKM dyno'd it as a T5 130 with just an upsolute remap and it made 160.
When Sanspeed mapped my original hybrid they first flashed it back to standard and my van made 125hp on 6F.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Just an update really as the last time I was on here a tuner was pointing out my dyno runs were way out because we were testing in 6F and not 4F.
Last time my van was on the dyno we tested on both and my new hybrid, plus 50's and water meth made 300hp diesel and 335hp/665nm on water meth on 6F and only about 12hp less on 4F!.
However did my first sprint yesterday at Santapod and with road tyres, 3/4 tank of fuel and a 2000kg vehicle with the aerodynamic of a brick I still managed a 15.22 @97mph!.
Thanks to Bobby Singh for mapping and TDI Turbo's Verwood for my 174 hybrid turbo.

reconditioned title

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
Well done Martin.
Decent terminal speed for a van.
With a better start i think you should hit 15s dead.
Decent gains for a bolt on hybrid.

Last edited:

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Well done Martin.
Decent terminal speed for a van.
With a better start i think you should hit 15s dead.
Decent gains for a build on hybrid.
Also made a rookie mistake and turned up with 3/4 tank of fuel so could probably nock another 60-80kg off as it's got the bigger factory tank fitted.
For my first ever run at pod and on a 174 hybrid turbo I am well happy with the times so far.
Just weighing up if it's worth trying that other manifold and a 2260vk/or ball raced vk or just leave it alone.

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
You have decent spool and makes decent top end power.
If the unit goes then maybe consider a 2260vk
From Chris’s experiences we already know the safe limit without taking out a second mortgage.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
You have decent spool and makes decent top end power.
If the unit goes then maybe consider a 2260vk
From Chris’s experiences we already know the safe limit without taking out a second mortgage.
Second morgage yes.... I'm going to throw another £7k at the engine to see if I can hold it together but yes you are right "I have found the upper limit" at the moment.

With the larger pistons and a reduced cr I should be able to hold the head down with the new bolts I've ordered. Also new turbo and manifold setup this time to improve the spool.
The only thing that concerns me now is the reliability of the gear train as I've gone through another set of gears on the aux side. It looks like something has gone through the gears to make them jump unless I lost a tooth off a gear and just happened to run through. I should have been up there as well but it wasn't to be this time :(