How to replace truck latch on 03 Jetta?

pamike

TDI
Trying to buy one
I cannot find a thread that explains how to get to the trunk latch - any help? My latch will not stay closed, the finger will not come back over to "lock" the latch. I have been able to find instructions for everything I have done to this car and they have been very helpful - thought I might as well get this sites' input once again.

thanks in advance,
Mike

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
did mine

Mike,

I did mine on my 04 Jetta. The only regret I had is that I did not take any pictures and post a 'how to' here.

You have to remove the felt on the deck lid to get to this. It is held in by a bunch of phillips head screws that look like deck screws. Oh, you also have to remove the inside release (glow in the dark handle) by unhooking the cable from behind it which you can see once you loosen some of the screws.

I actually fixed mine twice...the first time I found a spring that had come loose down inside the latch, but then later the latch assembly just broke and I had to replace it $35 at the dealer, IIRC.

BTW, did you try moving the latch manually with a small pointed object? You may want to mess with this first because I heard somewhere that if it gets out of position that it has to be 'reset' manually in order to latch the next time....may be worth a quick look before pulling the liner off the inside of the deck lid. I hope this helps you out.