My Injector Project and What I’ve Learned

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Sorry I've been out of internet range until now. The Bosch nozzles I THINK retailed for 77$ each. I was told a bosch dealer pays about $55 each for them (but i'm not a Bosch dealer so i don't know if its true or not) but I managed to buy them for $60ish after shipping.

nicklockard said:
Please share that raw data with me by PM, as the cat's already out of the bag. Good luck getting her back in ;) Ain't gonna happen. :p Don't tease us like this. Show me the money!(numbers)

Also please share with me the total cost of the bosch nozzles so I can add them to the comparo. With the data already given above by you, what we have here is a performance-price envelope that, essentially, you forced yourself to compete within. I'll get it all in one place and put them on a nice bar chart set, 3-D surface plot, or radar plots. I personally DO think there's room for another vendor if QC is a high concern ;)

*Note: I got the prices for nozzles on kermatdi.com about 1.5 hours ago and the higher of the prices for the chinese ebay nozzles at ebay.com about 1.5 hrs ago too.

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Peter,
Obviously nothing is 100% perfect and I don't know where the magic line of accepatable vs. not is. Certain vehicles may be more tolerant than others. I know a duramax tries to adjust it for idle fueling and can do it to a degree but variation seems to be more harmful when you aren't talking about idle fueling (ie- WOT) because its commanding teh same from all of them.

I've just always though the closer the better and that seems to be how the domestic injector manufacturers think too.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
Saw that, but you said that's your arbitrary rule. I have no idea whether or not 10% is fine or catastrophic.

ndamico

TDI
Hi,

To do this you would need an injector stand capable of actually firing the injector as if it were in the car and have it measure the flow. Since the unit injectors aren't used by any people I know with test equipment I don't know where to get them flowed. Common Rail is entirely different. I know several places that could flow those :eek:

dieselpower04 said:
First off great work!! I am with Phil on this. I was asking in another thread about having Race783 nozzles on PD100 injectors. I, as well as other PD owners, would love to know.

How/could you be able to test this? I know you said you didn't test with the injectors themselves, but maybe some who is knowledgeable in the art of injector/nozzle assembly could do this and hand off to you to test?

I'd even be willing to donate beer to the cause!!:D

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Questions:

How well do the nozzles seal during the timed -10 bar/10 second leak check after extrude honing? Do realize that the nozzle and needle are a "Matched Set" having been lapped to provide the seal at the contact point at the perimeter of the needle tip (evidenced by the circular patterns in the photos). The same finish is achieved with valve lapping (on a bigger scale) which provides the grooving required to achieve the seal.

How does extrude honing insure that the holes retain their uniformity in flow without fanning or streaming? The media cannot be controlled in respect to erosion rate thru each individual hole evidenced by the following SEM generated picture:

It's almost 10 years since a few TDI owners attempted extrude honing on a TDI with horrible results.

On bigger hole nozzles where you are dealing with much larger holes due to the size of the engine this may work, just call me skeptical that this is not ruining a nozzle that previously was able to meet all the critical tests required for a nozzle to perform in the TDI engine.

DB

ndamico

TDI
Charlie,

You outdid yourself this time. Yes there's a conspiracy out there against you. Gimmie a break.:rolleyes: Everything in the world is bad if it isn't Bosio because you say it must be. Uhm ok sorry for going to all this trouble.

Oh yeah and all of us truck guys don't know a damn thing about injectors. We might as well sell our trucks and get bicycles. Would that make you feel better?

You stated many neat things about how Bosio makes their nozzles. Personally I don't care how they do it as long as it works. As i said I can buy them for a lot less than Bosch and would have been more than happy to use them as a starting point but i didn't think they quite held up to the Bosch units.

You're entitled to you opinion and I see you trying to paint this thread as a conspiracy theory against you. I put all the data out there for people to read. Anyone is free to send them off to the place of their choosing to have them tested. If our testing was so backwoods-flawed then why did it always show the Bosch nozzles flowed the same?

So you're also saying that I made up (I'm guessing photoshopped) the picture of the 2 sprint 520's (the one with the slag and the one with the EDM burn mark)? Wow i guess this is a fully blow conspiracy theory:rolleyes:

I never expected to convince you Charlie. I didn't write this for you. I wrote this for everyone out there who might learn something from this Otherwise they're just drinking the grape kool-aid..

For the record I only wrote this because of your slandering what I'm doing over the phone as well as publicly in the tdiclub chat forum. I haven't listed a thing for sale or tried to sell anything in this thread. I find it ironic that you wrote "savaging me personally" when you were the one (unless there is another "kerminator" on the chat) who started throwing rocks to begin with. People do log that stuff regularly on the chat ya know?

I did this entire project because I wanted to see for myself what really existed in the market and potentially make something better for myself. hell I can't even buy my new Bosch nozzles for what you sell Bosio's for so i don't see why you are so afraid of this. You also see to think you know everything I'm doing and how I'm doing it. Make all the assumptions you like but that doesn't make you right.

To everyone else reading this thread- I'm sorry I replied in kind but having seen so many people led to the water trough over the years i just couldn't bite my tongue on this one.

Oh and I still don't think Bosio nozzles are crap, at least not the 5-hole ones. They have proven themselves over time which nobody can deny. I just think I can fill a void for some of the people who aren't so price-conscious.

In the end, the results are what they are. If you don't like it then perhaps you shouldn't read it. I know at least some people have found this valuable.

KERMA said:
So, I guess I was right, that other 275 post thread is all about bashing kerma and bosio to set the stage for nicktane. Let me explain the meaning of the word "crude".

How did you measure to 4 significant figures accurately?

the bosio edm is purpose-built for injector nozzle manufacturing, and has the ability to change the size of the hole profile during the edm drilling. in other words, the inner diameter is larger than the outer diameter in some cases, and there's a chamfer added to the inner surface at the flow entry, just like the Bosch.

The flow numbers listed above for the Bosio are all wrong. Every Bosio nozzle is flowed in ml/min of test oil at 100 bar and 40°C with Shell oil V 1404 according to ISO 6584 comma 3 sub comma 431 test standard using a very expensive state-of-the-art machine that was built especially for Bosio. The flow tolerance is set to within 1% for the sprint, 0.5% for the Powerplus, and 0.2% for the race. The machine can hold tolerance less than 0.1% if needed. This oil flow is measured in the same direction as the normal flow of fuel during use an a car, IOW, from the inside out.

I wonder how the Nicktane measures nozzles. When they talk in liters per minute, that tells me compressed air at 50 psi, which is the "golden standard" with the truck nozzle guys. They connect a rubber hose to the outside of the nozzle tip and flow air in the reverse direction, in the tip and out the entrance. Adjust the air regulator to 50 psi, and guess the height of the metal ball bouncing up and down in the flow meter and "call it". One prominent vendor was quoted in a diesel mag as saying "we like to get the flow within one" (liter per minute of compressed air at 50 psi) For reference, we are talking about roughly 20 liters per minute for sprint 520 nozzles using this method. "within one" is +/- 5% if you can get it consistent each time, not counting the error from the flow gage, temperature differences, compressible medium, etc.

At Bosio EDM is cut into a fresh nozzle with no hole using CNC edm. tolerance at this stage is +-6%, which is slightly looser than the finished bosch. There are 3 steps to the "honing" after the initial EDM. initial flow measurement/cleaning, hydro-grinding, and cleaning/verification.

The hydro-grinding is done using a media with the same viscosity and flow characteristics as diesel fuel, but it contains proprietary sub-micron sized abrasive material suspended in the oil. The flow is measured in real time as the nozzle is matched to the target flow. there is very little material removed during this process, which intended more as a de-burring than anything.

THis is the way Bosch nozzles are made at the Bosch factory, and the process is state-of-the-art.

WHen the bosio nozzes are packaged, a heavy grease type material is applied to the inner and outer surfaces to stop corrosion. That's what is seen and it doesn't have to be cleaned for the nozzle to be useable as it is soluble in diesel fuel.

EDM burn? it's in the wrong place on the nozzle. seems fishy.

I'll have to assume the nicktane manufacturing and test procedure is similar to what the truck guys have been doing for years:

EDM machine is typically one that's been previously used for medical equipment, and drills one hole at a time. The "real deal" costs about 400 grand and none of these guys can afford that. They take a genuine Bosch nozzle, and line up the machine with each hole individually, and drill with the edm electrode to make the hole bigger. There is no ability to vary the profile through the depth of the hole, and the leading edge tends to be rough. You can make the holes any size you wish, however. Extreme care must be taken by the operator, because even the 0.5 degrees misalignment in any axis will destroy the integrity of the original hole. It's not uncommon to see "twinning" or a figure eight on the inside of an aftermarket EDM'ed nozzle. When this happens, the operator will just pretend it's all right, and send it on to the customer anyway, because he doesn't want to eat the cost of a new nozzle, and if it smokes: "it's a high flow nozzle, what do you expect"

The extrude honing process uses a much higher viscosity media than the test oil, and it is an iterative process. Flow is measured, then the operator estimates the flow time based on the media used and the operator's experience. The cutting media is forced through the nozzle for the calculated time, then the nozzle is cleaned and the flow measured. If it's close enough, done, if not, it may be cut again with a different lower viscosity media. The heavier the media, the more it cuts. If the operator overshoots one nozzle, he may just ignore it and go on to the next one, or try to bring the others in line, which means increasing the flow on the other 3 to match. But that's more work, and unless the customer is a very special one, or paid extra, errors of a few percent are just considered part of the game.

Extrude honing is not in itself bad, because every major manufacturer uses some form of "hydro-grinding" to polish and deburr the flow passages. But this hydrogrinding is only for the last 5% or so of the flow, and to match the nozzles to a flow standard. The problem comes from trying to cut too much. the seat of the needle gets cut, and the needle won't seal as well between injections. This causes a nozzle to not chatter and it could even stream fuel or bleed down between injections.

It also affects the outside if the hole in a drastic way. Here is an example of a nozzle that's been cut far too much

This is my definition of "crude" It's a relative word, and I think it's appropriate in this case.

I'm sorry if that word offends you, Nick, but I don't think it begins to balance out all the 275 posts in that other thread, laying the groundwork for your new product release, savaging both the competing product and me personally.

Last edited:

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
KERMA said:
Here is an example of a nozzle that's been cut far too much:

This is my definition of "crude" It's a relative word, and I think it's appropriate in this case.

I'm sorry if that word offends you, Nick, but I don't think it begins to balance out all the 275 posts in that other thread, laying the groundwork for your new product release, savaging both the competing product and me personally.
<cough> I think my water's boiled for my tea.

edit:
Pretty sure that's a pic of an early Boost Engineering nozzle from a long long time ago. 2 years ago at TDI Fest there was a silent auction for a new set of nozzles from Boost Engineering- another vendor wanted for someone, anyone to get a set installed in their car, as the "Bosio or death." mantra runs pretty strong in North America. Nobody tries them, nobody talks about them, so nobody winds up buying them- leading to no competition, which of course, is fantastic for the consumer. Less options is always great.

Charlie won the auction. Never heard about those nozzles since (aside from some sub 13 second cars in europe running them).

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
johnnloki!!
Quote......"(aside from some sub 13 second cars in europe running them)."
Now this a good statement/claim........do you know who/which cars in Europe are running sub 13 sec's with these nozzles be them ve or Pd? names & cars please!!

ndamico!!! Were the tests that were conducted on all the nozzles with compressed air in the way that Kerma suggested yes or no.........because if they were then the tests are nil and void!!! (WHY!!) well lets for instance run 100% bio through them and test which will flow the best/more consistent......and while where at it we'll push it through at 16,000psi no change that we'll do it at 30psi:rolleyes: (you see where i'm coming from!) no i bet you don't!! =

In the so called search for the supposidly holly grail of nozzle performance why were'nt other nozzles like the DSS nozzle included/investigated.......well bosch we can bash them because its just like doing the same to the stealerships and we all do that with no recrimination etc , Chinese nozzles well they've got such a big following (NOT!) and then there's Bosio Uum thinking the other 2 were just red herrings! "and i don't want to upset DSS at they do have a following in Europe and would definetly have something to say ..............can you say liable & court!

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Just a side note..........where talking about 2 injection systems one of which is much older than the other in terms of being in the market place VE and the other PD , and although you will still be able to buy injectors for these systems via the oem route in the manufaturing world there both obsolete in terms of being in the forefront of technology.

So while we think companies like bosio should be on the ball in respect of quality control and manufacturing all the nozzles/sizes that we want which i mite add they don't do a bad job concidering there main business is someware else................if not then this company would have been closed down years ago and by the way although the chines copy just about everything and in some cercomstances too well there actually licensed to do so.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
johnnloki said:

yes myfriend!! that car is fast and its for one not just running on straight diesel and if said nozzles are what you/they claim i know we have been asking to buy said nozzles from said certain people and up to press nothing has ever turned up let along what badge they support.........now if you or i had such a great product would you want to sell even a few sets:rolleyes:

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
ndamico

Your post is very interesting, however it can only accepted as here-say evidence.
ndamico said:
I then sent them off to have them tested.
For your results to be more credible I would like to see the test results as provided by the unnamed testing facility, as well as their methodology.

ndamico said:
Both the Bosch and Chinese nozzles came sealed in individual plastic tubes.
Would you show the packaging of the Bosch nozzles with part numbers please. There are alot of counterfeit parts floating around these days. Which Bosch dealer in Wisconsin did you use?

For the record, I am not in the "Bosio is the holy grail" club.

I am a big proponent of facts however, and good proven scientific method.

J.P.

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
johnnloki said:
<cough> Charlie won the auction. Never heard about those nozzles since (aside from some sub 13 second cars in europe running them).
Yep, that is what I remember:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=188950&highlight=firad

It's amazing when you reflect back on archives with the knowledge of the present available about how certain vendors conduct business over the years. :(

mojogoes said:
you know who/which cars in Europe are running sub 13 sec's with these nozzles be them ve or Pd? names & cars please!!
StingrayRT seems to still like his Firad nozzles

Last edited:

ccvdubs

Vendor
TDI
03 GOLF GLS
jptbay said:
ndamico
For your results to be more credible I would like to see the test results as provided by the unnamed testing facility, as well as their methodology.
J.P.
Please give us this info.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Charlie, i will tell you the same thing i told you in the fateful chat conversation the other day that started all of this when you accused the man i was having my nozzles tested by to be a liar and said he was trying to sell me Nick's nozzles (he never did, in fact i bought a new set of PP357's from him that he made no money on after my set with 10k on them were shown to be junk).

I told you to get data. I told you that to compete among the scientifically minded you needed proof your product is superior with scientific evidence. You have a point calling into question Nick's flow testing technique... now document yours, and lets see some numbers.

The 'conspiracy' to destroy you is called capitalism. Time to actually step up and prove yourself. All the mudslinging in the world cant stand up to 2 matching data reports from 2 independently certified testing shops.

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Quote "All the mudslinging in the world cant stand up to 2 matching data reports from 2 independently certified testing shops."

Which were who!!

Jptbay........i also like scientific facts:) :rolleyes: but there's things other than facts going on here.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
what throttling effect would the rounded hole entrances of the extrude-honed nozzles have, at low needle lifts?

Would flow start/stop more (or less) cleanly than with the sharp edge of the standard nozzle hole?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I, too, think that we need information about testing procedures and practices before we can determine anything from this thread. I appreciate the effort to test all of the various nozzles available, and I think that everything has been compiled very nicely. However, without the sources and types of tests being run, the data gathered is out of context.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I would like to see more testing of control nozzles. OEM Bosch 5-speed nozzles, OEM Bosch 205 and 216 nozzles. The flow rates here don't seem right...

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Terms like a hundred and XX flow over standard gives it away slightly:rolleyes:.............while it maybe possible to make twice the hp from larger nozzles that give around 30/40% more flow is one thing but a nozzle that is supposidly gives 1xx+ flow would probably totally fail in the atomization stakes...........big rigs have this style of oversized nozzle and we see the direct effect of that.:( .

VeeDubTDI

TDI
100% flow over stock would result in 180 hp from a 90 hp engine if you assume a 1:1 fuel:hp ratio. I don't know what the actual ratio is, so this comment may be null and void. :)

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
It seems like you guy are making some oversimplified assumptions. Just because has the capability to flow X percentage over stock doesn't mean you will make Y amount of power. The nozzle can't flow what the pump can't deliver. On top of that you have a host of other factors and I think very few of us completely understand fluid dynamics.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Quote.....
100% flow over stock would result in 180 hp from a 90 hp engine if you assume a 1:1 fuel:hp ratio
Lol no this is not so and like vwmikel has said is a totally over simplified statement.......you get 30hp from a first stage map with the usual standard nozzles.....now how much in real terms has the fuel flow now been lifted 30%:rolleyes: i think not.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I hear what you guys are saying, and you're absolutely right. You were picking on the OP for saying that a nozzle that flows 100% over stock is totally absurd and unheard of, and using that to discredit him. I'm simply saying that it's not completely unrealistic for a nozzle to have 100% more flow over stock. Is it a nozzle that you would want on your TDI? Maybe not... but that doesn't mean it can't flow that much.

I'm not a total retard. :rolleyes:

Let's assume that nozzle A flows x amount of fuel and is limited to 100 hp. Nozzle B flows 100% more fuel than nozzle A. Assuming that the pump can provide that amount of fuel, and you can get enough air into the engine to burn it efficiently, you could assume that nozzle B would provide approximately 200 hp. This is all hypothetically speaking, of course.

Last edited:

ndamico

TDI
Guys as I said you are free to accept or reject this. I had this testing done for my own information. I put it up here for you benefit. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Just like religion, believe what you want or don't. It matters not to me.

And I won't be revealing who did my testing for 2 reasons- One they don't want people calling them asking them questions about how they do what they do etc. They are a very busy shop. The second reason is their testing method is something they consider proprietary. They have told me part of how they do it but the exact details are not even known to me. They are one of the top injector manufactures for the diesel truck market and they don't want to make duplicating their work any easier for the competition. By explaining their testing methods completely they would help to do that.

The flow testing method is designed with 2 goals in mind. The first goal is repeatability. They have to be able to take the same nozzle and test it over and over, days, weeks apart and get the same result. The second goal is to show variation. They want to be able to show slight flow differences in nozzles as this helps them to maintain strict tolerances for their own products.

VeeDubTDI - with regard to your post of 100% over would give you 100% more HP. Engines aren't 100% efficient and seem to be less efficient the harder we push them. Larger injectors allow you to get fuel in quicker so less chasing the piston down the hole but eventually you compromise larger holes for low speed drivability. Granted they have to get pretty big but I'm just saying there is no free lunch so to speak. I run nozzles in my dmax that are about 40% over stock. Some guys run ones that are 100% over. You have to understand that pressure as well as designed flow of the stock nozzle makes a big difference when deciding how big to go. Example- my stock dmax dynos 246RWHP. By changing only tuning the best you can get is about 500RHWP. Add a turbo and you can get 600+. Stock turbo and nitrous and I’ve done a best of 721RWHP with stock nozzles. It seems the TDI nozzles don't have as much leeway in their stock form which is why such large aftermarket ones exist. Lower pressure (non-CR) older Cummins engines are a good example. When making huge HP numbers the % over stock size injector those engines run is ridiculous:eek:. As to what someone would want to put in their TDI? I think based on what most people here seem to have; a small upgrade is the answer. Face it most people on this site aren't trying to push things as far as they can to make a big HP #. They don't want to blow their engine up or considerably shorten the life of it. It just isn't what they want to do with the car.

DPM - the reason you don't see an EDM'd nozzle that rounded on the inside is because it can't be. The EDM wire cuts from outside-in. rounding the inside of the holes causes the fuel to flow smoother through the nozzle as they are less rough transitions. Because of this a honed nozzle will outflow an EDM's nozzle with a hole of equivalent size.

Someone asked about the packaging of the Bosch nozzles. I don't have it anymore but DBW broke the seals on the tubes and installed them on a set of bodies for me so I’m sure he believes they were authentic. Bosch part # was 2437010059 and I purchased them from Huckstorf Diesel: http://www.hdiesel.com/service.asp. I'd bet my life that they sold me genuine Bosch parts.

As I said guys this isn't a sales pitch for my nozzles. I didn't write this thread that way or with that intent. I only mentioned it because if I didn't someone would have probably accused me of hiding that and having an ulterior motive. Anyone who would like to discuss them is free to PM me but I don't feel right comparing them to Bosio (or the Chinese ones for that matter) in this thread. I don't market products that way.

Hopefully you all had a good Mother's day. I'm off to go see mine.

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
Nick so far so good .. K . I tried to reply last night but the wi-fi was goin nut's . Dude way to much typing and info .. The proof will be in the pudding when I dyno and race .. First run thoughts ? Power great , smokes like a chinese Laundry at 18 psi and 1900 rpm .. fuel mileage good
45 nicknozzles 48 7 hole race .. Normal driving of course ! Pulls like crazy !! Can't wait to run NOS with these .. Results to come . So far just BLah blah blah and theory .. LATER THANKS Rich !

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
ndamico!!............you have said all this with in your first post your repeating youself and although you state that your not in this to do any damage to bosio nozzles or to sell your version of a good/better nozzle your not doing a bad job...........your saying/posting a lot!!

I'll take a set of your new r520 nozzles but i guess thats not the market that your aiming at and which said nozzle funnily enough some how did rather well on your test:rolleyes: but hey i put them in my motor and see what there like........or you could also send cog a set of your re-worked PP764's.

P.S.........by the way! will you be using you own designated injector p# or someone elses?

volucris

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Golf CL
Id like to see a set tthe flow the same as stock. Running those would demonstrate wether the technique results in cleaner / more efficient burning of the fuel.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
vwmikel said:
On top of that you have a host of other factors and I think very few of us completely understand fluid dynamics.
Technically, nobody dead or living ever did or does.

;)

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Two unanswered questions in this thread are bothering me.

#1. What happend to the injectors that Kerma bought and what were the real world results from using them?

#2. Why would anyone believe in "Secret" testing proceedures that cannot be verified?

I don't have an iron in this fire, except for the fact that I am in the market for nozzles and nonsense like "secret testing" and vendors buying competing products that dissapear never to be heard from again make me wonder if I should even bother upgrading my car.

========================

Edit 9/10/10, after getting feedback from real world applications I bought Nick's nozzles for my car.

Last edited: