The "What did you do to your B5 passat today" thread...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Drove it to Florida:

Actually been down here a week now. Car behaved itself without issue. Last time I came down was last year in the B4:

Both pics are in the parking lot of one of my favourite local eateries, Steak N Shake.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual

Fit and installed my yak rack after getting some good used "low rider" feet. Then took the car out to the trailhead for a ride on ol' Bessie! ?

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
I did this shortly after getting the car, as well as recoding the rear hatch (wagon) to unlock with the other doors. Best mod ever next to the 6spd.
Ok, how does one do this? I did the other stuff but don't know how to do this part. Thanks! :D

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I finished my 5 speed swap on my B5.5 wagon Saturday. Monday I drove it from KC to Champaign, IL. Today I drove from Champaign to Peoria to Monmouth to Springfield to St. Louis and back to Champaign. These are all business miles related to my day job. 1056 miles so far this week. I'll be returning to KC tomorrow, for a 1500 mile total round trip. All checked out, road tested, and ready for the wife to put into daily service.

Car has performed flawlessly, and I have achieved 47.05 mpg so far calculated from miles vs. gallons put in. I just wish the seats were as comfy as my Jetta seats.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I finished my 5 speed swap on my B5.5 wagon Saturday. Monday I drove it from KC to Champaign, IL. Today I drove from Champaign to Peoria to Monmouth to Springfield to St. Louis and back to Champaign. These are all business miles related to my day job. 1056 miles so far this week. I'll be returning to KC tomorrow, for a 1500 mile total round trip. All checked out, road tested, and ready for the wife to put into daily service.

Car has performed flawlessly, and I have achieved 47.05 mpg so far calculated from miles vs. gallons put in. I just wish the seats were as comfy as my Jetta seats.
Wooo.. 47mpg! I must be hitting too many headwinds... :(

What kinds speeds/driving for that mileage?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Wooo.. 47mpg! I must be hitting too many headwinds... :(

What kinds speeds/driving for that mileage?
70 mph is the speed limit all across Missouri and Illinois on the interstates. I only drive the speed limit wherever I am. I had a 40 mph tail wind on that first tank heading east :)

My trip back yesterday netted 42 mpg, same roads, but a lighter head wind this time.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Bled brakes at all four corners (mistakenly allowed the master reservoir to get low and let air into the system in December), and finally got (I think) all of the air out of the brakes.

Adjusted torsion from -2.5 to -.5 not seeing the same uptick in fuel economy this spring. Going to leave that setting for a few tanks to see if there is a difference from the last month or so.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I am also going to try and adjust my torsion value soon. Interesting that when I scan my car with VCDS the far right box in group 4 measuring block says "syncro angle" not "torsion value". Some googling tells me these are the same thing. Is this because I have an AVF engine possibly?

Last edited:

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Replaced the antenna base gasket and antenna.
Next up, replace the temperature sensor to see if that will get rid of an intermittent P0118.
Looks like an all-day job...
d

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Yesterday I swapped my bad GMR for a good DUK 5 speed manual in my green sedan. I decided to use a longer pilot bearing on this conversion.

Started stripping the parts (shifter/axles/pedals etc.) from my V6 parts car at 9 am. Finished with parts car at 10:45 am and started on the swap. Finished mechanicals and started the car at 7 pm :)

I still need to swap cruise pins in ECU and get a stage 2/5 speed swap tune but it runs and drives very well :D

Here's the info on my pilot bearing:

HK1522 Needle Bearing 15x21x22
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IFQIXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The picture below shows the new VW 15mm pilot vs the 21mm pilot I used.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I like that - surprised I never found one like that with the extra reach...

Quality look good? Where was the country of origin?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I like that - surprised I never found one like that with the extra reach...

Quality look good? Where was the country of origin?
Excellent quality - it is an SKF / INA but unsure of country of origin. I was looking at them from FAG also, which has a factory 2 hours south of me in Joplin, MO.

Next time I am at the shop, I'll look at one. I bought an extras hoping I will come across more B5.5's with bad transmissions :)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Also, Installed (finally, been sitting on them since last year) Koni FSD's and Eibach Pro-kit springs on all four corners:
Before:

After:

Stiffer than stock, but not overly so. Handles like my Jetta with sport suspension used to. Much better than the 300k worn stock suspension it replaced.

Also got the cruise working by re-routing the kickdown wire from the automatic and re-purposed it as a clutch cut-out switch wire for the 6spd.

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Windex - looks good. I didn't know replacing shocks and springs would remove 2 spokes from each wheel and make them look so much better :p

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
Installed two new charge hoses. Small elbow by the flapper and the turbo to crossover hose. Also did all the remaining O-rings in the charge system. Elbow was split and turbo to crossover hose was damaged. EXPENSIVE!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
More like what did I do in the last month. I installed all new shocks and related bits. All new control arms. I had one tie rod end that was near death's door. The alignment guy I now use did an awesome job as the car drives better than it did with the old alignment place I used. I talked to some local Audi owners and they pointed me to the guy I now use. Today I took the car for an Italian tuneup on Interstate 43. Man the traffic just flew today. Had the speedo at 75-80 just to keep up with traffic.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Helped my brother change the linkage in his freshly swapped 6 speed car. Had too many parts laying around and got old verses new linkage swapped around.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Yes very much a pain - easier by far if the transmission is out of the car - like in a 6spd swap.
I have been slowly collecting parts for a swap. I think I have about everything except the backup light plug and a transmission from Frans! With 240,000 on to odometer I figure it's a matter of time before the auto dies.

I about to go check my lift pump... don't hear it running when I turn the key and start times are far longer than normal..:confused:
Hopefully its the 373 relay since I just filled up the other day. !
d

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I have been slowly collecting parts for a swap. I think I have about everything except the backup light plug and a transmission from Frans! With 240,000 on to odometer I figure it's a matter of time before the auto dies.

I about to go check my lift pump... don't hear it running when I turn the key and start times are far longer than normal..:confused:
Hopefully its the 373 relay since I just filled up the other day. !
d
This may be helpful:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4681371&highlight=373+relay#post4681371

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Thanks John Boy!
I just confirmed its the pump. 12v to the pump when I turn the key. Connected it to my battery charger and it just buzzes. Reversed the polarity and it sounded like it was running... not sure if it was pumping running backwards though. Tried the correct polarity and just got the buzz.:mad:
$300 and about 3 week delivery from the dealers:eek:. Found a new one on Epay for $200... Should be here next week.
Probably a CRAP item...:(

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Thanks John Boy!
I just confirmed its the pump. 12v to the pump when I turn the key. Connected it to my battery charger and it just buzzes. Reversed the polarity and it sounded like it was running... not sure if it was pumping running backwards though. Tried the correct polarity and just got the buzz.:mad:
$300 and about 3 week delivery from the dealers:eek:. Found a new one on Epay for $200... Should be here next week.
Probably a CRAP item...:(
I used one of these: http://www.defender-tech.com/category_s/40.htm

Last time I just replaced the pump - opened up the old casing and installed the new pump. About a year on it now and going strong.

On my BEW I bought the whole pump with housing. About three or four years on that one now and going strong.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I used one of these: http://www.defender-tech.com/category_s/40.htm

Last time I just replaced the pump - opened up the old casing and installed the new pump. About a year on it now and going strong.

On my BEW I bought the whole pump with housing. About three or four years on that one now and going strong.
I wonder if that will fit for a BHW? The assembly part number is 3BO 919 050 B
d